Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • OneUp EDC Tool
  • iggs
    Free Member

Ben – what do you reckon the sketch will be regarding the 8mm of thread required in the top of the steerer? Some folks have been worried about invalidating warrentees.

From my perspective I’d be surprised if it was a problem. Steerers need cutting anyway, it’s beyond the points where lots of stress is applied (bottom of head tube and top of head tube to bottom of stem have got to be the problem areas). I have a normally run a ‘normal’ 10mm of spacer on the top of my stem (5mm below) so it’s up out of the way anyway.

I think it would be a cool custom option on a bike build

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Neat in some ways.
    But as others have said, expensive for what it is.

I just pop a multi tool in my short or jersey pocket.

Still ride bagless.

benpinnick

@iggs – thats the exact reason we’re not supplying them right now. I have no clarity on the warranty side. If and when I do get that, I am sure we’ll go right ahead and start stocking them! Like you say there’s realistically almost no way its going to effect anything really, unless someone over tightens the top bolt of a stem, with it fully up/no spacers above.

smell_it
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks now. It’s been used on a range of rides and a range of mechanicals.

I must be really lucky, whilst I carry a multi tool on all rides, I can’t actually remember the last time I found myself needing it to save a ride. It’s more an if needed item?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Of the folks using them who may have ridden in the wet and washed your bikes, how well sealed is this from the top or is the tool likely to rust over time?

jamcorse

I’ve got the pump version, (birthday, one of the many pleasures of being married to a fellow mountain biker…). The pump is properly well made, solid, well-sealed, light and pushes a good volume of air. The tool kit is also well-sealed into the top of the pump. I have done some wet rides and I’m an anal bike-washer, the seals work.

Riding bagless, with enough kit to self-rescue in most situations is nirvana to me.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

The pump seems to be out of stock everywhere, where are people getting them?

walleater

Of the folks using them who may have ridden in the wet and washed your bikes, how well sealed is this from the top or is the tool likely to rust over time?

There’s an O ring at the top of the tool to help it stay in place and seal it from the elephants, and a lightweight ‘bung’ under the steerer that stops the tool from rattling so it’s pretty well sealed.

Re. the cutting of threads, I’ve installed a few of these, including the one on my bike and there’s so few threads that I’d say it’s a non-issue. Even if you were running no spacer above the stem, the threaded section would probably only just reach the upper stem bolt. Someone commented on steerers being some precise engineered product which they are not. They are a ‘one size’ fits all / cut to length bit of pipe in simple terms. If they were that precise, they’d be size specific, with butted / tapered internal profiles related to the length of the tube and probably even be tapered to a thinner wall right at the top where there are lower leverage forces, just the clamping forces (generally only 5Nm) from the upper stem bolt.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

simply_oli_y – Member
    Neat in some ways.
    But as others have said, expensive for what it is.

I just pop a multi tool in my short or jersey pocket.
    between jerseys with no pockes, shorts with no zips and the impending doom of the magnetic tool/ground interface when you crash I love the idea. When I have some spare cash…

oikeith

As someone that dropped extra cash on a carbon specialized to get the SWAT storage and stop riding with a pack I think this is great product. If only it launched earlier in the year, it would have saved me the price difference between comp and elite minus this tool!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘OneUp EDC Tool’ is closed to new replies.