• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ton.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Pannier Rack for a 29er
  • willsimmons
    Free Member

After some advice please. Does anyone know of a pannier rack that will fit a 29er with MTB tyres, disc brakes and without rack mounts? I'm aware of the Old Man Mountain Sherpa but that is on the high side of what I'd be willing to pay at ~ £100. For that kind of money I think I'd opt for an Extrawheel trailer as by the time I've bought some waterproof bags I'd be approaching similar money.

13thfloormonk

Check out Axiom, i forget their product range but they were relatively cheap and seemed to do a rack for all purposes.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

http://www.rockandrescue.co.uk/outdoor-c2/cycling-c59#c147:c148

These are great prices for Tubus. I got a Logo and Tara from them. You can get a mounting kit that fits on the skewer.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Just to clarify mcmoonter have you fitted the logo to a 29er?

willsimmons
    Free Member

I suppose this would fit if I mounted it high enough on the stays and bought one of those seat clamps with rack eyelets on:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I fitted the Logo to a 700c touring bike with mudguards. I believe there are two sizes. 26 ich & 700c (29er)

singlespeedstu

Trouble is there's quite a difference in size between a 29er wheel with a 2.1 tyre on and a road wheel and tyre.

I have a rack that fits my Blacksheep 29er but i can't remember who it's made by. 😕
    Looks like this.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The top of the Tubus Logo sits a good way above the mudguard. The panniers mount semi low rider stylee.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

This just fits my On-one 29er. Or so the guy in the shop reckoned when we tried it

but there is very little clearance with a big tyre. Might need a bit of bodging

Northwind

The seatpost-mounted ones would work presumably? I mount my Tescos one (nothing but the best!) above my mudguard which makes it at least 3 or 4 inches clear of the wheel. That's a 26er but I'm sure it'd apply the same.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Yeah a seatpost one would but I'm thinking of a 5 – 6 day solo tour with camping so don't think I'd be able to carry what I needed too easily.

Might just get a trailer but a pannier would be much more useful for stuff like commuting that a trailer would be overkill for – it's bad enough riding in heavy traffic on the bike alone, can't imagine the hassle with a trailer as well!

NZCol

I've been using a Freeload on my Tallboy and it works perfectly, you can attach pannier bags to it etc. Brilliant bit of kit http://www.freeload.co.nz

willsimmons
    Free Member

That freeload looks brilliant. Might have to have a look at that. Don't think I could stick it on my Tallboy though, wouldn't seem right so will probably keep it to the hardtail for now.

They're not cheap though! $180 NZD ish = £85 ish. There was me thinking of one for the front and back!

NZCol

Yeah they are really excellent, i've used it to carry quite a lot of weight and it was rock solid. Its only on my Tallboy as I'm doing an expedition race in a couple of weeks and will offload some gear onto it for the bike legs. As the rack is so light it makes it almost irrelevant.

You get 2 racks for $320 of our NZ sheckels so whats that – 150 quid ? Its not the cheapest solution I grant you that but it works. I've got a photo of it on the TB somewhere…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There is a fair bit of clearance above the tyre and 'guard for a 29er tyre.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Thanks, that is useful. Think I'd be able to fit a 29er tyre under that! Problem is not sure how well it would marry up with my Singular Swift frame. Not keen on bodging anything, or a QR mounted rack as it looks like a lot faff and not as sturdy as frame mounting. So I might just need a slot dropouted frame which would make it all a hell of a lot easier.

trail_rat
    Free Member

maddison do a stainless steel tubus copy that fits a 29er ..

my blackburn mtn1 fits on my gary fisher rig also

as does my tortec ultralite ….

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

SingleSpeedDan

Where can I get one as I need to get out with the little one on the back and dont have any mounts on my frame.

Aidan
    Free Member

The Topeak Super Tourist DX Disc is quite heavy but has all the clearance you need. Even on a Pugsley (which has about the same outer diameter as a 29er with normal knobblies on). And they're cheap.

But, if I were you, I'd consider going without panniers. You can save weight by having a frame bag, drybag under the bars, big saddle bag. Some combination of those should see you right for UK conditions.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Trip is likely to be 5 – 6 days across Norway later in the summer so I'd want to be taking a bit more than the combo you suggested would probably allow. No idea what getting hold of food is like in the mountains so would rather take more than I need than not enough.

Burls72
    Free Member

Can't help with attaching without mounts but my tubus logo wouldn't fit on my 29er without an extension kit. It's a custom frame and the mounts are fitted on the dropout rather than on the seatstay as in the above picture.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

its a blackburn EX1 from madison. Sorry meant to mention that in the original post. The clearance was pretty tight and to use it woth a dry bag lashed on top i think will take some diy plastic insert on the shelf part. with panniers shoulf be fine.

ton

tubus fly rack fits on my 29rs

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Pannier Rack for a 29er’ is closed to new replies.