Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 350 total)
  • PEAKS POOTLE: June 12th, Cakes, Tandems and a bit of a chat
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

Todays ride will mostly be fueld by bacon and egg butties and cappuccino 🙂
    Car packed. Double checked the cakes are on there. And a towel. And a change of clothes!
    See you shortly, folks!

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers all, fantastic ride despite the adverse weather. That last descent was superb, i’m converted Jules.

Jamie
    Free Member

How was the weather?

BadlyWiredDog

Yes, that was really nice. I apologise for my bike’s behaviour – occasionally it just can’t help itself… Big thumbs up for Mars Bar cakes which fuelled my ride home back over the hill, for some great company, old faces and new, sorry I can’t remember anyone’s names, ever, to Jules for route planning, Pook for organising and my parents.

Once I’ve shampooed the bike and patched the grazes, I’ll see if any my blurry snaps came out… I think that might be the biggest group I’ve ever ridden with, a bit like being in the Lord Mayor’s procession, but slightly more random.

BadlyWiredDog

The weather was okay. It was dry when it started and got steadily wetter and a bit windy, but the trails are basically dehydrated, so everything was riding really well.

sambob
    Free Member

Weather = freezing cold and chucked it down for most of the ride, but it was fantastic none the less.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

what route did you guys do in the end? i was gonna chance it and join you starting from edale at the meet time ….

but the weather was glorious at 8.30 when i got there and i decided to do a monster ride down the beast, up hagg farm, down the reservoir, up WLT and a monster climb over to cavedal(limestone edge)…

i managed to get WLT and most of the extreme good stuff in the sun and bone dry! then the heavens opened and it was miserable for the reaming hour and half….

so what route did you do in the end?

BadlyWiredDog

We did a monster climb up 20 Trees, nnnnnnnineteen of them, then down Middle Moor then a monster, monster climb up towards Lantern Pike and a monster descent through Rowarth before another monster climb, then we dropped up onto Lantern Pike itself, dropped into Hayfield again, non-monster descent, then a monster, monster, monster climb up behind the quarry and onto New Allotments, monster windy, then alon the top of Chinley Churn and a monster slippy descent to Far Phoside. Then we were going to do the field of doom followed by the roots of doom and the campsite descent, but to be honest, the sheer monsterness of the route and the weather had us beat so we went to the pub instead. Well, apart from me, I did a bonus monster climb over Lantern Pike again and home. I’ve used ‘monster’ more than you, so our route wins 😉

BadlyWiredDog

Joking aside, I can’t believe you did that route as a day ride, though I guess you did get an early start.

Jamie
    Free Member

Consider yourself monstered, OW.

MartynS

route..

Sett Valley carpark, up twenty trees to shooting cabin. Down middlemoor to road. Left down road to right turn to go up to the PBW and Lantern pike. Round Pike to last drop to Rowarth, back up to PBW back round pike to Thornsett. up past quarry, up new allotments down far phoside, back to carpark with a mild dose of trench foot..

It was brilliant to see so many out. Hope everyone enjoyed it. The weather was a touch on the rubbish side but what the hell…!!

Next time we’ll book the weather as well!

MartynS

ahhh BWD sums it up much better than I did….

monster description BWD.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

BWD – hahah! MONSTERRRRR GRRRR!

sounds like a good ride you guys did…

yeah i got there at half 8 and back to the car about 5hours later…

it was pretty nasty once the rain started the wind kicked in and the rain made it cold, really cold….

i was lucky to get the 2hours plus of summer first thing 😆

still glad you guys had a good un, shame about the weather really, but fun to be had regardless of weather 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Monster 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

What was impressive was the sheer size of the group, just properly colossal.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

it would have looked pretty impressive/scary if you were riding towards the group from a distance – id have shat myself as my eye sight isnt the greatest thinking what the hells this heard coming towards me…

Jamie
    Free Member

….thinking what the hells this heard coming towards me…

Relevant….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9iJNp3wZcI[/video]

nbt

Pics such as they are now online

Hayfield Pootle ii Pics by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Camera didn’t come out after middle moor, too wet. Sheldon’s did, but he won’t be home for a few hours yet 🙂

Bit pissed now, two pints and a chip butty in the royal. Was properly cold by the time we got to the top of New Allotments, I was shaking and to stop that was tensing muscles which meant I rode down Far Phoside like a bit of a spanner, no change there then

We should do that ride again in summer, it’d be ACE!

Ah yes, numbers – set out with 35. Lost two (skipping cassette) first time round Lantern Pike, then another (no waterproofs, closest point to home) in Rowarth. 5 more at the bottom of Lantern Pike second time round, then finally we lost contact with 4 at the top of Chinley Churn, they made their own way down via Peep o’ Day. Not a bad result

Pook

In, cup of tea, scotch egg, f1 on telly.

But…… cracking ride. While the route was brilliant (bravo jules), today’s ride was made complete by the people. It was an absolute pleasure to take you all out, and I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

Next time… probably hope valley side. Give me a few weeks to dry out first though ;o)

spacehopper

great ride..! that last descent was awesome.. despite my grips nearly coming off..!!

Next time book some better weather… sideways rain and wind… Grim! 😉

My legs have officialy stopped working now..

BadlyWiredDog

Was properly cold by the time we got to the top of New Allotments, I was shaking and to stop that was tensing muscles

This was at the bottom, you didn’t look that cheery then 😉 I’ll go through the rest of the pics later when I’ve finished eating sausage sarnies and the last of the brownies…

Bunnyhop

Mild hhyypperrthhermmia here.

Still lashing down outside and the local brassband can be heard in the distance, performing their summer series of concerts at the local pub.

Great ride everyone.

Pook – what about Macclesfield forest next time?

BadlyWiredDog

Your burd looks happier mind. That’s wimmin for yer, tough as a tough thing 🙂

Pook

Macc Forest? You know me – I’m easy ;o)

midlifecrashes

Now back in the warm. Nice to meet you all. Thanks to Pook and nbt, and for those who waited for me as I struggled on the uphills. I was the slowcoach with the troubled gears, turns out my gear hanger is cracked. Anyway, this is the endomondo file for the route, but we last few came down Peep O’Day so won’t exactly match all of yours.

Endomondo

amodicumofgnar

Macc Forest would be good, depending on when it is I can sort a route out.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Home – check
    Warmed up – check
    Bacon butty (yep, another, could not be bothered to think of anything else!) – check
    GP on – check
    Fire to light – check
    Shower to have – check
    Lots of kit to clean – check!
    Beer in fridge – check
    Asleep on sofa before I get to open a beer – don’t bet against it!

Thanks all for a top, top day out, great to see so many of folk out!
    Thoroughly enjoyed me little self – who cares about the weather, as long as we’re together 😉

Right – off to run the reservoir steps before I shower – NOT 😉
    Chris

nbt

oooh, lighting the fire. Mmm, as we’re not off to the pub with the souters (need food *NOW*) I might have a go at that myself…

GRAEMEJONES

Brilliant day out, never mind what the weather threw at us!Many thanks to Chris and Jules for sorting today out, and to all the Gate openers/photographers for making the day easier for us all. 🙂
    I only managed one photo before the persisting rain started. 😳

tollah
    Free Member

Just got home at 19:00 due to most of the country mincing its way down the M6 at 20mph ;-( I’ll get to work on the shots asap, should be up later and maybe some footage too 😉

Good to meet everyone new and old friends, although anyone who does know me will know I’m pathetic with names.

mintimperial

Smashing ride, even in those conditions. I think I got the feeling back in my feet about halfway through the journey home. Big thanks to organising/guiding team Pook/nbt, looking forward to the next one…

thepodge
    Free Member

big thanks for putting up with us two at the back.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Great day was had, will be seeing you on the next one for sure. Thanks to the chris and jules for putting it together and big shout to David for giving me alift to the pass. Decided to climb upto top of Mam Tor and do the decents back to edale very wet and in the cold cloud so glad i didnt have to ride back over Jacobs!!

MartynS

well graeme, at least your only photo was of a decent rider……;-)

GRAEMEJONES

Ha! you’re more than welcome 🙂 Have a look at Tollahs thread, there are some most impressive ones on there.A good job well done Sheldon.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i can’t feel my legs

or arms

or face

and my brain is mush

top day 🙂

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

yeah thanks for that guys , we had a great time .nice social event + very friendly / everyone in a good mood despite the biblical weather , nice one

mart

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sounds like a good – if wet – day out. Shame I missed another pootle, but I do seem to skip the ‘orrible weather ones.

On the plus side – and *shhh* don’t tell everyone – I was very impressed by Take That. Love ’em or hate ’em, they know how to put on a show (and was the reason I wasn’t with you all).

gordy2
    Free Member

Hi Pook. Thanks once again for the ride.Really enjoyed it and hope my slowness wasn’t a cause of the hypothermia.
    Macc forest will be good for the next one hopefully with better weather.
    Cheers G

nbt

Plenty of options for the next ride – options mooted so far include Macc Forest, Hollingworth Lake and Marsden, and a possible away day in the Long Mynd area…

Remember though, the choice of the next ride location will be settled using a “one man one vote” system.

That man is Pook and he has that vote

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 350 total)

The topic ‘PEAKS POOTLE: June 12th, Cakes, Tandems and a bit of a chat’ is closed to new replies.