Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Paging PC gamers – what shooting, fighting, killing fest?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

I havent played computer games in years
    Doom2, HL2 and MOHAA were about the last 3 I played – all of them bl00dy fantastic

I now have a bit of time on my hands and want to get back into it
    But its been ages since I even looked at a mag or gaming website so Id appreciate some help

Black Ops has caught my eye as did the recent MOH
    These 2 are new so must be good – yes??
    If so whats to split them for those of you lucky to have played both?

We have a 1y old PC
    Specs are 2.66 QC processor, 4GB RAM and a Radeon 4850 512MB graphics card

I always used to prefer single player as there were just too many bots and cheats online in MOHAA – has this changed?

Any more advice gladly received

Cheers

Shorty121
    Free Member

You can always look at Battle field bad company 2 its a really fun game

jools182
    Free Member

cod4 and cod2 is pretty good as well

Creg

Take a look at Half Life 2. The Orange Box is a very good deal indeed as you get also get Portal included, plus Portal 2 will be out next year.

The s.t.a.l.k.e.r games are well worth a look too. A bit dated by modern standards but some good gameplay and very atmospheric (voted most atmospheric games ever made I think)

yesiamtom
    Free Member

If you like gamers along the lines of HL2 and doom then avoid the new medal of honours and call of duty’s like the plague. They are shite…and yes im very bitter about wasting my money on MOH.

Get a good game like battlefield bad company 2 or something.

randombod
    Free Member

I was a big PC gamer, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal Tournament. I used to hate consoles, but when Xbox became cheaper than an average graphics card, I decided to take a punt.

Best thing ever did, xbox’s are now cheap as chips. Get yourself one of those and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, get a good supply of un-healthy snacks and say good-by to going out! 😀

nickname
    Free Member

I’ve got BattleField 2 on the PC – awesome!

I did a similar thing to randombod though and got an xbox. I’ve got Bad Company 2 and MW2 on that, both are pretty good but I prefer Bad Company by far. Black Op’s isn’t catching my eye though, it looks just like MW2 to me, though I’ve not played it…

I don’t how your PC specs will hold up on the latest games – that’s always a concern…

randombod
    Free Member

I don’t how your PC specs will hold up on the latest games – that’s always a concern…

Another reason for me going xbox route, contant upgrades of RAM, graphics cards and spending ages fiddling with settings to get it right was becoming a pain.

Xbox it just works!

BlingBling
    Free Member

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the best online MP FPS since Battlefield 2.

The new MoH is terrible. Maps are tiny and just choke point after choke point. If you like to camp maybe it’s for you?

Black Ops isn’t even as good as MW2 so save the £££.
    In fact all CoD games are a bit kiddy for my liking anyway.

waiting for BF3 now….

You will be able to play on a HD4850 as I used to myself 🙂

lowey

TF2

redthunder
    Free Member

Play Doom and Quake 2 again.

http://www.gameswin.info/gameen.php?id=305

Modern Warfare 2 looks good.

nicko74

Crysis for traditional FPS
    Halo is available on the PC, as is Gears of War
    Fallout 3 for FPS in a really immersive open world
    BFBC 2 very good.

But it’s true, in the long run it’s worth a look at an Xbox, if you can get a good deal on one. Games are slightly more pricey, but you more than make up for that with not having to upgrade.
    Personally I use both – some games are only available on PC; others just work better on Xbox.

BenjiM

My main gripe with Bad Company 2 is the connection dropping. Especially near or at the end of the map and any score you’ve gotten is lost. At least in Modern Warfare it keeps the score if you exit early. Other than that BF:BC2 is great fun.

samuri
    Free Member

To those above I’d also add Bioshock (1, I’ve never played 2) and Far Cry (1, 2 is a bit rubbish). Both quite old games but excellent.

GTA4 is also pretty good too, lots of fun. The bank robbery mission is awesome!

ComradeD
    Free Member

dont bother with MOH. Get Bad Company 2, best online fps since CSS

DarkStarr
    Free Member

F.E.A.R. Series are also pretty good fun

anjs
    Free Member

Try using Steam , oftern have some good deals on there for games

http://store.steampowered.com/

nicko74

Doh – another vote for Bioshock 1 and 2!

FuzzyWuzzy

I got fed up upgrading my PC to so bought a PS3 – hate the crap thing. Gamepads are just utter shite for FPS gaming, it’s like playing on a PC with boxing gloves on. So I just bought another PC 🙁

As for games just get Black Ops for now, I was pleasantly surprised it lives up to it’s hype (it’s got a good single-player campaign to). There are a couple of lag issue on-line atm but apparently a patch is due soon, tbh though it’s not too bad (and dedicated server are back yay).

Haven’t bothered with MoH myself after it got a few dodgy reviews so can’t compare the two.

Mass Effect 2 is another one worth trying out, it’s an FPS but with a bit of a storyline and some other stuff going on.

pcb
    Free Member

Left for Dead 2 is great

Get it from Steam

pedalhead
    Free Member

yeah L4D2 is fantastic fun (and doesn’t require a supercomputer to run it well). A PC is essential for FPS games imho. Keyboard & mouse for the win!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Paging PC gamers – what shooting, fighting, killing fest?’ is closed to new replies.