Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • pedal advice/opinions
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr M-C posting). As in another thread, I broke my right knee in a stack in Morzine basically as a result of not clipping out (SH-51 single release cleats). This is the second time Ive had a “proper” injury for the same reason, albeit in 15yrs of riding so i have no axe to grind against SPDs.

Looking for peoples opinions and advice on pedals.
    Would the multi release SH56 have prevented my injuries?
    or some other manufacturer of pedal? If so what do people rate?
    How difficult is it to learn to ride flatties after 15yrs of being clipped to my bike? I tried it briefly after the last stack and hated it- do I need to persevere and accept that the first 6 months of my post-recovery riding will be like a novice?

wurzel
    Free Member

i was asking the same thing a while ago as I’m recovering from knee surgery and want something that will release quickly if I come off. The consensus seems to be to go for shimano pedals that can release both ways these are apparently much looser. I’ve got mine wound out really loose and although some times my feet come out of the pedals at least I’m not twisting my knees.

onewheelgood

I’ve been using Crank Brothers for the last 5 years – first Candys now Eggbeaters. They always seem to come off when I stack it, but have had very few, if any, surprise unclipping events otherwise. The tension isn’t adjustable, but they seem to be fine as-is.

foxyrider
    Free Member

my Time Atacs release everytime I fall off that up until recently that was quite frequent 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

NO problems here with unclipping from shimanos. Multirelease cleats tho I think. Back the spring tension off?

coogan
    Free Member

Flats rock.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

got the tension backed off almost to minimum after the last incident, and it was just sods law that in my crash the bike and attached foot rotated in the wrong direction to unclip, and sufficiently to snap the end off my tibia… 😯

Have ordered multi release cleats for me and M-C (which both you an wurzel seem to be recommending), but might have to try out some mates bikes with non shimano just to get a feel for how different pedals work.

tinsy
    Free Member

my knees are fecked, got shimano SPD’s and never had an unclipping problem when I crash, what do you mean multi release?

I got 520’s or xpedo depending on bike.. are they multi release?

Had an athroscopy on Tuesday and expecting to go for a very gentle poodle about on sunday, but will put flats on for that.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

tinsy,

SH51 cleats on shimano only release if you twist your heel outwards.
    SH56 cleats release if you twist your heel outwards, inwards, or rotate/roll your foot in either direction.

Stevie-G
    Free Member

I second coogan flats rule, it’ll just take some getting used to. but way better!!!

crikey
    Free Member

You will mess up a lot more often with multi-release cleats; they basically unclip whenever you try to move your foot in anything other than a downwards direction, so when you pedal hard and do the slightest pull up; ping, you’re out.

I think 2 problems in 15 years is pretty good going really.

Brooker99
    Free Member

I’d definately second the time atacs – have slightly dodgy knees from playing hockey as a kid.
    Had some cheapo shimano copies years ago and they were rubbish – all sorts of knee problems.
    Switched to times and have been great ever since – no issues with unclipping by accident and only time I got a bit stuck was over-cooking a wheelie on the road when I went over the back – trying to show off after riding buddies had been doing pathetic little things…

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Time ATAC’s were my favourites, but since getting my bike that had them on burglarised, its been flats only for me.

coatesy
    Free Member

I’d strongly recommend checking out Speedplay Frogs, no spring tension whatsoever for unclipping, cartridge bearings, greaseports etc., and i’m sure if she talks nicely to Sticky, then mrs m-c may get a discount too.:)

Kramer
    Free Member

Time ATACs just work for me. Nice and robust as well.

wurzel
    Free Member

Yes I mean cleats that release in both directions. Couldn’t reply earlier cos I been out riding 🙂

I haven’t had any problems with them releasing at the top of the pedal stroke but I dont really munge (is that a word??) the pedals but do stand on them going up hill.

I haven’t tried any other pedals though. I’m using the 520 atm and there seems to be quite a bit of ‘float’ when clipped in which I like.

tails
    Free Member

enough said.

grumm
    Free Member

Just persevere with learning to use flats again – I just switched back and I’m loving it now.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

If you’ve had a serious injury as a direct result of being clipped in, then surely it’s a no brainer to ditch the spd’s and to go to flats.
    I’ve got the straitlines, expensive but probably the best about.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I ride Crankbro’s (mallets/candy’s) and not had any issues releasing. I’ve used them for many years, basically since I started mountain biking properly.

Last year I started using flats. I just went for the grippy option and got 5:10’s and Straitlines. I had no issues changing over at all, I could still bunnyhop and my feet didn’t move on rocky/bumpy stuff. Drops and jumps took a bit of faith at first but on my first ride with them I was doing drops (not that I’m a hucker anyway). Straitlines are good IMO but they require a bit of maintenance. You need to grease them regularly, like for me once a week in winter but I’m riding a lot. I didn’t do this and the wee teflon spacer washer wore away which gave a few mm play on the pedals and let water in which meant I needed to grease them even more often! Eventually got a replacement washer sorted out but needed to speak to the main man in Canada, long story.

You’re going to flats to avoid injury though? Be aware that you will be cutting your shins / calves at first. I still do although it tends to be when I’m carrying the bike or moving it in the garage now.

I think that if you persevere with flats you will very quickly learn the technique. There are people on here that would be able to help you with some advice if you decide to go that way, it’s not rocket science though!

juan
    Free Member

If you’ve had a serious injury as a direct result of being clipped in, then surely it’s a no brainer to ditch the spd’s and to go to flats.

So does the same rule applies fro biking?
    If you have a serious injury as a direct result of riding, then it’s a no brainer stop cycling?

As for the OP time pedal are highly regarded when it comes to knee injuries/clipping unclipping.

pinches
    Free Member

i run my M520s on SH51s and have never got stuck in the bindings :S

if you want to try flats, like people have said you’ll have to go for some proper pedals, never had straightlines but i have a pair of

alot burlier than the straitlines but also more expensive

grumm
    Free Member

I am very happy with my Superstar Nano Tech flats – they look identical to these £70 Deity pedals – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=35916

thepurist

I used the multi-release SPDs for a while & had no problem with pulling up or unexpected release – I could practice one footed pedalling with them no bother and my pedal stroke aint the smoothest out there. Times felt better than the SPDs though, but then I decided to try to get some proper skillz (still trying) and went back to flats & am loving it.

ononeorange

I’ve always run multi-release cleats on Shimanos with the tension wound right down (just out of habit, really) and very rarely have problems with unexpected releases. That includes on the s/s where I really do need to pull up as well. They do start to release a bit easily when they get worn, but I just replace them then and they grip fine again.

Ping out fine in a stack too.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

[If you’ve had a serious injury as a direct result of being clipped in, then surely it’s a no brainer to ditch the spd’s and to go to flats.

So does the same rule applies fro biking?
    If you have a serious injury as a direct result of riding, then it’s a no brainer stop cycling?]

Juan, I was just referring to pedals, where they’re are options between flats and spd’s. Clearly I wasn’t referring to biking in general.

thomthumb
    Free Member

12 months ago i tried flats at afan (never ridden there before) not a good place to learn – hated them – moaned all day. for someone whos bike background is trials and flat pedals i was rubbish.

6 months ago decided i would persevere took them out on a local loop. didn’t hate them but struggled to ride them well – i have now got spds on my xc bike and flats on my 5inch full sus bike. and my riding/ confidence has improved hugely.

for me i only ride spds if efficiency is paramount. if your out having fun flats are the way forward.

I run welgo mg1s (lighter than shimano m520s) plenty strong enough for most riding and grippy to boot.

jimster
    Free Member

Another vote for Time ATAC’s here, been using them for 15 years or so and never had a problem.

Having said that, will probably stack big style tonight and swear never to use them again.

MrOvershoot

Munqe-chick – Member
    tinsy,

SH51 cleats on shimano only release if you twist your heel outwards.
    SH56 cleats release if you twist your heel outwards, inwards, or rotate/roll your foot in either direction.

You sure? I cant stand the multi release cleats as I guess I must haul the bike around with my feet more than some.
    But all my SH51 cleats will release if I twist my foot outward or inward, and I have the tension set to about 2/3 full on!

njee20
    Free Member

SH51 cleats are totally symmetrical, they will release if you twist inwards too, but the crank often gets in the way.

Multi release are good if you’re learning, but as suggested, pulling your foot in any direction will lead to your foot coming off the pedal. I tried some once and ended up smashing my knees on the handlebars when my feet flew off the pedals.

I’m using Eggbeaters at the moment, but don’t find them as easy to get in/out as Shimano (close, but not quite). For £10 why not try some Multi Release cleats, although you may find swapping pedal systems better mentally, more of a new start.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

all respondents, thanks for the replies, plenty of good points to consider and your experiences are appreciated.

Mr overshoot, just going by their respective descriptions on CRC.

doug_basque, I have pads and would wear them if running flatties.

2 accidents in 15 years is ok, but a broken tibia with all the stress and worry MC had to endure looking after me and getting me home from the alps, 2 months off work (luckily in a secure job with sick pay, dunno how someone self employed would cope) followed by physio is pretty substantial, and I could do without a repeat!

I like to ride drops and gaps (not that I’m some demon bike meister), woodwork etc as well as all round trails, so I’ve got used to commitment in spds and when I rode the (smaller) ladder drop at chicksands on my one time on flats my feet come off the pedals and I said “f–k this!”.

Might try learning flatties as part of the challenge of getting back into riding and try out multi release cleats on spds along with a few other pedals.

richc
    Free Member

burgtec’s alot burlier than straitlines? jesus just how burly do you want?

http://straitline.blogspot.com/2009/01/wnt-to-see-pedal-get-smashed.html

SSBonty
    Free Member

I agree with MrO and njee – SH51 should let you release by twisting in either direction, whereas the other one lets you roll your foot out and some other stuff and basically makes it difficult to stay in if you mash the pedals. It might feel like it is much harder/impossible to clip out in one direction – I reckon this is because you normally unclip in the same direction, the cleat wears until it becomes easy, but the other side stays like new and feels like you can’t unclip. I unclip inwards on my right foot on 520 and the plastic guard 520 pedals and its really hard (but not impossible) to unclip outwards. It may be that the crank was in the way when you crashed. Eggbeaters seem easier to clip out of, though partly as the cleats and pedals wear faster…

Plus – ouch! snapping your leg from not unclipping, shudder!

(ps if you are Dave and Mrs MC is Fran – hi, its Ian C from Oxford! Living in Helsinki now, Tymmo is coming over at the end of the month for a ride round the Baltics…)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘pedal advice/opinions’ is closed to new replies.