Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Petition the government to allow Postmen to keep using their bikes
  • TimS
    Free Member

I just saw this via Sustrans:
    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Royalmailbikes/

jam-bo

have any of these petitions ever been acted on?

oldfart

I think you'll find it's too late .Already well under way , bikes headed for the 3rd world or the scrap heap .

westkipper
    Free Member

To be honest, the thing that'll stop posties using bikes isn't any new rule, its simple workload.
    As far as I know, there's no walks in central or east Scotland done with bikes anymore and I find it unimaginable to think of me using one.
    Frankly, if you're able to use a bike your walks too easy by at least 100kg. 😐

postierich
    Free Member

As our bike mechanic I,m storing the scrap bikes so I always will have the choice.
    Tis a stupid decision they want is all to van share and work from the van doing short loops.

Rich

Signed btw

postierich
    Free Member

Frankly, if you're able to use a bike your walks too easy by at least 100kg.

What a stupid comment 🙄

Like to see you do mine 😉

westkipper
    Free Member

Not a stupid comment postierich, nor the way I'd want it to be, but its the way things have gone up here, and lets be honest, the jobs not going to get any easier.
    BTW, It gets a bit daft when you get the keyboard hardmen squaring up to each other.
    Is this the first instance on here of forum posties giving it the 'who's got the hardest walk?' 🙂
    ( anyway, I'd win!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I haven't seen a postie on a bike for years. Ours walk and they have a lot of communal stairs to climb – so the bike would get nicked anyway

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    have any of these petitions ever been acted on?

72, 233 and counting, but still nothing

Odd, though, that it doesn't appear on the list of the largest petitions, even though it is the 2nd largest there is…..

To be honest, these petitions are a political sap from a government afraid of the electorate, designed to make you feel "involved", nothing more. Worthless.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if, and thats a big if, it's for efficiency then there's no problem is there.

only posties (over unionised?) seem to be able to resist changes in the job. everyone else just gets told how there job will change!

westkipper
    Free Member

I think in his last sentence that's the first time I've agreed with anything that CaptainFlashheart has ever said,
    Ulp! I hope I dont get the urge to buy a copy of the Daily Mail, or to send an asylum seeker back. 😯

vinnyeh

Out of curiosity, how do you do the job on bikes in this country?

I worked as a postie back in NZ for a while, and it was sensible to use a bike, what with the wide frontages, and mailboxes on the street you hardly had to slow down for letters, and only really stopped for parcels. I'm at a loss to see how a bike could be any use in this country, with most houses having narrow frontages and boxes set in doors back from the street. Or are houses built differently outside London?

njee20
    Free Member

All the posties in our (large) village use bikes, doesn't seem to cause them any problems! Our South African posie also wears shorts in any weather, has been solidly for the last few weeks, top bloke!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Country postie uses a bike and is a lovely chap, central to the village community. Town postie is a lazy rubber band dropping, gate-leaving open muppet.

😉

Kipper, I never read the Mail. Only person I know who does is my barber.

carlosg
    Free Member

Is this the first instance on here of forum posties giving it the 'who's got the hardest walk?'
    ( anyway, I'd win!

No you wouldn't , mine's really hard! 🙁

westkipper
    Free Member

Could it be,CFH, that that the bike-using country postie has only got 400 or so calls while the town one maybe has more than double?
    Its a lot harder to 'be a lovely chap' when you're getting shafted every day.
    (BtW I've done both rural and urban walks)

whatTree
    Free Member

Town posties around this way seem to prefer chucking their bags in the boot of the car, although it's so long since I saw one that I may have a jaded view of the past 😉 (I'm sure they'll be back when it's sunny again)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Petition the government to allow Postmen to keep using their bikes’ is closed to new replies.