Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • on one scandal questions
  • bigyim
    Free Member

I have ordered a scandal 26er frame direct from on one, is the seat clamp a different size to the front derail as it says on the website.
    Seatpost Size (mm) 27.2
    Seat Clamp Size (mm) 31.8
    Front Mech Clamp Size (mm) 34.9

It also says that the bb is 68mm english thread, is this a standard bb or a new super rare sort?
    oh yeah and are these frames any good!!!?

pinches
    Free Member

Yes seat clamp is 31.8 but mech clamp is 34.9, the seat tube is tapered.

The bb is a standard English bb. Just needs normal threaded cups (assumin your fitting something with external bearings ht2 etc)

I’ve been riding mine since 2007. It’s light and fast considering the price!

pixelmix
    Free Member

I had a Scandal for a bit, and those measurements all sound right to me. The downtube narrows after it passes the top tube, so the seatclamp is smaller than the front mech clamp size. You will want a front mech that supports top pull too as the cable comes along the top tube.

68mm english is a standard MTB thread. Hollowtech II etc will fit fine. I was happy enough with my Scandal. Light and cheap.

bigyim
    Free Member

thanks guys, they have the scandal 26er vertical drop for £135 so it would be rude not to. Any one got any pictures of their builds to give me some colour ideas, some of the all black frames can look a bit boring imo so I might bling it up

stayhigh

Morning.

I have a Scandal which is a lovely light, fast ride and I’m very happy with it. The seatpost is 31.8 and the front mech is 34.9 so order those sizes and you’ll be fine. The BB is a normal type bb i.e. HT2 etc you just need to use the spacers that come with it. I have 2 on the drive side and one on the non drive side which does just fine when I run it with gears. When using it as a single speed I only have one on the drive side as it helps the chain alignment.

Its a bargain price at the moment too 😉

EDIT: slow typing fingers lol

FOG

Excellent bike – I sold mine in a moment of financial embarassment and have regretted it ever since

pixelmix
    Free Member

Any one got any pictures of their builds to give me some colour ideas

I built mine up with white brakes, saddle, seatpost clamp and forks, and was pretty happy with it.

_MG_8088 by pixelmix, on Flickr

I’m currently resisting picking up a frame to stick in the cupboard. I got rid of mine as I wanted a full-sus again for my main bike, and don’t have room or funds to keep a light hardtail too. I think a build with red blue or green highlights would look good too (Hope bits etc?)

tazzymtb

only had big wheel versions of the scandal and still have a slot droppy ss 29er. Fantastic bike and someone who had a go on it today rates it better than his litespeed obed 29er for handling so they are great bikes regardless of the “tesco value” stigma that gets thrown at on-one now n then.

you’ll love it

Hornet600
    Free Member

I had one for 2 years and couldn’t fault it. I found it more comfortable to ride than the Inbred it replaced.
    The measurements on the website are spot on from memory.
    You won’t regret it and as others have said, for the money……

Northwind

Huge bargains those… I miss mine, it wasn’t the right bike for me really (I wanted a 130mm trail bike and though it’s strong enough, it rides exactly like a 100mm racy frame with a 130mm fork wedged into it) but I’m so tempted to grab one of these to replace the frame in my rigid.

Tom83

I was going to buy a 20″ scandal today, but they have put the price back up. Gits!

karnali
    Free Member

had 2of these in the past, sold the last one ot buy a soul, like the soul but needed a bike with rack mounts so went back to an inbred, nearly paid 140 for a 2nd hand scandal a few weeks back pleased i didnt as 135 new was a bargain 😀

pixelmix
    Free Member

20″ was only ever £234 I think. I presume they are just clearing excess stock of the 16″ and 18″ models.

Tom83

20″ was only ever £234 I think. I presume they are just clearing excess stock of the 16″ and 18″ models.

It was reduced the other day, was tempted then, but was waiting until i got paid.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Have you checked out the sizing? Long top tube means you can often get away with a smaller frame size.

Tom83

Would be nice, but I’m 6ft4 🙁

bigyim
    Free Member

Pixel mix mine should look similar to that with white forks and a White charge spoon saddle. Don’t know the colour scheme to go for, would like a bright green but I think it might look a bit ‘pimp’ and I think finding green bits maybe a problem.
    I ordered a 20″ in the end as I’m 6’2 and have a long inside leg. Had a summer season 456 for a while but couldn’t get on with the head angle

scott-b
    Free Member

Has anyone collected from on one? When they were at Doncaster there was an option to collect from the warehouse and save on postage. It says they still do it but cant find the option. Can anyone assist?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Big yim – can’t go wrong with black/white. Bright green hubs etc would probably be subtle enough.

Tom83 – here’s you’re alternative I just spotted on the On-One ebay site (far too big for me!) – pre-production 20″ whippet

bigyim
    Free Member

Might be a newby question but Do I need a top pull bottom swing? I’m Gettin cconfused with the top an bottom pulling and swinging. It’s nearly built but I’ve just ruined my front derail forcing it to fit!!

pixelmix
    Free Member

Top pull, bottom swing will definitely work (that is what I used), but I think you should be able to get top pull, top swing to work also (will just need to mount it at a different height).

tk46hal
    Free Member

Scott B,

Yes you can collect from their new spot and take cash! I do and I normally get a bit more off, but I am a cheeky sod!

bigyim
    Free Member

All built up now guys. Thanks for your help. Rides nice, feels very stiff at the back.

Tom83

Pics!

pinches
    Free Member

I’ve just partially rebuilt mine with new brakes (magura Marta mag SL) and a set of the pro3/crest xc3sp hope hoops

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘on one scandal questions’ is closed to new replies.