Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Pension Planning = Nightmare
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

Got all the figures bar one, how long am I going to live.
    Until that is known the rest is irrelevant what to do ?

FuzzyWuzzy

Join me and the 3.6m others that are relying on a future lottery win to pay for our retirement?

br
    Free Member

Don’t know about you, but I’m planning on living a long time – whether I do or not…, who knows.

Or are you going to plan based upon a short life, and then be miserable and poor for donkeys years?

mrmo
    Free Member

accept the new world order, you won’t be retiring, you’ll either die at your desk, in the work house, or under a bridge.

jekkyl

Current life expectancy for a male in the UK is 78.5. Isn’t it awful that we die, how annoying, I love living.

grum
    Free Member

Join me and the 3.6m others that are relying on a future lottery win to pay for our retirement?

+1

No realistic possibility of me getting a pension either. I’m relying on owning my property by then, carrying on working, and living frugally. Hmmm….

jackthedog
    Free Member

The NHS is being dismantled as we speak. Life expectancy will fall through the floor in coming years. Don‘t worry about it.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Wrong forum, though slightly more interesting than “What tyres for Llandegla”, so I’ll allow it.

unklehomered
    Free Member

A dark and bleak futurey doom for me too at present…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

b r – Member

Don’t know about you, but I’m planning on living a long time – whether I do or not…, who knows.

Or are you going to plan based upon a short life, and then be miserable and poor for donkeys years?

I’ve lived quite a while so far, been poor and rich then poor 🙁

mrmo – Member

accept the new world order, you won’t be retiring, you’ll either die at your desk, in the work house, or under a bridge.

I’m packing in work soon 🙂

jekkyl – Member

Current life expectancy for a male in the UK is 78.5. Isn’t it awful that we die, how annoying, I love living.

Thats a good base to work on so I’ll use 78, let you know how it goes in, oh 20 years time 🙂

irc

But the 78.5 figure is life expectancy at birth. Life expectancy varies with age. For example a 78 year old man on average has several years left not 6 months.

Similarly anyone who has reached middle age has avoided dying young so on average will live beyond 78.5 years.

Then there is the genetic and lifestyle factors. I’m hoping I’m still fit enough to play golf a couple of times a week like my dad at 84.

grum
    Free Member

Similarly anyone who has reached middle age has avoided dying young so on average will live beyond 78.5 years.

Yup they talked about this on More or Less – childbirth is a risky time for everyone, and late teens/early twenties is particularly risky for men. If you make it to 30 I think they estimated your life expectancy was at least 90.

flashes
    Free Member

“What tyres for Llandegla”,

oo tell more…………..

grum
    Free Member

What life expectancy when using Racing Ralphs at Llandegla?

charliemort

snakeskin or normal?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Do you need a mountain bike for Llandegla ? Me I’d consider Michelin pro 4s

z1ppy

jackthedog – Member
    The NHS is being dismantled as we speak. Life expectancy will fall through the floor in coming years. Don‘t worry about it.

this ^ has cheered me right up.

jekkyl

live for the now! my father planned retirement to emigrate to spain with my mum, then died of cancer aged 52. 🙁

bruneep

If I had y tie over again I would not paid anything into my pension. Instead the money I would’ve used on pension I would have bought property with.

Guy at work did this has property worth near £900k and regular monthly income in rent.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well, even though I’ve got a decent company pension I don’t feel any less exposed or perplexed. It seems that every year the company is looking for every opportunity to deteriorate the pension benefits so makes me wonder what it will actually be when I do retire. It’s a real mess.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Long pleasurable retirements funded by generous pensions are a historical anomaly. In years to come historians will look back at pensions as an oddly fortuitous quirk enjoyed by a few lucky people who happened to be born at the right time.

For everyone before that time, and for everyone after, spending up to one third of one’s life unproductive yet affluent is a luxury available only to the super wealthy.

The options available of the majority of us not lucky enough to be in the right groups?

1. Have a family in the hope they’ll care for you, and try not to worry about the future they’re going face once you’re gone.
    2. Live for the moment, enjoy your youth and your health while you’re lucky enough to have it, and plan to die before age becomes a problem.
    3. Earn (or cheat) your way into the super wealthy set for whom such cares don’t exist.

The welfare state is being strategically dismantled as we type. With nothing to prop us up when we start to fall, life expectancy will drop. With no public healthcare provision, the poorer you are the younger you’ll be when you go.

I can see no point saving for retirement. Pensions are a ponzi scheme that is already collapsing, and it’s unlikely to see out an ageing generation hoping to be supported by the current working generation who can’t get jobs, having kids who can’t get an education.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Suppose I best go now then while there’s some money in the pot, spend it all and sit back and get you youngsters to pay your taxes to keep me in luxury 🙂

tomhoward

I pay into a pension fund. Dunno why, genuinely think I’ll have taken leave of the mortal coil by the time I can have it back. Cautious optimism I guess.

davidisaacs
    Free Member

best way to go (I hope to!) is to be shot dead by a jealous lover at the age of 94, here´s hoping!!

jonahtonto
    Free Member

pensions are a pyramid scheme….
    my thoughts are, if your going to play that kind of game do it properly, and get very rich at the expense of others.
    if not sort out another plan….
    population doesn’t expand anymore at the rate needed to allow for old world pensions.
    but then what do i know, im young and haven’t paid into a pension for the reasons above. its always seemed like to much of a risk to me

T1000
    Free Member

Expect to get robbed…. By either your employer, the sales guys and the government …..

Well probably all of those…..

slackalice
    Free Member

The biggest and greatest con of contemporary capitalism. You pay them circa 20% of your earnings the whole of your working life that they then spend on themselves with the caveat that they cannot be held responsible or accountable for the ultimate value of your savings because of external factors.

**** ****, the lot of them.

You are better off buying into precious metals.

sbd16v
    Free Member

new military pension scheme was released today, i was not effected ”too” much due to having done 15 years at the point of change onto the new scheme, so i have a small smile on my face today 🙂

totalshell

having had a few health close calls i consider myself lucky to be here today.

i certainly dont expect to live the lifestyle of my parents ( both late 70’s) nor have the cash or assets they enjoy ( all from savings no pension except from the state)

cant moan though for without the nhs and the skills and committment of a number of its staff i wouldnt be feet up in the sun waiting to go to work.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“You are better off buying into precious metals.”

Do not do this

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’m ****.

earl_brutus
    Free Member

My plan is to have the mortgage paid off at 55 (im37) put 10% of my salary into a standard life pension for the next 25 years and not plan on retiring, i love my profession and will keep on it till i croke but as old age creeps in will cut down to 2or3days a week from age 60 and spend my spare time fishing, shooting and keeping pigs.
    I shall definitely be living for today though, who knows whats round the corner! Dont fancy being the richest corpse in the cemetery

wolfenstein
    Free Member

i hope my life ends by the time i cannot pedal.a bike due to old age. i dont believe in this pension bullsh*t after seeing 2 of superiors andmy mentor collapse and die in my workplace of old age.. the other one 3 days away from his retirement and have booked a grand holiday.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Pension Planning = Nightmare’ is closed to new replies.