Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • One for the weight weenies, what seatpost?
  • thebone
    Free Member

as title, what (light) inline seatposts are people using?
    Ta

Talkemada
    Free Member

Thomson Masterpiece. Really light. 220g or so. You might get something in carbon weighing less, but it might cost a bloody fortune.

Mind you, the Masterpiece isn't cheap. I only paid £40 for mine s/h though. 😀

doof_doof
    Free Member

I've got KCNC, Masterpiece and Extralite posts.

KCNC is good value if you aren't a fatty. I changed the bolts to high tensile steel after I snapped one of the titanium ones.

The Thomson has the best clamp, but it's not a true lightweight post in my book.

Keva
    Free Member

KCNC Ti Pro Scandium on my bikes – quoted as 142g.

Kev

Bream
    Free Member

How heavy are you? and what riding?

New Ultimate is about the lightest, or the KCNC as above. Although I reckon the Masterpiece is about the best weight/strength option and what I run myself.

simon1975

Syntace P6 here – not superlight but it'll do nicely. Great clamp and comes in 400mm.

lyons
    Free Member

Get an ibeam and fx saddle and post… Really light, and cheap. I'm amazed more people don't use them…

Dirtynap
    Free Member

diamter 27.2mm
    Thomson 228 grams (330 length) NukeProof 235 grams (400 Length).
    KCNC Ti pro 162grams (400 length) 140grams (350mm.

I use a warhead 31.6mm by 400mm with Ti bolts and it weigh in 260grams (KCNC would be 182grams) but i weigh 95kgs.

I use a KCNC Ti pro cut down on my DH bike, it weighs about 80grams :D, its only 100mm though.

mttm
    Free Member

USE Sumo Carbon. OK, it does have 10mm of layback, but that might not be a deal breaker. And it's nice and light (weight: 184g, 30.9 / 300mm), and not too pricey (SRP £85, CRC £75).

I have one on my Intense, it's a good piece of kit.

toons
    Free Member

Edge Composites 171g (27.2, 400mm)

thebone
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, i'll take a look at the KCNC and the other suggestions.

How heavy are you? and what riding?

I'm under 10 stone, FS carbon frame – do the odd race/event etc

gee
    Free Member

I'd watch superlight posts – the seatpost takes a hell of a hammering and I've seen quite a few of the aforementioned ones in several pieces at various races over the years – the exception being the Thompson.

Having broken a number of posts, I now run a Salsa Shaft on all my mountain bikes – I got into them as I am sponsored by Salsa but now have one for each bike. They're not the lightest but I've not broken one in 3 years of racing.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep and if Gee's experiences with FRM are anything to go by they should be added to the 'avoid' list too!

I used to distribute New Ultimate, and still have a few of their posts to flog. They're very light (my 30.9×350 was 129g IIRC), but do have a 90kg weight limit. Have to say I've not seen one break though, the yokes seem surprisingly tough! They're not cheap though, £170ish.

thomthumb
    Free Member

depends on the budget and comfort you need/ want.

the kcnc is really good £/g.

as touched on seat post/ saddle systems can be much lighter. either i beam or the custom carbon jobbies – like this badboy costs a monkey though!!

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I have the Kore carbon I-beam post and a SDG I-fly saddle on my weight weenie bike. can't recall exact weight, but it was the lightest combo I could find at the time. works great for me, although long spells in the saddle could get a bit tiring, it's a hard saddle. No problem on my SS though, mostly it's ridden out of the saddle anyway

njee20
    Free Member

I-beam is notorious for breaking though! Can usually be got on the cheap mind!

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I-beam is notorious for breaking though!

had mine for a year with no worries. Like I said though, it's on a singlespeed so I don't spend hours in it, more like minutes sweating over it! I don't know anyone else who uses an I-beam seatpost though, so could be I've just been lucky / etc

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I-beam is notorious for breaking though!

Mine lasted 3 rides – the Kore seatpost only grips on 2 very small areas of the rail (~5mm long) – I botched a jump, and it just tore the lip off the rail in those 2 areas.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘One for the weight weenies, what seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.