Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • People who own just one mtb… What do you own?
  • Bregante

Just the one mtb here these days (also have a road bike).

To be honest I go through phases of yearning after a hardtail and for the last year or so until recently I also had a rigid singlespeed which I enjoyed but I increasingly found that having two MTB’s created more issues than it solved, namely more maintenance and a constant feeling that I would rather have been on the “other” bike.

This now does everything that I need and more.

BillOddie

I don’t think I have ever had more than 3 MTBs at any one time.

Anyway, my current bike covers pretty much all the sorts of riding I like to do.
    ‘Ard enough for a day at BPW, whilst XC friendly enough for the local singletrack and days out in the Peaks etc.

It’s a keeper!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wjZ4SN]Gate matches bike! @chromagbikes #mtb #chromagbikes[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr

timraven

Always had just one bike. Cotic Rocket, 26″ wheels natch, at the moment. Excellent for anything that I throw at it.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Same as Bregante, went through phases of building up a hardtail aswell as a full suss. Now realise that I need only one bike so sold my hardtail Stanton Sherpa (getting back pain) and now have a Salsa Spearfish 29er.

m360
    Free Member

My only mtb, yeah, it’s slower on some stuff than a full suss, and I ache more after a day on that than I would a bouncer, but I love it. It’s great on sweeping singletrack, and light, lighter than anything I could build or afford to buy now, so I’ll stick with it:

Might put suspension back on the front one day, might not. Might trim that steerer down one day as well, or might not!

chocolateteapot
    Free Member

This is my only bike and has just arrived, gone for the best hardtail I could afford for the type of riding I do, didn’t bother with FS as it’s a bit of a minefield!

TheFopster
    Free Member

For last 4 years have pretty much had one MTB – Lapierre Zesty (26er – niche tastic!). Brief dalliance with a HT 29er means I will replace the French mincecore machine with a more Bratwursty Canyon Spectral 29er. One out, one in is the plan! Wish me luck…

sprocker
    Free Member

Just one for me a Lapierre Zesty 150mm job, had a switchback ti as well which I would have loved to have kept but the need for a new boiler meant it had to go.

Got a road bike and Hybrid for commuting so space is a struggle to with the kids bike and my wife’s 2. The zesty is fine for everything I do and I no longer have to chose which one to take out (that chromag looks nice though)

fettlin

2 out for 1 in by the end of the year. having more than one MTB sound great, but i realy cant be doing with it now, most of the posts above have summed it up:
    twice as much ‘x and y need replacing on bike no1’ etc
    guilt that the ‘other’ bike is sat doing nothing whilst out
    space

so a short travel FS is on the cards, SC 5010cc (hopefully a bargain mk1 when the new model is ‘officially’ announced!).

warpcow
    Free Member

For a couple of years it was just an Evil Sovereign. Then there were a couple of additions in quick succession, but now it’s down to just a Commencal Meta. The Evil frame is slowly collecting parts again though.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i always just had the one bouncer, but when my collection of spare parts was sufficient enough to kit out another frame i got a HT frame too built it up. it hardly gets used really but i like it being there if ever my full suss is out of action for whatever reason. whenever my main bike gets an upgrade, so does my HT, and its handy having interchangeable parts if i ever need an emergency swap out, especially wheels!

andeh

I’ve managed with one bike for pretty much most of my life. I’ve bought bikes for the alps before, but inevitably ended up selling them when I get home.

Current one (4 years old, I think) is the Cotic BFe
    Things I like:
    -It’s fun
    -It’s nimble
    -I can, and will, ride anything on it

Things I don’t like:
    -It’s a bit short for me
    -1 1/8 headtube limits upgrade options
    -Can feel a bit skitty over rough ground

Just refreshed the drivetrain and tyres, so it’s feeling quite nice at the moment.

catvet
    Free Member

Five Mk 2

hmsgeoff
    Free Member

Transition Bandit 26.
    Had a Covert, but this is more versatile, and arguably more fun, for my age and slowness.

rudedog
    Free Member

Just come back in from the garage – I’ve been swapping over all the bits from my Ragley mmmbop to the Transition Bandit 26 frame I bought the other week.

I’ve loved the Ragley – its been a brilliant, versatile bike. I’ve had it for the last 4/5 years and its fulfilled all my needs from biking to work, local loops, trail centers to big days out/bikepacking adventures. My previous frame was a Cove Handjob which I only changed due to lack of dropper post (reverb) options.

Anyway, looking forward to getting out on the Bandit this weekend – It will be my first full suss bike but I’m hoping the geometry/handling/fun factor won’t be too dissimilar to the mmmbop.

cookeaa

My only MTB* is now an ageing 456 with 140mm bombers a dropper, 1×10 drivetrain and 2.3″ tyres, no need to “upgrade” till I properly break it now…

*Caveat I Do also have a new CX bike which is getting used more these days TBH though and does some of the things a second, more XC type MTB would do…

metalheart
    Free Member

Hmm, okay I have two mtbs but as they are a 26″ Soul and a Solaris it’s pretty much doubled up and I could move on the Soul if I could get some reasonable return on it (or rather it’s the bike I’ve had longest, ever, and I’m pretty much attached to it so wouldn’t/couldn’t).

For two years the Soul was sporting 1.95 Larsens, locked out forks and chopped down bars for commuting duties but having recently got a TCX I’ve just put the High Rollers back on (for winter duties). To be honest a spare 29er front wheel (with more mud orientated tyre) and the Solaris would still be more than I actually need…. If I can’t ride it on my HT then I ain’t riding it anyways these days!

whitestone
    Free Member

Looking at this from a slightly different perspective. If your one MTB was lost/stolen would you replace it with the same or current model of what you have or would you look at something different?

Personally I’d have no hesitation in getting another Solaris. As @deviant notes, it’s versatile enough for anything and is more than adequate for 99% (made up figure) of the riding I do.

NormalMan

For me, I’d say another 29er HT for sure.
    I’m on my second one and both have been my go to bike despite overlapping with owning a FS bike (now moved on).

Would I buy the same model? Maybe I’d try a Sherpa or Niner or even a Highball though more than likely another Solaris.

bombjack
    Free Member

I’d have another 29er HT in an instant. Absolutley love my Zaskar 9er so much so I sold my full bounce Intense 5.5 and its now my only MTB. Rapid in XC conditions, more than capable of being thrown down reds at trail centres, light, simple maintenance.
    As above, for 99% of the MTB riding I do I don’t think a different bike would make me faster, or put as big a smile on my face.

chestrockwell

I’d probably replace my 29″ fs for a 650b fs simply so I could justify a 29″ ht.

medoramas
    Free Member

2014 Merdia Big Nine 900. I don’t think getting any other bike would make me any better rider 😆

I love it to bits.

dalhalvaig
    Free Member

Stooge Mk1
    3×10 XT
    XT brakes
    203 front, 180 rear
    Chronicle 29×3 front
    Nobby Nic 29×2.35 rear
    760 flat bars
    Rigid fork

Ridden since 2 July, not looked at my other 3 bikes, other than to dismantle them for sale…

Think this will be my only MTB for a while, have a set of Rebas for it but have a feeling they will just sit on the shelf

chomp
    Free Member

have had my Singular Swift for about 3 years now (prob nearing on 4) and been rigid all the time which has been no issue given the amount (or lack of time I’ve spent with it in the woods).

Now kids are older and getting more adventurous I’m leaning towards getting another full sus as my back can’t really handle anything rocky/rooty for more than 45 mins before it starts to complain.

Will in all liklihood have to sell the Swift to fund it which will be a pain so I may just get a cheap hybrid to take on the towpaths and regular path/park riding with the family duties.

(not sure how the wife will react tho as garage space is a premium, before I try to squeeze another bike in)

Sancho
    Free Member

Transition Scout

eshershore
    Free Member

Just two bikes and no plans for any more

Cannondale Super Six Evo road bike

and for the dirt, Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29’er

ononeorange

I’m not allowed on this thread as I have various bikes but anyway……!

Despite being very confused and thinking I don’t like 29ers, my almost sole ride over the past two years has been my Solaris. More than enough bike for me, I love it. I do tend to ride hard tails exclusively (I have a few). However, just bought a fattie and am in love, although off any bike due to illness for a few months now so have lent it to a pal. Parting is such sweet sorrow……

core

Hmmm, too many bikes here.

Soul 26″ (120mm 3×9)
    Scandal 29″ (100mm 2×10)
    iO 26″ rigid ss
    Retro rigid Marin 26″

The Marin is up for sale, impulse purchase I now realise I’ll never ride and don’t have room for.
    The iO is being repainted and will stay in the shed as it’s a parts bin special, owes me very little and will be good for winter and ripping around the farm etc.

One of the other two ought to go really, I was hankering after a full sus, but knocked that idea on the head. Realistically I should split both and build a nice Solaris up I think, but I love the soul, and it has much better wheels than the Scandal. The scandal has also slightly put me off 29ers for techy stuff. Decisions, decisions……

But I want to end up with 1 main mountain bike for all purposes, the rigid ss hack for leaving outside and abusing, then at some point a cx bike. Leaving me, in my eyes 2.5 bikes, to cover all bases.

Leku
    Free Member

Yeti 5. The perfect trail bike.

[/url]L1010282 by 100%of thetime60%ofthetime, on Flickr[/img]

Ben_H

I just have a Cotic Soul (275). I’ve tried full sus, rigid and different wheel sizes before settling on this as my only MTB.

I also have a Cotic Escapade as my “life bike”: commuting, shopping, touring etc. I really liked the rigid 29er format for winter off-roading, but space in the shed doesn’t allow for a 3rd bike (family of 4)!

chiefgrooveguru

I had a Cotic Soul as my only MTB for a number of years. I only got another bike because I found I wasn’t tough enough to handle consecutive uplift days on rocky trails on a hardtail. If I didn’t still have the Soul I’d be perfectly happy riding my Banshee Spitfire for everything but it’s nice having the hardtail both for variety’s sake and for reducing annoyance with mud and winter-related maintenance on all those pivots.

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘People who own just one mtb… What do you own?’ is closed to new replies.