• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Twin.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Orange Five Shock Options – Keep the RP23 and tune it, or fit something else
  • SirHC

Forks on my Orange 5 are perfect, the RP23 is letting the bike down though. Can’t get enough rebound damping and there isn’t enough compression damping.

So, do I send the RP23 away to be repaired. If so, who has the best experience/knowledge of RP23’s on orange 5’s.

Or, fit another shock. DB Air, Monarch plus? Ideally I’d like something with compression adjust.

Thanks for your help.

Northwind

RP23 is a very good shock… And tbh Orange usually get their tunes right. Are you (no offence) out of the average weight range?

Rickos
    Free Member

Is it the higher volume air can? Might be worth trying a small air can. I enjoyed mine like that with sag set about a third.

legend
    Free Member

Just had a nice tune and volume reduction done, by Loco, on mine. Definite improvement over the high volume setup, better sag-support balance

carlphillips
    Free Member

rp23 on mine is fooking great, miles better than my tuned/shim stacked swinger i had on my morewood, excellent shock ime..

floki
    Free Member

Agree with you, when running an RP23 on my Five I’ve always thought the rebound is on the light side. Anyway I got TF to PUSH mine – was much improved over stock Fox.
    However since then I’ve bought a BOS Vip’r and have been very impressed by the control it gives.

stevede
    Free Member

Get your rp23 tuned, it’s a good shock and works well with the bike once set up correctly for you. Tf tuned just tuned the rp23 on my enduro and the performance difference is night and day, it works exactly how I wanted it to now – I needed a firmer compression tune due to being a bit heavier than the target 12st ish riders shocks tend to come tuned for. On my five I fitted a medium air can spacer which sorted it out a treat.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@ stevede how much was the spacer mod..? I’m not going to do it to mine as it feels ace but just interested..?

stevede
    Free Member

Carl – you buy a pack of 3 (sm,med,large) from mojo for £20. I needed it on mine as running the shock with 30% sag meant that it bottomed on bigger compressions.

carlphillips
    Free Member

ah fairly cheap then, no problems with mine so far though (and I’m a shade under 13st).

mildred

In my experience the 5 definitely works better with a smaller volume can.

jairaj

I would talk to Mojo see what they advise. They are the Fox service centre and work quite a lot with Orange. Seems like they would have the perfect knowledge base for your needs.

SirHC

Northwind, Yes, if the average rider is maybe 70kg I’m about 30 over!

Have emailed Loco, as have used him before for a new set of forks. Waiting on a reply, otherwise it seems the best bet is off to TF.

Thanks for the advice on the air can spacers, will bring it up with Loco. If I dont get a reply will call TF.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Twin
    Free Member

The main man at LOCO is on paternity leave at the moment, you may need to give him a couple of days!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five Shock Options – Keep the RP23 and tune it, or fit something else’ is closed to new replies.