Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • on one, whch one?
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

scandal or inbred frame?

i do like my old rocky mountain steel frame, but want a disc brake on the back( have pace rigid and hope up front). its also time for something new, different angles etc. but want something that wont be too harsh on the wrists and body.

cant spend too much, as i need to learn to drive (i am 42!)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I can recommend the Scandal if you are after something with shorter travel and light. I also have a 456 Inbred which I love but its heavier with a longer fork. The Scandal isn't too harsh for an alu frame. Hope that helps, whatever you get they are all good.

ratadog

When I was umming and ahing about whether to get a Scandal 29er frame or wait for Brant to get round to ordering the steel ones, the general consensus, Brant included, was that the Scandals were no harcher than the steel. Impatience won, and I don't find it any harsher than the 456.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've got an inbred, I was surprised by how light it is for a steel frame and I really like it, the longer geometry makes it that little bit faster for me!

stumpytrek
    Free Member

I've owned a Rocky Mountain Blizzard before most On One models.

I'd say the standard inbred rides the most like the Blizzard. The Scandal always felt racier. That was with either 80 or 100mm forks on it.

I am about to put my 18" Scandal on eBay btw!

miketually
    Free Member

Scandal if you're a bit gay
    456 if you're a bit fat

Northwind

I don't really understand why anyone buys a standard Inbred since the Scandal was made, it's not a harsh frame at all, in fact I reckon you could do a pepsi taste challenge and most people would have trouble guessing which is steel and which is alloy. It's more expensive though but other that that, does the exact same job in the same way and is lighter.

(no slot dropouts available now I think)

ddmonkey

For £137 you can't go wrong with the standard inbred – my 18" frame in Barry White looks fab!

thomthumb
    Free Member

scandal is definatley stiffer than the inbred – particually round the BB chainstays.

not sure how much harsher it is.

whichever you get i'm sure you'll be pleased. i loved my inbred, replaced with a scandal 29er love that too. just got a 456 too.

JoeBones
    Free Member

I am over the moon with my 16" Barry White!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Scandal is dearer, Inbred is heavier. Whichever matters more.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

many thanks,
    i do like the anodised surface on the scandal. i am rather heavier than when i had the rocky 15 years ago also.

i am riding on pace carbon forks, so it will add up to a very light, strong build.

any thoughts on the geometry, thats what will clinch it.

on one are doing what we all want, cheapish, interchangable, responsive to UK conditions, fun, bikes for the rest of us, whats the point of a cannondale in the mud, rain, snow, sleet…….and dark.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

I think scandal and inbred geometry are actually the same. The 456 has slacker angles and the 456 Summer Season has very slack angles.

karnali
    Free Member

had a 100mm inbred a few years back really comfy to ride bit flex round bb, changed it for a scandal (ebay) reallylight, comfy stiff around bb area, although rear drop outs were maligned slightlyso a bit of a pain. tried a 456 heavy not as nice ot ride for me as eier the inbred or scandal. tried full sus, now back on a scandal lovely light bike. Used a cotic soul few times about .7-1lb heavier than t scandal but a really ace frame to ride, climbed well and was ace on the downs. I'd go scandal or soul if you can get a decent price on a second hand one. I'm still half looking or saving fro the latest soul til then more than happy ona scandal. not much difference in comfort,tyre size and pressure will make more difference.

Northwind

"any thoughts on the geometry, thats what will clinch it."

Fraid not, Scandal and Inbred are exactly the same!

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

'although rear drop outs were maligned slightlyso a bit of a pain. '

whats the deal with the build quality?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘on one, whch one?’ is closed to new replies.