Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Peak district plane wrecks
  • el_bandido
    Free Member

While enjoying a brew at the Fairholmes visitor centre a couple of days ago I noticed a poster for a guided walk called something like ‘plane wrecks in the fairholmes area’.

Does anyone know where any of these are? I presume that some of them must be close enough to bridleways to make a plane wrecks mtb ride a possibility. That sounds like an interesting prospect to me, obviously I’m sort of sicko 🙂

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

theres one or two on top of kinder scount – you can buy books on the air wrecks in some tourist info centres – or the walking shop at bamford garden centre

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

theres a few books. not a lot left of most of them. pretty sure none of them are near bridleways. i’ve only seen a couple, one of which we came across by mistake. there’s also spots where ‘dummy cities’ were made to divert german bombers during blackouts

Stu

Loads of books on them. Know where a couple near Glossop are, not sure about Fairholmes.

Or have a look here: planewreckhunters

cuckoo
    Free Member

Think there is one up on Bleaklow i seem to remember.

hora
    Free Member

Theres the Superfortress Bomber which Ive been meaning to visit- its a designated War grave with wreckage spread allover

simon1975

Yes there’s a few up on Bleaklow. I did the guided walk with the peak rangers last year (hares and plane wrecks) and had a good day. The wrecks are off the beaten track, so you’ll need GPS or a guide. And nothing rideable near them – far too boggy.

snowslave

Hora where’s that then?

hora
    Free Member

I dont think you can cycle to it- you have to walk. If someone knows the GPS co-ordinates of this I’d muchly appreciate.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it’s somewhere near Hern Stones iirc

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

SK091953

hora
    Free Member

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=409150&y=395350&z=0&sv=SK091953&st=5&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

Its just off the Pennine way so cyclable- although you’d have to walk/carry the bike for the last bit?

nickc

Going out of your way to find the wreckage of crashed planes…Does any one else find that just a little on the morbid side?

hora
    Free Member

See what your saying, in a small way yes. Its too visit something in your spare time that you would never see in your normal everyday life.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it would be a 3km push from doctors gate

the Penine way is a footpath (all be it a surface motorway type one)

Richie_B

The Super Fortress isn’t far from where the Pennine Way crosses Snake Pass on Bleaklow The most recognisable bit is the engine block and landing gear assembly. The rest is mainly random bits of aluminium (looking a bit like someones been fly tipping washing machines) scattered around.

el_bandido
    Free Member

I must admit I was initially a bit embarrassed to start this thread, but I don’t think it’s that unusual really. After all thousands of tourists visit Pearl Harbour everyday to see the wreckage of a ship that a load of people died on.

It is fairly interesting to me that these wrecks remain in place for years when in reality they are quite close to major towns and cities. I certainly hadn’t realised how many there are.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I think it’s fascinating.

will
    Free Member

Think these are seriously interesting, but have yet to go and see them…

snowslave

Yeah, for sure sometimes I think it’s good to have a purpose to exploration? I like checking out old stones from the modern Antiquarian website sometimes for same reason. Also a great location for sacrificing goats and lighting candles.

Only found out recently that North America farm near Cut Gate is in small bits due to it being used for WW2 tank practice.

epicyclo

If you go looking, spare a thought for the guys who were flying them, and why they were flying them. Remembrance is good.

snowslave

For sure

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Its not to far from A57 park on side of road.Its on Bleaklow for years it was never marked on maps as there was no access but are mates the ramblers been visiting it for years.Now its on access land.Some idiots have tryed to take wreckage away found it to heavy so its spread about abit plus lots of little crosses.Its a very strange feeling up there sort of very very sad and interesting at the same time.Their is some other wreckage further on but not so much.Not rideable to peaty.

wreckhunter
    Free Member

Hi,

Sean here from Peak Wreck Hunters. There are GPS coordinates for all sites in the Peak (and to some extent elsewhere) on our site. Ta for the Link.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Peak district plane wrecks’ is closed to new replies.