Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • OneUp V2 Dropper – a bit underwhelmed
  • orangespyderman

So – I ordered a 180mm V2 dropper from OneUp. It arrived last week and was fitted last night. The main reason was that it actually works out about the same extension as my 150mm RaceFace but with MOAR DROP! In fact it feels ever so slightly shorter, which was what I’d hoped as even slammed the RaceFace always felt slightly too long. So result on that count.

However, there are a few niggles. One is, as mentioned in the PSA thread, it’s really sensitive to how tight the seat collar is. Too sensitive, in fact. When done up past about 3Nm on my torque wrench, it doesn’t reliably extend. Past 5Nm is hardly extends at all. I don’t think my wrench is wrongly calibrated either, because even done up by hand, it only takes about a quarter turn past “nipped up” to start showing extension issues. Now perhaps this is because it is slammed in the seat tube or something but whatever the reason I’m confident that it’ll be too loose to reliably keep the saddle pointing forward. I haven’t ridden it properly yet, so we’ll see when I do. Perhaps I could improve that with carbon paste, but I always thought (and I’m not sure why…) that carbon paste and droppers are a no-no.

Other niggle is that it has rotational play. Not much but definitely there – this annoys me slightly since the RaceFace was actually damn solid.

Last point is that it doesn’t reliably extend when fully dropped. It reliably extends from mid drop pretty much every time, but when fully dropped it doesn’t always clunk back into place when it extends. A slight pull up with the lever pressed in gets it there.

I’ve contacted their warranty so we’ll see what the feedback is – I’m not yet clamouring for the Director’s personal email address 🙂 It’s an impressive bit of kit, to be honest, but once fitted mine really doesn’t fill me with the confidence that it’ll give me as much hassle-free riding as the RaceFace did, though it’s impressive how they can get 180mm drop in such a low stack.

chiefgrooveguru

“Perhaps I could improve that with carbon paste, but I always thought (and I’m not sure why…) that carbon paste and droppers are a no-no.”

I’m not sure why either. Carbon paste is a really good idea on dropper posts.

dc1988

There’s no issue using carbon paste with a dropper, it allows you to use less torque to keep the post in place so it’s a sensible move if you’re having slipping issues or not.

5lab

I’ve used one of these in the past when I had a seat post too sensitive to torque

http://www.hotlines-uk.com/brand-x-double-bolt-seat-clamp

allows you to apply the right amount of torque twice, which I figured grips the post more firmly. Without it my old post was either too loose (could turn the saddle by hand) or wouldn’t raise

Wookster

Ive got a 170mm fitted, I found I needed to pump the pressure up to get it to go up and down properly (which is fair enough, just wish I’d remembered to do it before I fitted the saddle!! 😂) but apart from that the post is clamped and isn’t displaying any of the issues you’ve mentioned mate.

Wookster

Accidental double!

wwaswas

As above – up the air pressure in the post a bit to aid the rise.

If you use carbon paste you need to remove the post every few months as the ‘liquid’ bit of the paste tends to dry over time and then you start getting corrosion issues (don’t ask me how I know!).

I thought all droppers were delivered with instructions to only use carbon paste, tbh.

orangespyderman

I thought all droppers were delivered with instructions to only use carbon paste, tbh.

My OneUp dropper came without any sort of instructions in the box. The “instructions” here :

https://can.oneupcomponents.com/pages/dropper-post-installation

don’t offer advice on paste/no paste but do say do it up lightly, but I assumed that was just the first step when all we’re doing is measuring the cable/outer for fitment before cutting it. I don’t think it actually says that you have to put the post back in again, in fact 🙂

I’ll give some carbon paste a try, check the pressure and maybe add a bit more (will mean taking the damn saddle back off grrrrrrr… 🙂 )

benpinnick

All the posts of that type will probably suffer from both underfilling of air from the factory, and sensitivity to clamping near the top of the post just below the collar, so if you’re buying one just refill and use carbon paste/assembly grease as a matter of course.

orangespyderman

underfilling of air from the factory

I’d imagined that to be the case, so checked and pumped it up slightly before installation already. But will do again.

No-one has made any mention of the slight rotational play – is that to be expected? I’m a bit disappointed because the RaceFace it replaced was fine, and no noticeable movement was there whatsoever.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Happy with mine.

Its done up tight but its about 3 inches higher than slammed.
    There is a bit of rotational play but no worse than my Fox Transfer
    The lever action isn’t as smooth though (slightly notchy) and I’m not that keen on the way that the outer cable is pulled rather than the inner which is probably the cause. I have the post bottomed out on my Mondrakers interrupted seat tube so the outer cable is probably rubbing on carbon when it moves. Not ideal but I am guessing this is one of the ways they got the overall length so short.

Overall I am happy though – I had to shim it down to 170mm but that is still 20mm better lower than the Fox post it replaced.

wwaswas

Can you feel the play while riding?

My One Up v1 had *very* slight play when new – a year, 800 miles, one 10 minute dismantle, clean and regrease later and it’s no worse.

Snap4130
    Free Member

Happy with the 210mm version I’ve got. Had it both slammed and about 1.5″ higher and it seems totally smooth.

Small amount of play, but much better than the fox transfer it replaced, and I’m loving the extra drop!

Mine is fitted to a V4 Nomad so I had to swap to the v2.1 actuator which works off the cable inner not the housing. Not sure why they haven’t made the 2.1 actuator standard as it’s not any longer

ndthornton
    Free Member

had to swap to the v2.1 actuator

I had no idea there was a different actuator.
    What is the problem with the nomad?
    Is it just an interrupted seat tube?
    Would it be worth me getting one for my Mondraker Dune do you think?

koldun
    Free Member

Do they hold air though? I’m getting tired of topping up my RF dropper every week.

orangespyderman

I’m getting tired of topping up my RF dropper every week

I’ve topped mine up once when I thought it was an issue, but it didn’t need it. Was a cable issue in the end. I’ve had it over 2 years, never serviced, not looked after at all, just plodded on.

fathomer

ndthornton – Member

I had no idea there was a different actuator.
    What is the problem with the nomad?
    Is it just an interrupted seat tube?
    Would it be worth me getting one for my Mondraker Dune do you think?

On the Santa Cruz’s it because of the low shock I believe. I had an unresolveable issue with my Cotic FlareMAX which meant I passe don my original 170mm. I’ve now got a 180mm with the V2.1 actuator and it seems fine riding around the block. The lever throw is very small though, if that makes sense.

koldun
    Free Member

@orangespyderman mine is about 2.5 years now and was fine for about 2 years too 😉
    I’ll bother RF about it first, maybe they can suggest something.

ndthornton
    Free Member

The lever throw is very small though, if that makes sense.

Mine too – think it is a result of making the actuator as short as possible – fair trade off.
    Iv ordered the 2.1 though – looks like a better design. Hope as you say its the same length as I am very close to the limit of it being too tall

Snap4130
    Free Member

I didn’t precisely measure the length of the 2 actuators, but comparing them by eye they looked the same. I was in a rush to swap them over though! If you’re running things that close it would be worth checking with them.

The v2.1 actuator is needed on all low shock Santa Cruz bikes as the internal cable routing is tight enough that you can’t get the required movement in the cable housing. I never liked the idea of the post being actuated by the housing anyway, so glad they came up with the new design.

The 2.1 actuator is free when you order on their website, just need to tick the box to include it.

JohnnyPanic

Anyone know of you can fit a V2 actuator to a v1 post?
    It’s 17mm less stack height that I could really use.

Snap4130
    Free Member

I don’t think you can fit the v2 actuator to the v1 post. There’s a thread on MTBR forums with some replies from oneup, I’m sure someone asked that question.

bigwill
    Free Member

3 or 4 rides into my 210 v2 and it’s doing what it’s supposed to. No issues with tight collars or any noticeable play. Might let a bit of air out as it’s super fast and the position of the lever on the bars is different to the reverb which was more tucked underneath. All in all a pretty solid bit of kit and great to have such a big drop.

orangespyderman

So… There’s a (happy) end to this. Short version is it’s all my fault. It was air pressure, I don’t know why but it was low, probably not fully extended when I checked it the first time. Correct pressure has resolved the issues.

Shout out to OneUp – they replied quickly with an email, with a bunch of things to check, some advice and a clear offer to refund or replace, at my choice, if the checks didn’t resolve it to my satisfaction. Perfect customer service, even when they were faced with a numpty. Absolutely spot on.

big_scot_nanny

Marvellous – gotta love a happy ending 😉

Mine 210 is 4 rides in now, must admit that I find it indistinguishable in service from the 170 brand x it replaced, except for the fact that when the saddle is fully dropped, it is like riding a bike without a saddle at all – makes steep and rough bits an absolute doddle (as 5x gold PRs on DH sections on my ride this morning will testify!)

jayx2a
    Free Member

Old post, but hows everyone finding the V2?

Remote is an improvement and the V2.1 actuator is an improvement and much more reliable.

However – I do find there is a little bit of play in the post – especially when in the down position. This was not present in my V1. I think some of it might be that the post has much smaller grooves to keep it straight.

Anyone else notice a bit of movement in theirs?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No more movement in mine than the many reverbs or the Lev integra that I had previously. Dropper posts are pretty much always gonna have a bit of play tbh, and as I don’t ever notice it whilst riding, It’s never caused a concern.

scruff
    Free Member

Mine has similar levels of play as my old reverb within the same time, it looks pretty simple to sort it with the key kits on the website.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Spoke to OneUp and they said that some of the V2 posts do have a bit more movement than others and the oversized pin kit can be used. Currently out of stock for at least a few weeks though.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I bought the v2.1 actuator and then when I went to fit realised I had the v1 post and no it doesn’t fit, confirmed by OneUp when I asked them. No rotational play at all on the v1 post but the cable tension has to be pretty bang on to ensure it doesn’t sink down when sitting on the saddle.

Possibly the v2 posts with v2.1 actuator deals with this annoying issue but other than that all is good. Anyone got the v2 on a Cotic bike, is it any better than the old one? Which was just too tight to work correctly.

kelvin

I’m still using a V1 on my Cotics, but I think Cy fitted and tested the V2.1 before ordering them in as new options on the bikes. The lack of moving cable outer is the only improvement I’d like for my older version… it makes it fiddly to set up for sure.

big_scot_nanny

I had the same issue, seemed to have to have so little torque on the seat tube clamp bolt, but it also tuned out to be that the pressure was way too low.

I hope it doesn’t need adjusting often, I bloody hate taking saddles on and off – so bloody fiddly!

exsee
    Free Member

The play in mine is at an acceptable level but it is a noisy rattle sort of play compared to the more expensive posts.

fathomer

bungalistic Subscriber
    Possibly the v2 posts with v2.1 actuator deals with this annoying issue but other than that all is good. Anyone got the v2 on a Cotic bike, is it any better than the old one? Which was just too tight to work correctly.

180mm V2 with a V2.1 actuator working fine on my FlareMAX. I couldn’t get the V1 to work at all so gave up and sold it.

exsee Member
    The play in mine is at an acceptable level but it is a noisy rattle sort of play compared to the more expensive posts.

Do you only get rattle with the post fully extended? If so there’s a fix for this on the mtbr thread

isoo
    Free Member

I’ve got a 210 mm and it does move back and forth a bit as well as some rotation. Last ride I noticed that the seal part on the top of the outer tube had come loose, as someone reported in that MTBR thread linked above. Twisted it finger tight, but it’s time to buy a strap wrench I guess.

Apart from that works fine, goes down, goes up, stays there.

Edit: Thanks to fathomer for linking the thread, I’ve been meaning to contact OneUp about the loose seal, but hadn’t gotten around to it.

GolfChick
    Free Member

If anyone has a random v2.1 actuator spare, I’ll happily take it!

fathomer

isoo Subscriber
    Edit: Thanks to fathomer for linking the thread, I’ve been meaning to contact OneUp about the loose seal, but hadn’t gotten around to it.

No worries, it’s good when companies post on forums to help people out, the info’s in the public domain then and not just in someones inbox. Just like Cotic, Bird, Brant, Smudge and a few others do on here.

kelvin

Some quick words from Cy about the V2.1 & Cotic droplink frames…

https://www.cotic.co.uk/news/2019/oneupdropper

tetrode
    Free Member

So I just picked up a 180mm V2 post which arrived yesterday to replace my eThirteen TRS one which has been frustrating me for over a year and all I can say is wow, why didn’t I do this sooner! It is night and day difference.

The installation was a doddle since all I needed to do was swap over the saddle and hook up the already fitted cable and put the post in. It’s working absolutely perfectly out of the box, goes up to full extension without complaint and is so much smoother, more reliable, more adjustable and just all around nicer than the eThirteen one. And I picked it up for £158.99 which is a steal!

Can’t wait to really try it out this weekend.

rhayter

I’ve been riding a 180mm V2 this summer. It goes up and down perfectly. It had a little rotational play out of the box, but not enough to be noticeable while riding. However it’s developed an awful creak whenever I have to put any pressure through the pedals while seated (so, most of the time on the flat, all the time on a climb) which has become so distracting/annoying I’ve taken it back to the shop to sort. I have a feeling it doesn’t fit perfectly in the frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘OneUp V2 Dropper – a bit underwhelmed’ is closed to new replies.