Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Paid for acommodation twice . What to do next ?
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I went to Torridon in May of this year . It’s a long ferry and car journey from the Isle of Man so I had a night in a B&B near Aviemore . I booked it with a debit card and was asked to pay when I checked out of the establishment . I foolishly assumed the initial card details had been taken purely to secure the room so wasn’t surprised to be asked for payment on departure . Anyway I checked the bank statement last week and discovered that the money had gone out of my account twice . E-mailed 3 days ago and have had no reply and tonight I phoned the B&B in question and had the phone hung up on me . What should my next move be ? I am doing LEJOG in August with 7 other men and 3 women so owning them with Bombers or weeing in their shoes is a possibility albeit not until August 10th when we will be in the vicinity .

richmars

Credit card provider or bank.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Chargeback then a very shitty review on TripAdvisor.

Or if chargeback fails, small claims court then a very shitty review on TripAdvisor.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Thanks , I will give that a try .

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Oops double post .

scotroutes

Oh teh ironing…

julesf7
    Free Member

Hmm, as someone running a B&B this is exactly what I live in fear of. So much so that I have now brought in an automated system to avoid any process weakness, but before then it was something I double and triple checked if I had any doubt. With three different check points I could be fairly sure that if they all tallied then I had failed to take the deposit. The doubt was there once… not nice (although it proved that the checks worked).

So, I would suggest that it can happen all too easily in the trade, but that is probably unintentional and the proprietor will be horrified once they realise. If I had received an email of this type I would react immediately and follow up with a phone call to apologise…profusely. If you use a chargeback request, whilst justified, it will affect their merchant services charges and the punishment may exceed the crime. That said, if you don’t get a reply by tomorrow evening (since weekends can be horrendously busy if they are, for instance, short-staffed due to illness) then I would wholly support the use of that route.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

If you use a chargeback request, whilst justified, it will affect their merchant services charges and the punishment may exceed the crime.

You’re kidding, right?

They ignored his emails then put the phone down on him 🙂

julesf7
    Free Member

Ah, I am caught out not reading the post fully, I apologise. I was scanning quickly whilst having a busy evening in the hostelry. If they hung up on the OP knowing why they’re ringing… to say fair play would be an understatement. Sorry, at least my system for checking deposits is more robust that my reading skills on STW. Mea culpa

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Paid for acommodation twice . What to do next ?’ is closed to new replies.