• This topic has 132 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • People you used to like..
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

NICE?! I don’t want my rock stars to be NICE!

This. As long as they leave those kids alone.

RustySpanner

Graham Norton.
    He used to be funny, honest.

Charlie Brooker.

Mike Myers and Ben Stiller, until I read about how they treat people.

Peter Kay, because of the way he treated Dave Spikey.

Always assumed Mick Jones was the heart and soul of the Clash and Joe was a bit of a prima donna.
    Got that one wrong…..

DezB
    Free Member

Chris Evans is a good one – Liked him back in the Don’t Forget Your Toothbrush days. Can’t stand the sight (or sound) of him these days.

Nico
    Free Member

Anyone that would pigeonhole any form of music as ‘black’ attracts my immediate disdain.

I do beg your pardon. I meant to say “music by black people”. B B King, Robert Johnson, those people. You know, the ones that are black.

johndoh
    Free Member

So what if they are black?

Would anyone say ‘music by white/yellow/purple people’? Colour is a complete irrelevance to music.

RustySpanner

Not if you’re a pianist.

DezB
    Free Member

MOBO is right – music of black origin. (ie. nearly all of it 🙂 )

hooli

Guy Martin. Goes on and on about how he doesn’t like the publicity, doesn’t like everybody knowing his business and just wants to be a truck fitter but then keeps making TV shows, releasing books, hoodies etc.

Take your pick, be a millionaire who gets to do cool stuff or be a truck fitter, you cant have it both ways.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m with Colin Firth on the wanting out of post-Brexit Britain.

As for Bowie, he made a comment about wanting to be a fascist dictator when he was off his bean on coke, during his thin white duke days. I don’t think that the actually meant anything by it and certainly was a key player in Rock Against Racism (set up after the infamous Clapton comments).

Now, Gary Glitter originally wanted to call himself Terry Tinsel. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.

Finally, I’m also quite anti-Tory but I do have a friend who’s father worked with both John Major and Tony Blair. Apparently, Major really is quite a decent chap who took a keen interest in his colleagues and their families. Blair is allegedly a massive knobber, but you already knew that.

johndoh
    Free Member

ie. nearly all of it

Is so true. But I still see it as putting lines in the sand which needn’t be there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Brexiters, all their autobiographies are written in 1976 and in crayon dawbs and spittle encrusted.

slowoldman

Very disappointed in Brian Pern when it came out he wasn’t dead after all.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Colour is a complete irrelevance to music.

bullshit. slavery & blues can’t be seperated.

oomidamon

Murray Walker – the voice of motorsport my a***. A mate of mine was trying to organise a grasstrack race in Hampshire and guess who was the ringleader of the NIMBYs who blocked it?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

my in laws.

actually, tell a lie….

Looked after the kids today while we’re at work. Sat in front of the TV all day while FIL downloaded the entire internet via torrents. drank all the milk so no bedtime milk for the kids. 4 items on a shopping list of things we needed. got one. didnt think the list was for them. FIL then slept on my daughters bed, ignoring the fact the bed was stripped as she had an accident last night, and he slept on top of the clean bedding but didn’t think to chuck a sheet on….. oh a moaned that his teeth were giving him jip while munching on a family size portion of crunchy nut cornflakes (30g sugar per 100g cereal? seems healthy huh)

mother in law doesn’t wash up put puts tiny bits of water in the cups to “let them soak” and hangs rank dishcloth type things over every tap in the house to “let them air”

God then annoy me something rotten
    rant over. they’re back in the morning. yay.

binners

Morriseys journey from sensitive, articulate, witty, Mancunian lefty whinge-bag to LA dwelling, flag-waving, UKIP-supporting Farage-with-a-quiff has been pretty spectacular

slowoldman

Can blue men sing the whites?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I have a signed copy of John Major’s autobiography. As someone who’s rabidly anti-tory after reading it I quite liked him.

He went from being “all right for a Tory” to plain old “all right”, if anything he was more left of centre than Tony Blair, did a lot of good in his short-ish go and did little bad which isn’t easy for a PM.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Anthony Kiedis.

frankly I went off him with the coffee-table schlock that was Californication but the autobiography really sealed it

Same, I got as far as him treating Hepatitis with Ozone injections and wrote him off as another La La Land Pseudo-science fashion victim.

I mean, seriously the more than a decade spanning heroin addict is worried about his Ozone levels.

SaxonRider

I’m totally with you, thomthumb. johndoh, I don’t know how much time you have spent in the USA, but if you go to New Orleans, Memphis, or Detroit, for example, you will find that black history and pride in the (mind-blowing) music it has produced, nullifies your seemingly naïve position.

Music grows out of a people’s experience. It may be synthesised with other forms later, or shared by others after it has marinated among the originating people(s), but it has to start somewhere first and emerge later.

Delta Blues reflects Black experience
    Gospel reflects Black experience
    Motown reflects Black experience

Just by way of a few examples.

But back to topic: I have a hard time believing that Clapton said what has been quoted of him, above. Are you sure that isn’t completely taken out of context? IIRC, he was a huge admirer of Jimi Hendrix – as both a musician and a person.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

David Mitchell- liked the peep show, but now he makes a living being a shouty twit on panel shows.
    Lemmy- used to think he was kinda cool rock ‘n’ roll rebel. Turns out nazi memorabilia collecting sad loner.
    The Oasis brothers- when they 1st came I was learning to play the guitar and their 1st two albums were good to play along with. Now they’re up their own a.holes

SaxonRider

He went from being “all right for a Tory” to plain old “all right”, if anything he was more left of centre than Tony Blair, did a lot of good in his short-ish go and did little bad which isn’t easy for a PM.

Which is why I don’t get British party-based tribalism. It really is quite peculiar.

failedengineer

I agree with quite a few of the previous comments: Clapton from ‘God’ to ****; John Major – I’m also usually anti-Tory, but can’t help but like him; Bowie – Wasn’t a ‘real’ fascist. I would add Sean Connery – anti English, pro Scottish independence Spanish resident and Bob Dylan – from (pretend?) left wing protester to reactionary old man and from nice Jewish boy to Christian fanatic. On the other hand I still like Guy Martin…..

pondo

oomidamon – Member 

Murray Walker – the voice of motorsport my a***. A mate of mine was trying to organise a grasstrack race in Hampshire and guess who was the ringleader of the NIMBYs who blocked it?
    D’you know, there were stories back in the day of Matchams getting closed down because of him, but it’s just utterly irreconcilable with what I know about him. I shall file this under “judgement reserved”.

mogrim

Sean Connery – anti English, pro Scottish independence Spanish resident

Thought he lived in the Bahamas somewhere?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Which is why I don’t get British party-based tribalism. It really is quite peculiar.

Like the US, you don’t win a general election in the UK by convincing people to vote for you per-se, you enthuse the people who would have voted for you anyway because of your party to get out and vote and try to spread apathy amongst the other tribe.

I’m a ‘life long Labour voter’ but, I have on occasion been tempted by other party, even the Tories. If Major was standing against Corbyn, I’d vote Tory without a moments pause.

chip
    Free Member

Jonathon Ross, liked him for years from when he did the last resort. Can’t stand him now.

Think it might be because of I associate him with Russel brand.

slowoldman

I have a signed copy of John Major’s autobiography. As someone who’s rabidly anti-tory after reading it I quite liked him.

A much under-rated politician who I admire. I’m not tory either. But that Edwina thing?

chakaping
    Free Member

A late friend of my wife’s, a schizophrenia sufferer, used to hear Murray Walker shouting through the roof of his flat, aggressively berating him for being homosexual.

So clearly the old duffer wasn’t as nice as all that.

bob_summers

Not a fan of reading autobiogs, but John Peel’s left a bit of a sour taste.

Morissey, I hope/suspect is just messing with people because he can, a bit like John Lydon.

nealglover
    Free Member

Take your pick, be a millionaire who gets to do cool stuff or be a truck fitter, you cant have it both ways.

Well… You would think wouldn’t you.

But he’s kind of proved you totally wrong, by doing exactly that.

DezB
    Free Member

*cough* Seasick Steve. As genuine as they come. Straight out the chain gang etc 😆

Merak

Chris Packham

Merak

Seasick Steve. As genuine as they come. Straight out of the transcendental chain gang etc

Ftfy

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, That Dave Attenborough too! Turns out he didn’t stand on a melting ice-flow with a camera strapped to his shoulder, talking in hushed tones so the polar bears couldn’t hear him.. had a whole team of people and and and EDITED footage. Faker!

johndoh
    Free Member

Music grows out of a people’s experience. It may be synthesised with other forms later, or shared by others after it has marinated among the originating people(s), but it has to start somewhere first and emerge later.

Delta Blues reflects Black experience
    Gospel reflects Black experience
    Motown reflects Black experience
    I do not, for a minute, dispute what you are saying regarding the historical beginnings of such music. But what I find very strange in this day is that people still insist on labelling music as such. Why does it matter the colour of the skin of the musicians at the root of any given musical genre? It’s music.

Coyote
    Free Member

Seem to remember Sean Connery being comfortable with a bit of spousal abuse. Liked him up to that point.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

MOBO is relevant because if you look at every generation or style of music you’ll have stuff with a black influence history but there’ll be a white crossover act raking all the beans in.
    While this is probably inevitable the idea of MOBO was to recognise and reward the origonal artist whether its reggae blues soul or the funk that became disco .Otherwise you’re condemned to the beegees or ub40.

DezB
    Free Member

..or Vanilla Ice

nealglover
    Free Member

MOBO is relevant because if you look at every generation or style of music you’ll have stuff with a black influence history but there’ll be a white crossover act raking all the beans in.

Like Sam Smith ?

(Six MOBO awards)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘People you used to like..’ is closed to new replies.