Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Pennine Bridleway Double Attempt
  • alanbill99

Hi folks,

Just ‘cos it seems the thing that people do when attempting this sort of thing’, I’m just letting folks know that I’ll give the PBW Double a shot next weekend.

I did 2/3rds of it last year and had plenty left in the legs. I’m 20% stronger this year too.

I’ve been following Rob Lee’s 7DS and it really did inspire me to get out and do something bigger than I would normally do. I live right near the end of it (live in Belper) so it’s real handy.

Not sure of exact timings, but it’ll probably be Thursday evening into Friday evening. I’ve been chatting with Steve Heading for a few months on logistics ‘style’ and water and also let Rob know that he’s got a lot to answer for !

Looking forward to a memorable day in the saddle.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

good luck,i hope the weathers on your side.. 🙂

alanbill99

I think the best I can hope for is a good soaking every now and again!

MrSparkle

Fair play, fella. Good luck!

ton

that is a tough old ride. good luck mate.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Good luck. Guess you’ve already packed the gore-tex, eh. Please let us know how you get on, it would be interesting to read a post ride report.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Pardon my ignorance but what is a PBW double? Is it Middleton Top to Kirkby Stephen and back or up to the Mary Towneley loop, round the loop and back to Middleton. The PBW is complete up to KS as I rode it in May but it adds another 75 miles to the route so a double would be around 300 miles.

twinklydave

I dare you to pull a silly face every time you have to stop at a gate 😉

Have fun!

anjs
    Free Member

oh so it that 400 miles in one go?

elaineanne
    Free Member

the Mary Towneley loop has loads and loads of gates….luckily me n my son went with the Pennine Bridleway Rangers (just very recently) and they kindly opened most of the gates on route …..brill 😉 great day cos it was an organised event…so we didnt get lost which was a bonus for 47 miles of riding… 😉

alanbill99

Call me a lightweight but I’ll wimp out of the 300mile option this time. This attempt is Middleton round the MTL then back to Middleton. 200ish mile. I don’t think anyone has done the new 300mile option (?) but steve heading and rob lee have done the double. not sure if anyone else has?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone has done the new 300mile option (?)

I think something’s brewing as Steve Heading contacted me for the GPX log of the Northern bit a few weeks ago.

alanbill99

Yeah. He mentioned that and sent it on to me. Steve loves his long routes so I’m sure it’s on his list!

ononeorange

Good luck!

LS
    Free Member

Steve loves his long routes

Understatement of the day 😀

alanbill99

I think he’s in training for the Colorado trail race at the mo. Looks awesome.

alanbill99

Successfully completed in bang on 24hours!

The ride is almost unthinkable (Middleton top to Mary towneley, round that and back) but getting in under 24hours was the real challenge. Thanks to steve heading for pulling me through the last few miles to finish on time.

It’s a tremendous achievement for me and being a good long distance fell runner too I fully expect my bob Graham to be easier.

I plan on posting a full report on what was one of the biggest days of my life.

Esme
    Free Member

Wow – I’m awe-struck 😀

(I felt proud of myself for doing just the MTL)

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Chapeau ! Well done fella, that’s one hell of an achievemnt. It would be great to read a report. Obviously after you’ve had a good rest. 😀

mocha
    Free Member

whoop! well done :o)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Pennine Bridleway Double Attempt’ is closed to new replies.