• This topic has 85 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by emsz.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Phil ill.
  • willard

Heard him turn up the other night, and saw Chas arrive the next day.

He’s in good hands (have had work done there myself), so he should be ok. All the same, I wish him a speedy recovery and a happy (well, what’s left of it) Christmas.

I also wish the same to his family. There are some things that _no_ family should go through, and having a family member fall ill, especially this close to such a family time, must be tough for them. It’s just a good thing he’ll be coming back to them. Some other families may not be so lucky. Think of them as well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You never miss an opportunity to have a pop at the Big issues of PC gone Mad do you ernie.

😀 Not even on Christmas Day. Only you don’t pay attention Junkyard, I don’t have a problem political correctness “gone mad”, I have a problem with political correctness, full stop.

Maybe I should make the point more often ?

anagallis_arvensis

Wrecker you really are a tit.

Ho ho ho

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

DT78
    Free Member

Met him in October, very likeable and funny. Just before the opening of our building he declared “you are about to see the worlds most accomplished plaque unveiler at work!” Which got a decent laugh and made me think the chap has been doing things like this for decades….

Anyways I wish him a speedy recovery

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“you are about to see the worlds most accomplished plaque unveiler at work!”

90 years old and still working eh ? The man’s a legend.

DrJ

Really DrJ?

Oh, If only I was already aware of the fact that Phil had carried British Citizenship since birth!

Straw man, I’m afraid.

Nobody was taking a pop at Phil for being Greek, as he isn’t, but you were so desperate to trot your McNugget of trivia that you missed the point.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Can we stop calling him Phil and show a little bit more respect please ?

His proper name is Mr Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg Battenberg.

Although His Royal Highness/Prince Philip will do.

anagallis_arvensis

Changed my mind about him i **** love battenberg

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I thought you meant Consequence, not Windsor…

Inbred456
    Free Member

Well I like the man doesn’t suffer fools, tells it like it is, what you see is what you get. He’s a breath of fresh air in these PC times.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He’s a breath of fresh air in these PC times.

What does that even mean?

‘Oh, I like the fact that there’s someone ignorant, a bit racist and insensitive in these times where we (quite rightly) have to respect one another more than in the days of slavery, genocide and enforced colonialisation’

Is that what it means?

Inbred456
    Free Member

Would you rather somebody told you what they really thought good or bad or fed you a load of sh!t to keep you happy so you never actually know what they think. Wether you think he’s a biggot, racist or whatever was not the point. You are left in no doubt where he stands unlike 99% of our politicians.

anagallis_arvensis

Yep he stands just to the side of the top through the accident of his wifes birth

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh that Uncle Adolf; he was a bit racist but at least you knew where he stood, eh? 🙂

duckman

I call Goodwins ^

Inbred456
    Free Member

Whoa bit of a jump from Old Phil to uncle Adolf there Elfin. You really do have a rather large axe to grind. You can come across as rather bitter sometimes. You haven’t been disinherited from a stately pile in the past have you 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just making the point that just cos you ‘know where someone stands’, does not in any way mean they are worthy of respect or are to be commended for their candour…

Far from being a ‘breath of fresh air’, Phil is more like a stale, festering stench from the past.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well I like the man doesn’t suffer fools, tells it like it is, what you see is what you get. He’s a breath of fresh air in these PC times.

He doesn’t suffer fools yet it would appear that his antiquated attitude to foreigners is in itself foolish, how this can be deemed as a breath of fresh air is a bit strange.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Agree with you on the first point but disagree with your second point Elfin. Lots of charity work inc the WWF. His life really hasn’t been his own since he married Liz. Duty always coming before family. He is antiquated because he’s from another era, I’m not saying what he does is right or wrong but its honest.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I haven’t seen any evidence that Prince Philip is a racist. He himself is of extraordinary racial mixture, as far as I can figure out he has German, Danish, English, Greek, Russian, Polish, Norwegian, and Swedish, in him. I reckon the Scandinavian/Mediterranean/Slavic man has far more of a racial mix in his blood than most people on the planet.

There’s plenty of evidence however, that he’s a bit of a comedian who likes a laugh and to take the piss – including out of himself. And as someone who deeply appreciates the fine and noble art of piss-taking I have no problem with that.

In fact I think he makes the ideal consort for the queen – they are indeed the perfect double act. She on the one hand, has to be all aloof, regal, ultra polite and diplomatic to heads of states/governments and dignitaries, whilst he on the other hand shuffles off with his hands behind his back to speak to the commoners and takes the piss and have a chuckle.

He brings comedy value and a human touch to otherwise deary, boring, and predictable, pomp and ceremony. Well that’s the impression I get anyway. Yes he sometimes goes to the very edge but so what – I’ve never seen an example where imo he’s crossed the line. If some people are mortified by his tongue in cheek remarks then they really need to loosen up and not take life so seriously. IMO

bruneep
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I haven’t seen any evidence that Prince Philip is a racist

Well, he might not openly advocate genocide and racial purity, but he’s made enough comments to suggest he’s pretty bloody insensitive and lacks respect for those of other cultures. Which, considering his education and the extent of his global travels, is pretty disappointing for a mayn who is sposed to be setting an example as a member of the Royal family; people we humble subjects are meant to look up to.

I reckon the Scandinavian/Mediterranean/Slavic man has far more of a racial mix in his blood than most people on the planet.

Not more than me, so if I say he’s a racist then he is. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thanks for that bruneep ….. I laughed until I had to wipe the tears from my eyes ! 😀

Yes some of them were a bit iffy but I also know that some of the examples are a bit economical and don’t give the whole picture. One was clearly darn right factually incorrect :

61. “So you’re responsible for the kind of crap Channel Four produces!” Speaking to then chairman of the channel, Michael Bishop, in 1962.

There was no Channel Four in 1962…….very sloppy.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not more than me….

Well you’ve never mentioned the other half a dozen countries your family originates from, or more than two recognised racial groups, but fair point.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, there’s Celt, Norse, Anglo-Saxon, Norman and very possibly East Yerpean on me mum’s side, and on me Dad’s, probbly all sorts too. Plus I’m brahyn, so I reckon I trump him on the effnik mix side of things. 😀

I’d hazard a guess my DNA is form a larger genetic pool than Phill’s….

(Just heard Les Dawson say ‘Elfin creature of pure delight’ on’t telly. 😀 )

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well, there’s Celt, Norse, Anglo-Saxon, Norman and very possibly East Yerpean on me mum’s side

I reckon HRH beats you on both sides on that count.

Plus I’m brahyn, so I reckon I trump him

Typical, your sorts always try to use skin colour as an advantage. And, you’re not even a proper brown.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpqfwt_cLg[/video]

duckman

I run the DoE award in my school;as old as he is,he comes to the award ceremony in Edinburgh on a baking hot July day and speaks to everybody there,probably taking 2-3 hours to do so.I actually LIKE the idea that we have a grumpy old un-PC war vet making the various PR people cringe. Just my tuppence like,based on having met him three times,so of no use on a discussion on STW I suppose.

anagallis_arvensis

Cant speak for others but my view on him as a royal far exceeds my view on him as a bit of of a ****. The concept of royalty is abhorent to me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Interesting you should say that duckman, because ironically it was his quips at/about children in bruneep’s list which particularly had me wiping the laughter tears from my eyes. They reminded me of one of the greatest comedians ever – W. C. Fields.

I don’t know whether HRH writes all his own material, I suspect he does, but a great deal of it reminded me of the grumpy child-hating sexist W. C. Fields, he just needs to throw a bit in about being a committed alcoholic.

Although some of it has a touch of the Frankie Boyle about it :

“If it has four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it.” Said to a World Wildlife Fund meeting in 1986.

“If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.” Of his daughter, Princess Anne.

I think it’s brilliant that he’s able to brighten up his life with real life trolling and piss-taking without a care in the world of the social ranking of the recipient, I’m quite jealous. Poor ol’ Lizzie must get exasperated with him and have to constantly bollock him after politely and diplomatically patching things up.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Poor ol’ Lizzie must get exasperated with him and have to constantly bollock him after politely and diplomatically patching things up.

“I can’t bally well take him anywhere”

IanW
    Free Member

Wasnt really worried, he’s an old boy whos had an undoubtedly good innings. After reading this thread however I hope in lives on at least long enough to see Junkyard, AA and Elfinsafety peg it unhappily.

What a miserable lot.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hold on; I don’t wish him any ill, so why are you saying nasty things about me?

I merely expressed my onion as to his character, not that I wish to see him suffer or owt.

Now Fatcha, on the other haynd….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Typical, your sorts always try to use skin colour as an advantage. And, you’re not even a proper brown.

😮

Yes I am! Checked it with the Dulux colour chart and Pantone Reference Guide.

Northwind

Elfinsafety – Member

I’d hazard a guess my DNA is form a larger genetic pool than Phill’s….

To be fair, he’s european royalty, they have a gene-teacup rather than a gene-pool. Except the ginger one obviously.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Harry’s not of ‘Royal Blood’, is he? Or was Diana somehow related by blood to the Royal family? You never know with that lot.

The Harry thing should be sorted out, once and for all. If he’s not of ‘true Royal Blood’, then he shoon’t be being subsidised by taxpayers, regardless of all the good stuff he does in hekelopters and that. Nowt against the lad, but if the rules of the Monarchy are gonna be so strict, then let’s have some transparency here. Cos if he started having kids then they’ll get all the privileges of Royalty and that’ll just make a mockery of the whole thing.

Must be awful for him though, not knowing the absolute truth about who yer real dad is. 🙁

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Or was Diana somehow related by blood to the Royal family?

Yep, Diana was related to Charles. And the other geezer she was shagging, nor sure of his name – Hewitt? was also related. If Harry looks like Hewitt then it’s just as likely to be simply because Hewitt was related to Charles.

My brother’s son looks more like me than he does him, in fact he’s the spitting image of me when I was his age (apparently my nephew annoys him by reminding him 😀 ) But I’ve not shagged his missus, I can assure you.

nick1962
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

90 gaffs by phil

90 gaffs by phil

Some classics there,streets ahead of Frankie Boyle et al

emsz
    Free Member

His proper name is Mr Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg Battenberg.

is that true ❓

I have surname jealousy!!

Hope he gets better soon, being in hospital this time of year who-ever you are is rubbish.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Phil ill.’ is closed to new replies.