• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by accu.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • PF BB30 not lasting!
  • dorsetknob
    Free Member

Got a 2012 Specialized camber carbon that eats bottom brackets, original ones done 3/4 months doing 40ish miles a week, tried a praxis bb lasted the same tried ceramic bearings all the same. Everything has been professionally fitted and bike gets washed by bucket and brush. Have now ordered a Hope BB and new chainset. Anyone else having problems, I weigh 13 stone ride SPD’s so not over hard on pedals.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yup. I replace one fairly regularly for a friend. We’ve settled on a Wheels Manufacturing unit which takes a standard bearing which is cheap to replace (£20/pair tops) and has the advantage that the cups stay in the frame so you’re not wearing the frame out refitting cups all the time.

dudeofdoom

I think I’m doing my lurcher ones every 6 months.Normally use cheap token ones but did find some ceramic ones on eBay for 16 pound which I’ve just popped in and don’t seem too bad..

I’d just make sure your preloading the crank properly as well.

I’m doing 70miles a week on a clean cycle path .. Bike gets washed by nature…

I was tempted to go for hope but Its the commute bike so gets less love 🙂

oldnpastit

I thought PF30 was renowned for failing prematurely?

I think you’re supposed to put loctite on it which might help?

(Not a BB expert, just read a lot of random internet pages trying to fix my BB86 bottom bracket).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, loctite won’t make any difference to how long the bearings last

hillsplease

Hope here. One of the bearings ran dry after 12 months, popped the seal refilled and all good after 40hrs on it on S Wales finest trails in the sleeting rain for about half of it. Hope BB tool works for pushing bearings in but you need a drift/bodge to get ’em out and the right fitting tool to fit the thing in the first place. Seems more sensible as a design than direct fit.

Ordered a new bike without bb30 – at 17st can’t notice the difference in BB stiffness so knickers to it.

accu
    Free Member

since i changed for the hope everything is fine…
    all others before failed sooner or later..
    made my own hope BB tool,
    not because of the money..was just impatient..
    quick solution, but worked perfect..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘PF BB30 not lasting!’ is closed to new replies.