Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • pedals not powering rear wheel properly?????
  • richi
    Free Member

tonight i noticed that occasionally when i pedal it is taking about half a pedal stroke before it engages and turns the rear wheel if that makes sense????

I am assuming its my free-wheel that is on its way out or is there some way to sort the problem?

its a lapierre spicy 316 2010 if that helps link to spec below

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lapierre/spicy-316-2010-mountain-bike-ec020976#features

grtdkad
    Free Member

Pawls. Possibly just need a clean out – last time it happened to me they were full of gunk n stuff. Flush out, relube. Refit.

(Watch out for teenie springs)

toppers3933
    Free Member

freehub body is on the fritz innit. its shimano so easily replaced. part is about 15-20quid plus fitting. will also benefit from new bearings. if its done some miles it may well need new cones too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably best off just buying a whole new rear hub, often cheaper than the aftermarket freehub. Then you can use the new bearings and cones aswell

toppers3933
    Free Member

Good point Mr Taylforth. Just be careful to get exactly the same hub (m525) because the seals are different. Not all deore hubs are made equal.

float
    Free Member

Probably best off just buying a whole new rear hub, often cheaper than the aftermarket freehub. Then you can use the new bearings and cones aswell

yeah but then you might as well spend that money on a new wheel and keep a spare rim.

tbh OP, just buy a new bike and keep your current one for spares.

richi
    Free Member

lol float that escalated quickly lol

well i might aswell give it a quick clean and relube as it seems simple enough, if that doesnt sort it new freehub and will prob redo all the rear cassett front rings and chain whilst im at it ready for summer, was plaing on holding out with all the snow still falling but meh might as well nut up

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If it’s an M525 Deore hub you’re after, beware, the spec appears to have been cheapened. The original M525s had external seals, looks like the current M525s do not have the external rubber seals, and perhaps there are other differences too.

richi
    Free Member

just a quicky am i looking at something like this????

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=78987

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

yeah but then you might as well spend that money on a new wheel and keep a spare rim.

Hmm, I think that would more expensive, smart arse.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘pedals not powering rear wheel properly?????’ is closed to new replies.