Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Peaks – hope valley
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m heading to the Peak District in a couple of weeks for a weeks holiday with the family. I’m hoping to get a morning or two off to do some riding and wondered if any locals might be about who could show me the hidden single track gems for a morning.

I’ve been once before and done a lady bower loop and also a route taking in Jacobs ladder but I’m sure I missed out the good stuff!

Staying in Thornhill area.

Cheers

James

Pook
    muddyjames
    Free Member

Thanks – I was hoping someone might be riding who I could tag a long with.

i find having to stop constantly to read a book or map is fine when walking but much less so when riding (I’m pretty rubbish at it anyway!)

jekkyl

Get a garmin!

There isn’t many ‘hidden’ tracks around that area of the peak afaik, not one’s that you want to ride this time of year anyway.
    Try this: https://www.justgoride.co.uk/routes/24879
    Also, you’ll probably want more than a ‘morning’ unles you’re getting up at 6. 🙂

muddyjames
    Free Member

Thanks jekkyl – I’ll take a look at the link.

I do have a Garmin (well Satmap) and that’s the approach I took last time.

By ‘morning’ I mean starting promptly at 8-9 and then finishing early afternoon rather than an all day affair. Equally if someone was riding afternoon / evenings that would work too.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Call into 18 bikes in hope for some advice. Just round the corner from thornhill.

It’s been very wet and the ground is still gloopy. I’d recommend the vertebrate graphics all weather route. Which is a good loop in any weather, just happens to be on more solid trails.

https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/blog/v-publishing-blog/2017-01-24—peak-district-mtb-all-weather-route-download.html#document

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Depending on work I might be able to get out for a ride one morning, what dates are you up here?

sprocker
    Free Member

I maybe able to get out on a Tuesday morning, what dates are you about.

boxelder

I’m sure I missed out the good stuff!

Do be so sure

benjamins11
    Free Member

Its the Peak not Peaks. That is all.

ahwiles
    Free Member

using the same logic, we should say ‘The Lake’ when talking about The Lake District…

(if anything, ‘The Lake’ is even more robust; there is only one lake in The Lake District, but i can show you lots of Peaks in The Peak district…)

mildbore

I may be up for this if it dries out a bit, currently giving the soggy Peak a rest from my clumsy tyres. What date(s) are we talking?

muddyjames
    Free Member

Thanks for the bike shop tip.

@gorrilla, @ sprocker @mildbore thanks for your offers.

I can ride (subject to management approval) a few part days on or in between sat 18th and thu 23rd march so Tuesday 21st would be good and if gorilla/mildbore you’re able to do a different one that would be great.

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

The morning of Thursday 23rd would be good for me. Might even be drying out nicely by then. Then again it could be snowing!

ianfitz
    Free Member

Sheffield adventure film festival is on over that weekend. There may be some stuff of interest. There’s some screening aimed at families too.

A bad weather option at least

benjamins11
    Free Member

using the same logic, we should say ‘The Lake’ when talking about The Lake District…

(if anything, ‘The Lake’ is even more robust; there is only one lake in The Lake District, but i can show you lots of Peaks in The Peak district…)

This is irrelvant, I’m not saying it doesn’t makes sense to call it the Peaks, the fact is that its called the Peak.

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

This dual slalom race looks like it might be fun to watch on the Sat:

http://www.theoutdoorcity.co.uk/howard-street-dual/

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above go into 18 buy something and get some advice

sprocker
    Free Member

I can do the tuesday 21st from 10 till 2 or the Sunday from early to anytime, drop me an email to addy in profile if either suits.

Robin

mildbore

It’s too far ahead for me to make any definite commitment now but feel free to email me (address in profile) the week before to see if we can sort something

ads678

Dark Peak – singular.
    White Peak – singular.
    Whole area = The Peaks surely?

I don’t really care but just thought I’d play devil advocate!!

Brown
    Free Member

I think the name derives from either the Celtic name for the area or the Celtic name for the people who lived in the area. Or something.

Linguistically, it’s probably got to the point where ‘Peaks’ is fine and only a certain type of person is going to tell you you’re wrong.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m assuming it’s not the Lakes either then, the Lake instead? 😆

ahwiles
    Free Member

my dad told me years ago that ‘Peak’ comes from ‘Peac’ – rounded hill (Saxon).

muddyjames
    Free Member

Thanks all – I’ve PM’d / emailed @gorilla, @milbore and @sprocker-hopefully the weather gods will be smiling and we can work something out!

Thanks for the other tips too.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Anybody riding tomorrow (Thursday 23rd) who wouldn’t mind showing me a good a route? Weather forecast looks ok at the moment…

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

I’m still available for a ride. What time are you thinking? I need to be done by around 2pm

whitestone
    Free Member

Alt-truthers say Peaks in the hope that if they say it enough it will become truth 😉

martinhutch

Head over to UKC for the ultimate Peak/Peaks showdown. It used to be their equivalent of the helmet thread. Apparently the name comes from the name of the tribe who used to run the place – Pic – rather than from the hills themselves. Or something. 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

It was always guaranteed to get Al Evans foaming at the mouth! 😀

muddyjames
    Free Member

Gorillainthepeak, morning is good-I’ve sent you a PM

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

Your Dad was correct ahwiles, nothing whatsoever to do with plurals or owt else 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Peaks – hope valley’ is closed to new replies.