Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • One day in north Wales
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

We’re going to be staying near Wrexham.
    Sunday is a llandegla day
    What trail would you ride Saturday and why?

TrekEX8
    Free Member
    cymro1
    Free Member

Mole fammau, Ruthin, clwyd gate, Mold via loggerheads or maes hafn. It’s as muddy as @&£; around here at moment. Take in backside towards cilcain too.

project
    Free Member

Get yourelves to llangwfan forest, above mold on the nannerch/denbigh road narrow singletrack road, at car park, take ramp back onto road, and down hill to right, about a few hundred yards sharp left, up a drive, to gate, closed, follow track, then keep left, down hill then sharp right down hill, lots of gates, great descent but a bit muddy, past the toblerone house, at road t left, then right after steel gate up side of house, another gate, continue along thew Verandah for a few miles lots of gates and mud, at final gate in car park t right, and follow down hill, steep, then next right up hill, then along a wet bit,more gates and cattle grid, when you eventually reach road t right, and up hill back to base camp.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

^ sounds great if your a local.
    But with girlfriend so exploring is a no no.
    Has to be way marked with a start and stop distance.
    Am thinking Pen or Marin if Dry or a trail centre in the wet.

continuity
    Free Member

If chucking it down you can always go to cyb!

ampthill

I would recomend Penmachno, if thats what you meant by Pen over Marin. But would point out that Marin is probably easier if you or your partner would rather avoid rocks.

PS some one will in a minute say that Pemmacno isn’t technical. In advance I have no idea what the worls technical means but can testify from personal experience that its rocky enough for some one who isn’t feeling confident to get off and walk quite a bit

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Forgot to add just doing homework for the first weekend in oct.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Marin has to be the if not one of the best ‘all-weather’ trails i’ve ever ridden.

daimaths
    Free Member

Pen for me,always “damp” but great fun, stop off at Rhug estate farm shop on way back for cracking burger,yomyomyom! 🙂

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I rode penmachno in the rain last week,loved it. I found the Marin boring in comparison.

jswan
    Free Member

Marin has a lot of fire road.

grum
    Free Member

I’d go to Coed y Brenin over Penmachno personally. 20 mins further though I guess.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Have a look for the extended Marin trail, nice long day in the hills

ampthill

I’d go to Coed y Brenin over Penmachno personally. 20 mins further though I guess.

I tried to proove this was untrue but its not. I’ve never driven their directly from the South. Always from further North in Wales. So I’ve learnt something useful

patriotpro
    Free Member

grum – Member

More like an hour further 😯

grum
    Free Member

More like an hour further

Not according to google maps.

grum
    Free Member

Um no, I meant its 20 mins further from Wrexham which is where the OP said he was staying. I find google usually pretty accurate, unless you end up on really daft little roads.

ampthill

What confused me was that its ages from Penmacno to CYB. But its really not that much further from Wrexham

patriotpro
    Free Member

How do little roads make any difference if it’s where Google has sent you?

Traffic is the only thing Google can’t account for.

Links pls ‘grum’…i’m intrigued.

Um in fact no scrap that – https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=LL11+3AA&daddr=LL40+2HY&hl=en&ll=52.942018,-3.540344&spn=0.566886,1.454315&sll=53.108994,-3.174712&sspn=0.564698,1.454315&geocode=FTueKQMdcrTP_ykRki9qY8l6SDHkz9eXWwL2yQ%3BFQ4jJgMd1GDE_ynB-OmsanBlSDGWv2z5nNdkBQ&t=h&mra=ls&z=10

sonofapitch
    Free Member

So it looks like Penmachno if dry (both loops) or CYB if wet.
    What trail at CYB has the most flow/pump (like the Wal at Afan) not to bothered about massive berms and tables.
    Good for 15/20 miles

GregMay
    Free Member

Penmachno for me over Marin, great trail for a day out – must do both loops though!

Marin is great for a longer day when extended or ridden back to back.

jswan
    Free Member

Dragons back is about 30km and a red route

patriotpro
    Free Member

CyB is not my fave trail but if I had to recomend what to ride I would say Dragon’s Back or MBR, back for some snap and drink then go out again and do the smaller ‘Cyflym Coch’ and the one symobolised with the bite out of the apple (sorry not sure of the name) once, twice, etc.

The Minotaur is worth a squirt too.

unklehomered
    Free Member

‘Machno, totally different to Llandegla, which personally I can’t stand.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘One day in north Wales’ is closed to new replies.