• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • One for the runners – why the numb feet?
  • Crag
    Free Member

So, new year, new fitness regime! With 2011 being the year I get fit (honest) I’ve entered the Leeds half marathonamd have been running 3 or 4 miles 3 times a week.

Trouble is, I’m getting numb feet about a mile in. if I walk a couple of paces I can feel the blood flowing back and feeling return – obviously no good if I’m running 13 miles. Any ideas why it’s happening, and more importantly, how do I stop it.

djglover
    Free Member

Try some different, or properly fitted shoes. Or get some roller skates.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The shoes might be constricting your blood flow a bit when they flex as you run. Try loosing the laces a bit, and if that helps, try some different lacing patterns.

Crag
    Free Member

Laces nice and loose. Is it a case of runnIng conditioning that I just to suck up and wait till I’m the epitome of athleticism?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess another thing to do is to ascertain whether the numbness is poor circulation or a nerve sending a false signal. So maybe next time they feel numb, take your shows and socks off and check if your feet are actually cold. That way at least you’ll have a bit more info to go with.
    I’d be also inclined to just try some different shoes.

dougieb
    Free Member

used to suffer from the same thing, always after about 5 miles on every run. Eventually read on runners world that short achilles tendons can cause it. Did achilles stretches before each run (standing on tip toes) and the problem stopped – give it a go.

Crag
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, new shoes and achilles stretches it is then.

anonymouse
    Free Member

6 replies in and nobody’s shouting about barefoot running yet? Where are the usual suspects?

Seriously, though, properly fitted shoes and stretches should help. And good luck in the Leeds half. Practice running up Stonegate road to get used to it; that’s the hardest part of the course.

boblo
    Free Member

BAREFOOT RUNNING!!!!! HTH

And… yerallpussiesandgeekscosyoudon’tagreewithmeandyoucan’trunandI’mafantasticsurfer/driver/etc

Just in case anyone was missing the full experience 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think you missed out expert bare knuckle kung fu fighter, or whatever it was.

rewski
    Free Member

Assume you got your shoes from a shop wear the film your running on a treadmill or watch you run down the street?

MrNutt
    Free Member

attach many helium balloons to your arse, that should reduce the load & impact and in turn ease the pressure upon your feet.

boblo
    Free Member

English translation service supplied:

Did you get your shoes from a shop where they film you running on a treadmill or watch you run down the street?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Don’t go and buy new trainers straight away!

Stretch as above before deciding you NEED new trainers and warm up properly… or do you just want to buy new trainers.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

I find that my feet go a bit numb running barefoot this time of year as well…..Ho hum 😀

roper
    Free Member

Is there a specific part where the numbness starts or lingers?

Also, just to add to the stretching advice above, standing on your toes won’t fully stretch your achilles.
    The stretch is to find a small step or curb and stand on the edge of it with your heels hanging over, in the air but keeping your feet horizontal. Gently lower your heels, so they are lower than your toes, while keeping your toes on the step, and go back to the horizontal. Then raise your heel above the toes, and go back to the horizontal. Be gentle and patient as it can take ages to recover from achilles damage or to make notice any improvements.
    If this is the cause of your problem, then it might also be worth stretching your feet, all the back of your legs including your bum and lower back too, as these areas all work together and could help.

dobo
    Free Member

narrow trainers made my feet generally ache, luckily my road trainers ere good fit so knew it was trainer related. that said i used to get serious pain in my calves, which was a combo of not warming up, not enough stretching and not used to running after long time off and only cycling.
    just need to sort out my aching knee now which i think is bike related.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘One for the runners – why the numb feet?’ is closed to new replies.