Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)
  • Pentlands trail repair dates
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed. a tonne goes nowhere and is a good few man hours to shift

druidh
    Free Member

As I’ve previously said, I’d be happy to carry out some ongoing trail maintenance through the week as time permits. Some guidance and an action plan is all I’m after.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We need to speak about it Druidh. mail me will you 🙂

bigjim

Was up last night, the muddy bit at the start that we dug the ditch for is still very muddy with pooling water, I think it is probably either just from rain or it is welling up underneath, I suppose it will take a thorough drying out to start recovering properly. The stonework gully has held up fine and was dry.

Further round a few of the puddles that we dug drains for have filled up again, because of you guessed it, bike tracks banking mud up and blocking the exit gully. I hacked them open with my heel but the next bikes will block them again, they need to be filled in really.

Wounded knee is holding up nicely and rides fine. The last few puddles at the other end have dried out nicely.

Pistachio was pretty boggy too, thankfully a fat bike had cleared a nice wide groove to ride through!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well – the rangers have suggested that we do some work on maidens – harlaw side. Meet harlaw carpark 10.30 on saturday

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve got something on in the afternoon so a 10.30 start isn’t much good for me. I’ll try and make it for a few hours but it ain’t looking good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whatever you can – a hour is a help

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

someone bump this a couple of times tomorrow please?

druidh
    Free Member

Just back from a trip up and over Maidens. Other than the eejits cutting round the side of the water bars, it all looks pretty good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

apparently the drains are blocking or something – needs to be dug out. Its what the rangers have suggested – if we have time we can do more – do some work on the top / glencourse side maybe?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Might try and fit in a pre 10.30 ride, will be easier to justify heading out to the Pentlands for an hour or so of trailbuilding if I can squeeze in a wee ride as well.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

See you there peeps.

Does one bring spade/axe/combo-of-the-two to these things?

Edit: Didn’t say peeps.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the rangers usually provide tools gloves and boots are handy as is some lunch and water

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ll bring me boots & gloves & rice & peas.

13thfloormonk

😳 TJ, once again I’m not going to make this, got overexcited booking cheap train fares a month ago and am now heading off to Knoydart this weekend.

Muchos apologos, I would like to support your efforts more than the one hungover session I have managed! 🙁

debaser

Off to the north-west for a week of riding and walking so I’m not going to make this one.

At least I can give the thread a nudge in case anyone has missed it.

Are there any more sessions in the pipeline? I’m still keen to help out and, like Druidh, would be happy to go out and do some work midweek/evening given some direction.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ll be there!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

saturday? gosh darn it, i’m working 🙁

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Saturday? Bugger, I’d put Sunday in my diary. 😳

I need to pop into work first, but will go early and try and make it for as close to 10.30 as possible. I’ll probably come over from Glencorse side anyway so don’t wait around at the car park for me.

Just looked at the weather forecast! At least the ground will be nice and soft for digging…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bumpity bump – come on you lot 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

241 folk in the Facebook group and we can’t hat into double figures for a trail repair session……..

Kit
    Free Member

Were you at the last one Colin?

druidh
    Free Member

No Kit. It was announced at so little notice that I was unable to attend. The date for this one has, however, been available for several weeks.

bigjim

I have to work the weekend I’m afraid 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

bigjim – got a few folk in the same boat. We are going to try to arrange some midweek stuff, even if it has to be “unsupervised”.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This will be the 4th day we have done. Its been an exercise in building trust and the aim is to develop more autonomy for the group. It has been discussed with rangers various ways to move forward and I am pushing for further progress

It needs the support of the local mountainbikers tho to work

Mind you stwers have done more than other groups I have contacted

Kit
    Free Member

No Kit. It was announced at so little notice that I was unable to attend. The date for this one has, however, been available for several weeks.

Just checking 😉 BTW, think you’ve been nominated to the rangers for something. No doubt you’ll find out tomorrow what you’re being roped into!

druidh
    Free Member

Ha. I can’t believe my name isn’t in their little black book of “Troublesome Miscreants” 😳

Kit
    Free Member

I think they scribbled yours out and wrote in Jeremy’s 😉 (just kidding TJ!)

robgarrioch

Cor, but fate has been / still is conspiring to keep me from this one; provided the SO (or me) aint down with the sickness gleaned from no.1 son, I’m hoping to be along, with waterproofs, flippers + snorkel.

(originally thought it was the 17th too, was it changed…?)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well despite a foul day half a dozen of us made it out and played in the mud in the rain.

Great turnout considering everything, we got a decent bit of work done as well

wet team by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

Ditch digging by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

Supervisers by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

It was great to see the immediate affect of our work. Something that would not have happened if it was dry 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Balerno has flooded. Must be that new river feeding into teh Harlaw Burn

bigjim

well done team, sorry I couldn’t make it. A drowned rat turned with a very muddy bike turned up on the doorstep after lunch, she appears to be in the photos above.

I think I chose the wrong time to sway to this seasonal tyre thing stw has persuaded me to try, and fit a summer tyre last week…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah its your fault its been raining.

robgarrioch

Good practice ahead of the superbikes at Knockhill next weekend 🙂
    Also good to wield a double handed tool in leisure time again, much fun…

Re-acclimatised to the warm & dry watching this for a good portion of the afternoon. Well, between this & the rain hitting the window.

ChrisL

I need a new waterproof jacket for trail work, plus overtrousers! The visibility seemed even poorer to me, as my glasses were so covered in water as to do more harm than good…

There was an amazing amount of water flowing through the drainage channels next to the path, especially after we’d opened them up a bit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – I will be pushing for some more dates to be organised. Sundays better than saturdays? I will try to get some weekday stuff organised as well – or at least get some areas to work on for those free in the weeks.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Maybe have a Saturday and a Sunday session? Either the same weekend or not. Hopefully catch more people who can’t do one day or the other.

ChrisL

Sunday is slightly better for me, I reckon.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands trail repair dates’ is closed to new replies.