Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Orange Five – CCDB Coil, Air, Air CS or Inline?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Ok, so I currently ride a 26″ Five with a CCDB Coil, it’s great but can’t help thinking the bike is a bit hefty at 34 pounds. I can save a good couple on the tyres so will fix that as we approach better weather. Also run Fox 36’s (2010) which I fancy replacing with pikes the big question is do I change out the CCDB Coil and replace with a lighter alternative.

When I built the bike I was thinking about doing more DH than I do…currently very very little and since having the bike I’ve got more and more into XC/trail ridding. Don’t get me wrong I like the downs more than the ups but if I’m honest the bikes probably a little more heavy duty than required.

So is it worth the 400-500g saving to get an air or more for inline? Then I I go air would I be silly not to get CS. Appear to be some good prices on the continent with current exchange rates so any experiences/advise much appreciated.

Cheers

dandasbike
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 five with a ccdb cs and its a marked improvement over the monarch it replaced. 34 lb! Mine weighs 28.9 lb with a moderately fancy build.

chiefgrooveguru

A Five should work better with a CCDBair than coil because the linkage is slightly regressive and the air spring ramps up so will be harder to bottom out whilst still running the right amount of sag and having decent small bump sensitivity. I’m guessing that at the moment you rely on the HSC to stop it bottoming hard?

nwill1
    Free Member

Cheers…looking at the usual euro shops (Pro bike Shop/HiBikes/Bike.DE) I can get the inline for £285, Air £320, Air CS £395.

I kind of feel like I don’t want to lose the performance and still like a hard hitting ride but would like to lose some weight so Air is probably best but do I go CS or not? Is it required on a Five.

Interesting that the air should work better…I wasn’t aware, I’m not that technically minded in all honesty.

wl
    Free Member

Fox Kashima thing on my 2014 26″ Five and it’s ace. 150mm Pikes up front, £320 from that French site. Bang on 30lb with dropper and sensible tyres/robust 2×10 build. Brilliant all-rounder.

Rik
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 five with a ccdb cs and its a marked improvement over the monarch it replaced. 34 lb! Mine weighs 28.9 lb with a moderately fancy build.

I bet it doesn’t

nwill1
    Free Member

wl…waiting for Pike to be at that sort of price again think they’re about £380 ATM (unless some one can point me in the right direction). I found my Fox blew straight through the travel CCDB is much better but not sure I need such a heavy duty shock given the ridding I mainly do.

dandasbike
    Free Member

@rik yes it does on the same park scales that weighed my old nomad c at 30.2 lb, I’m a 35 year old man why would I lie about how heavy my bike is?

nwill1
    Free Member

dandasbike…would love to see a pic, change of forks, shock & tyres could save me 4 lb not to mention my Saint Pedals. Not interested in a whippet but would complain at bringing it in at under 30 lb!

Rik
    Free Member

Go on then put a photo up of your magical build.

What does your age have to do about it?

dandasbike
    Free Member

Its an rs with fatbar lite c bars and thomson stem, sram roam 50 wheels with schwalbe snakeskin tyres, xt pedals. I don’t know how to put pics on here but feel free to befriend me on facebook and have a look. Alexanda ford. Find it bizarre you think Id lie about it.

nwill1
    Free Member

I’m not questioning it but would love to see a pic…got a link?

dandasbike
    Free Member

I’m a computer retard but look me up on facebook and there are lots of recent pics. Alexanda ford profle pic is a spaniel. Maybe some pics on roots and rain same name.

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t know why people assume Oranges are heavy. They have one pivot rather than four, big box section rear and simpler tubes up front, and they’re not massively stiff (not bendy though!) Although they’re not flimsy they’re not unbreakably overbuilt. Maybe they just look heavy?

Nwill, what size chainring do you use?

nwill1
    Free Member

I’ve always run 34t but just purchased a 30t NW as an experiment. Not the fittest on the block so thought I’d give the smaller ring a try…don’t fancy the faff of an expander.

peacefulparsnip
    Free Member

I don’t really see why a coil would work any better on a regressive shock rate. If the inline has anything near the performance of the CS I’d get that simply for the weight and money savings.
    Not long upgraded from an rp23 to one of the original ccdb airs and the bike is much better for it. You will probably want to fit a volume spacer or two though

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

It’s quite believable I’ve had my five down to 28.6 with sram drive chain, avids and sector forks. With pikes and shimano drivechain/brakes it’s 31ibs.

takisawa2

2015 Five, Factory 34’s & shock, XT 1×10 drivetrain & brakes, 319’a on Evos, tubes wire tyres is dead on 30lb on my scales.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t know why people assume Oranges are heavy. ….Maybe they just look heavy?

It would probably help if Orange put up a weight on the site for a certain size (they have a fancy bike builder thingy so not that hard to do) – edit it always makes me suspicious that they are trying to keep something quiet by not quoting a frame weight /edit

Then people go and slap on coil shocks, heavy forks and make em beefy 😉 normally puts the lb’s on

benpinnick

28.9 would be perfectly reasonable – A friend of mine recently built a Nomad C which I helped him out with wheels etc. for – weighed in (accurately) at 27.4 lbs and that was with Fox 36s (+ lots of nice kit I will admit). No reason to think a five would be more than 1.5lbs heavier given the same equipment, the Nomad C isnt that light.

Back on topic, the CC DB Air CS is easier to tune than an inline Ive found, but once set up, there’s not alot to choose between them.

chiefgrooveguru

I think I’d get the Inline as it’s that much cheaper than a CS. If you stick with the 30t you might not use the climb switch much, certainly less than if you were running a 36t or a double, but it’s nice to have in case.

qtip

Just wondering about your logic on the above chiefgrooveguru. Why would you use the CS less with a 30T as compared to a double? Isn’t there less climbing bob in the granny ring due to pivot position on the 5? As such, wouldn’t you need the CS less? Or is the bob reduced due to the suspension being compressed by the tension on the chain (I thought it was extended), and thus you’d use the CS to prevent the head angle slackening? If the latter, then why would you use the CS more with a 36t?

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but interested in the rationale as I’m also considering a shock change on my 5.

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve got a ccdb air cs on my five paired with a 140mm Bos Deville, I find the shock a great match for the Deville. No experience of the inline but I’d be put off by the reliability issues. My five sits at 30lbs with a fairly high spec build, crossmax enduros, carbon bars, carbon cranks with direct mount ring, 1×10, minimal 77designz chain guide, ti railed saddle, reverb, exo tyres etc. I haven’t gone flimsy on anything, the weight is in the forks and shock but I’m happy with the weight penalty for the performance gains. 34t is good for me with a one up bail out set up on the cassette. Had a 30t ring on my old alpine and it felt weird pedalling, not sure if its the single pivot design or just in my head but I wasn’t a fan.

wl
    Free Member

nwill1 – worth waiting for those Pikes – the 150mm ones suit the Five perfectly in terms of angles, bb height etc. Slack and low enough without making the seat angle too horrible for long or steep climbs. I have a spacer or two in my Fox shock to help it ramp up. I run it pretty soft and I bottom it out maybe once on every ride, but then I’m not jumping the bike and I’m only 11.5 stone. I do the occasional 3-4 ft drop-off. Suits me very well for all-day riding and hike-a-biking in the Pennines and Lakes.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’ve just gone for a CCDB Inline on my Five (2013). I’m only two rides in so lots of setting up/fiddling still to do but initial report is that it feels like it has a lot more support than the RP23 it replaced (manuals seem easier anyway). With the CS on i get no pedal bob and even with it off its a lot less than the RP23 was with the pro-pedal off.

As for weight i have no idea, never weighed it.

nwill1
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

“The CC DB Air CS is easier to tune than an inline Ive found, but once set up, there’s not alot to choose between them.”

This is an interesting comment would anyone else concur?

Due to pricing I’m leaning towards the CCDB Air.

dandasbike
    Free Member

Mine is the ccdba with the cs switch and I dialled in the specific five tune off the cane creek set up furum the lounge and haven’t touched it since, the inline has reliability issues to.

nwill1
    Free Member

How oftern do you use the CS? How do you feel you’d get on without it. I love the idea of it and would love to get one but best price on CCDB Air is about £330 it’s close to £400…reckon I’ll get about £200 for the coil can’t justify a £200 upgrade…just over £100 however is much more appealing!

dirtydog
    Free Member

Just wondering about your logic on the above chiefgrooveguru. Why would you use the CS less with a 30T as compared to a double?

Probably something to do with the anti squat characteristics. They’re supposed to pedal best in the 32t ring, I’m still trying to get to grips with it, hopefuly someone will be along to explain how it works.

Anyone?

dandasbike
    Free Member

I use the cs at the bottom of every dh and would miss it loads, makes it so you can run the shock real plush with no diadvantages while climbing.

nwill1
    Free Member

Wow pretty much like a dropper post then…every decent it goes down…every decent you CS is tuned off.

So how’s the climb switch on flat trails and shot decents where it’s not worth turning it off?

dandasbike
    Free Member

Works good on single track etc with cs engaged it perhaps does not turn quite so good as your not sat in so much sag and its a bit harsh on squares edges if you didn’t unweight the bike slightly but overall its fine to run with the cs engaged if you wish.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five – CCDB Coil, Air, Air CS or Inline?’ is closed to new replies.