Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Petrolheads – car recommendation please
  • chewkw
    Free Member

All my petrolhead mates in the far east voted for Suzuki Swift Sport (but they prefer 4 doors) so there must be something good about it to warrant their support.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

There is no such thing as hot hatch that comes with fuel economy. It’s like saying you want the F1 cars to run on half the fuel load …

True if you are talking petrol. But why pay the same amount to run a car with 120bhp as oppose to 180-200bhp.

djglover
    Free Member

Just to put this out there, as I do every time a petrol head what car thread comes up.

This is my motorway trip door to door mpg from my 330i at 260 bhp (so includes some town driving). Other running costs are inline with any modern car, and less chance of visits to the dealer due to turbo issues as the engine is normally aspirated and hard as nails

So owning a fastish car needn’t break the bank. My fuel bill has gone up by 25-30% over owning a skoda diesel, but everything else is similar and less risk of a big bill IMHO…

So my suggestion, BMW 130i!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Lets face it if your going from a rwd 2 seater sports car to anything fwd its going to be dull in comparison.

So just get a bog standard car with enough power for over taking and leave it at that.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Lets face it if your going from a rwd 2 seater sports car to anything fwd its going to be dull in comparison.

Really? MX5 was one of the most boring cars I’ve owned. ITR and SSS both far more exciting to drive.

chewkw
    Free Member

mtbmatt – Member

True if you are talking petrol. But why pay the same amount to run a car with 120bhp as oppose to 180-200bhp.

Yes, I was referring to petrol … D’oh!

Anyway, you simply cannot have best of both world …

My next buy will be a Toyota Landcruiser 4×4 4.7 litre turbo diesel monster tank that squash all maggots on the road. 😈

attractivefish
    Free Member

Really? MX5 was one of the most boring cars I’ve owned.

Which Mk Mx5 would this be then?

djglover
    Free Member

So just get a bog standard car with enough power for over taking and leave it at that.

Sorry, thats horseshit.

Look at the range of hot hatches, some come with LSD and more than double the power of an elise / mx5. You have clearly never driven anything like this fast to come up with that statement

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Which Mk Mx5 would this be then?

Mk1. Not that it really matters, as they are all 2 seater, RWD “sportscars”.

hora
    Free Member

Fiesta Zetec S.

Thread clossed. Better in many many areas and yet everyday transport.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Megane RS – cheap to run??

OP – Panda 100 and Fabia VRS appear to tick most boxes.

As well as the Swift that is.

hora
    Free Member

Fabia? Avoid any VW product IMO.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nissan Sunny/Pulsar GTI-R

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Look at the range of hot hatches, some come with LSD and more than double the power of an elise / mx5. You have clearly never driven anything like this fast to come up with that statement

The thing is, it’s not all about power, or straight line speed, or 0 – 60 times. As I said above, I test drove a GTi with DSG last year and it felt like the proverbial off a shovel, even compared to a Boxster S and an Elise. On paper it was slower to accelerate, but because the gear changes were so smooth and perfect, it flew. The thing is, it was boring. Fast, but boring.

I remember driving a battered old van belonging to my father-in-law. It wasn’t fast by any measure, but it was involving and every input resulted in a satisfying output. It was fun. Whatever I get, it’s got to be a pleasure to drive first and foremost.

CountZero

Fabia? Avoid any VW product IMO.

🙄

somafunk

It you want an involving drive that you have to work for and give you feedback then i would discount any modern hot hatch with esp, traction control, abs etc, and i understand what you say about the new DSG GTI’s, far too heavy to be anything more than fun in a straight line for the first few times but dull as an IT seminar everywhere else.

I guess it depends on whether you want something that you can fettle with or something you just jump into and drive, i’m quite impressed with my mates civic type r (old style), really sweet handling little car and infinitely adjustable suspension for camber/caster/trail if you like that sort of thing and know what your doing.

hora
    Free Member

Correction MODERN souless VW products

Mr-Rubble
    Free Member

Surely a Volvo 480 is the answer.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

something that you can fettle with or something you just jump into and drive

Absolutely the latter.

TheFlyingOx

Surely a Volvo 480 is the answer.

That’s a good shout.

somafunk

In that case what about Honda S2000?, if you can get over the possible hairdresser jibs. front engined, rear wheel drive, fantastic chassis, very involving to drive, utterly reliable, jump in and go, no fettling needed, built and designed by the same team who built / designed the Honda NSX, very cheap 2nd hand prices for what is regarded as one of the best sportscars to come out of japan.

If i had to have another car i’d seriously consider one.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

S2000? Nah, only 2 seats. One of the main criteria is space for kiddies in the back. I did actually look briefly at the S2000 when I bought the Elise. It does nothing for me aesthetically.

TheFlyingOx

Could “cheap to run” be exchanged for “cheap to buy”?

If so, Celica ST4. Bombproof engine, 4 seats, can get 30mpg+ if you’re careful.

I still reckon Civic Type R is the one though, especially if you don’t want to spend weekends under the bonnet. My mate’s missus has one, and it seems quite sedate on the granny cam. Whatever car you get, the mpg will be tragic if you boot it everywhere.

fruitbat

Mrs Fruitbat has one of these here Abarth Puntos

It certainly is fun and not nearly as common as some of the other suggestions above.

hora
    Free Member

Oooo nice

hora
    Free Member

Oooo nice

monkey_boy
    Free Member

clio 197 cup

tinsy
    Free Member

Cooper S?
    Actually scrap that, you need 5 doors with Kiddies, its a pain only having 2 doors.

titusrider
    Free Member

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned the Alfa Mito yet?

I’ve got the 135bhp but there is a 170bhp cloverleaf both of which will do real world 40mpg and are bloody good fun. Worth a test drive at very least.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Depends on your appetite for insurance and road tax, these are available pretty cheaply for what you get

Golf R32
    Audi S3
    Imprezza WRX (bit flash but fantastic driving cars)

hora
    Free Member

I was 😮 at just how thirsty the WRX is in every day driving. Alot of owners say low 20’s in easy/relaxed driving

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Some good suggestions here. I think some of them (e.g. Golf R32) aren’t going to quite hit the mark of what I’m trying to achieve, which is more money in the bank and seats for kids (OK, so the seats bit is of course sorted). I looked at the R32 before getting the Boxster. I actually quite liked it but it was expensive to run for “just” a Golf; the tax was £400 a year!

I’ve had the Boxster 13 months or so and have got 28mpg out of it. Most of those miles are open country B and A roads, since I’m lucky enough that I don’t have to commute through busy traffic or towns and cities. I don’t drive like it’s stolen every time I get in it, but I make progress and love the way it drives…except when there’s even a tiny smattering of snow on the ground (the rear wheels are about as wide as the English Channel).

The rear seats don’t need to be big and comfortable for long journeys, but do need to be big enough to get booster seats in (not full-on child seats). It’s only occasional short trips that the kids will be in there. I’d also like something that doesn’t give me palpitations when it’s time for a service or new tyres.

I think the problem with owning a car that is expensive to run is that it’s stopped me doing other stuff l like to do, like nice holidays. I just need to balance the fun budget a bit more evenly 🙂

ben
    Free Member

Clio Cup would be my choice.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

I have a MK5 Golf 140 bhp diesel which after putting decent tyres on and having it mapped is pretty fun to drive. Can get between 55-60 mpg on longer drives and is only £135 a year road tax.

After moving to a more rural area I had to pick up a cheap 2nd car so I didn’t leave my Mrs stranded whilst at work. I picked up a Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T. S reg (1998) with only 98,000 miles and FSH for £1200 from Gumtree and to be honest it’s in fantastic condition for its age and is completely standard. I feel it’s better built than my newer Golf and tend to spend more time in the older car.

Had an Ibiza FR previously and can recommend that as a fun car to drive. Bit hard on the roads and always paranoid I’d get a flat if I went through a pothole in the winter.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looking at your past history of cars, you obviously appreciate quality stuff, rather than just powerfull engined boring cars.

IMO I’d get some thing nice and boring like a Mondeo with enough power to make progress through traffic. ie 130hp is perfectly fine. I went from sports cars in to ‘hot hatch territary cars’ and they just are not the same and will always dissapoint.

Then with the pennies you have saved buy a nice toy. Well thats my plan anyhow, a nice Westfield or some thing to build at the weekend, and and safe sensible car for driving children/dogs around in.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

FunkyDunc, I get the logic behind this, but I don’t want a “project” nor do I want (or can afford) a third car. I like fettling with my bicycles, but I don’t have the time or inclination to do the same with cars. I’ve already done the 130bhp Mondeo 🙂

I think you’re bang on with the hot hatches though. As cars get more and more refined, with more driver aids, the faster you have to drive them to find them fun. That’s not what I want. I’d rather have something less powerful but fun. This is why I’m thinking “warm hatch” like the Swift Sport.

What I really need is some test drives 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Petrolheads – car recommendation please’ is closed to new replies.