Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • osteoporosis
  • flatback
    Free Member

just back from doctors, and after recently having a bone density scan as part of a bad back pain diagnosis,it turns out i am borderline sufferer and will have to have another scan in 3 years.
    i am a 39 year old bloke 6 foot 12 stone ride about 10 to 12 hours a week and dont do much other sport cos of a dodgy knee.
    he has given me a option of a once a week bad tasting drink that they give to old ladies to help with problem or better dairy diet and calcium supplements but as i am borderline he wants to leave decision to me
    any body got any relevant experience please??

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Do more weight bearing exercise. Going steady at first obviously!

woody2000

Try looking at other sources of calcium too – green veg is a good source, broccoli, spring greens etc. Problem with dairy is that it's fatty, has high levels of animal proteins and isn't as readily absorbed as you might think. Load bearing is good, but take it easy 🙂

I'd have thought your prognosis would be pretty good, given your age and sex?

jond
    Free Member

Other (main?) problem with dairy is if it's processed, ie as hard cheese – the resulting chemical makeup tends to cause leaching of calcium from the bones as the body tries to keep a neutral ph (think that's also true of animal protein to a degree). Net result is in the west there are far more bone fractures, relatively, than asia.

Make sure you keep on top of it, both an aunt and a neighbour were/are in a terrible state from the age of 70 – at least you've found out early enough to do something about it.

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

I remember the topic being discussed in some human kinetics courses I took a while ago, but I can't remember a damn thing.
    Go to Google Scholar and read up on the latest osteo research.

Sandwich

What sort of terrain do you get to mountain bike on? If your back can stand it seek out rough ground as riding an MTB is suprisingly good for bone density increase (source Cycling Plus 224).
    The couch to 5k plan for running is supposed to be good for getting you running, depending on how trashed your lower back is.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I've got osteoarthritis (i know it's not quite the same!) in my knee and hip – Sometimes there is just no solution 🙁

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

OsteoEze

oldfart

I was diagnosed last xmas.I take 2 calcium tablets a day (1 in the morning 1 in the evening).Once a week i also take 1 alondronic acid tablet.You have to refrain from eating and lying down for 30 minutes but apart from that.Apparently the acid tablet reduces risk of further fractures by up to 50%.Take my advice talk to the nurses at National Osteoporosis Society.They know their stuff and are very encouraging.I'm back riding now rough stuff on a full suss just have to keep remembering .

aP
    Free Member

My 78 year old father discovered he had osteoporosis when he broke his wrist a couple of years ago. He now takes a fairly hefty series of medication and also has regular (periodic) visits to Oswestry othopaedic hospital where his consultant is.
    I assume that I'll be having this to look forward to in the next 30 years or so.

Northwind

I have osteoperosis (at 30 :evil:), as a result of coeliac disease which was wrongly treated… Mine is treated with twice-a-day supplements (adcal d3, which I think is basically calcium and vitamin D3) and a weekly actonel tablet (risedronate sodium)… In my case there's an external cause which we obviously got rid of once I spoke to some competent doctors, and also good diet should help. The medication is no burden at all but some people do suffer nausea from actonel, it can cause ulcers too I gather. But I wouldn't say it's something to avoid, exactly.

So, yeah, obviously brittle bones and mountain biking are an awesome combination! So I'm that guy that wears all his pads even if he's just riding along the canal.

Ironically, cycling's one of the worst sports for the osteoperotic, road cycling especially, though mountain biking's not great either.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘osteoporosis’ is closed to new replies.