Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Outside tap
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

I’ll soon be fitting an outdoor tap. Quite fancy fitting 2, one hot and one cold for bike cleaning etc.

Any reason why I shouldn’t do this?

gusamc
    Free Member

make sure you fit a new legal tap (one way valve to stop backfeed), have an inside cut off/isolator and have a down run on outside wall so after you turn off inside and run the outside tap then the outside wall pipe is empty (won’t freeze) and then shut off the outside tap

shortcut

Hot water outside – is just BRILLIANT!

glen815
    Free Member

The gypo’s will love you. Hot and cold water for free. 🙂

busydog
    Free Member

I was going to do exactly the same in order to wash bikes, dogs, etc., but instead hooked two short sections of hose to the washing machine hot and cold taps, ran them to a “Y” fitting, then can connect a hose to the “Y” and run it out through the garage to the driveway. Takes a minute to connect or disconnect and saved the cost/work of running a permanent water connection through the wall. Can easily adjust the temperature of the water with the cold/hot taps.

swampi
    Free Member

I accidentally mixed up the red and blue coloured bits on the taps that led to the washing machine feed when moving the machine, plumber came, took a feed from said pipe to outside tap, bingo by mistake I had a hot feed….genius as I wanted it for washing the bikes, perfect on freezing days

project
    Free Member

2 problems with outside taps, an old neighbour had one with ahose pipe reel connected to it, one day she had a row with some neighbours kids, so they went round that night , put the hose pipe through the letter box and turned it on, result, seriously floded house.

A custonmers house in the heat wave a few years ago, left the neighbour a key, neighbour decided to water the lawn, and left the hose on for what must have been a considerable time, as the day after they got back from holiday, i went round to fix a door for them, standing in the kitchen looking down the huge garden i noted the large water feature, and flooded lawn and plants, the home owner turned into Basil Fawlty as he ran out,to turn off the water.
    A few days later went back and it appeared the neighbour had left the tap running for a few days and run up a large bill on their water meter.

Always fit an off tap inside the house.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

go the whole hog–install a bike -wash –coin operated for authenticity

zilog6128

Do it but have a stop-cock AND a flexible hose (in that order!) before the tap. Know two people locally who have had their taps ripped out by our metal collecting friends whilst on holiday for the 20p worth of metal or whatever it is. One guy had the above setup, one guy returned to a flooded ground floor.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve got holt and cold outside taps. the hot one is ace, great for washing bikes/car and defrosting windscreens on cold mornings.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Outside tap’ is closed to new replies.