Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • On-One. Inbred ( recently purchased ) or Scandel ( may upgrade ) any advice plz
  • Lemon
    Free Member

Hi

I have recently purchased an On One Slot Dropout Inbred.

I have not ridden singlespeed much but have really enjoyed riding this bike. So much so I was thinking of upgrading to the Scandal frame.

My question is am I best sticking with the standard Inbred or would the Scandal feel much stiffer at the rear? I like the compliant back end of the Inbred.

Is the Scandel going to be more delicate?

Anyone have any comparisons between the two.

Any advice appreciated

Lee
    lee@dunlinhouse.freeserve.co.uk

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m not sure the scandal is ‘an upgrade’ over the inbred.

the scandal will be stiffer at the back – not as much as most ali frames but quite noticable to the inbred.

only save a kilo over the inbred- be better off buing new wheels imo.

Straightliner

I’ve done exactly what you are suggesting, and essentially you get a lighter bike but it’s stiffer and that slight give provided by the steel frame doesn’t appear to be there. However, the design of the bike means you certainly don’t take a pounding like on some alloy frames.

I personally prefer the look of the larger diamter tubing on the Scandal, but I have to say the steel one is probably the nice ride, even if it is a bit heavier.

nickc

Scandal’s a race frame, so it’s lighter and stiffer than the Inbred, also the top tube’s not butted so it doesn’t have the compliant “back end” that the Inbred has. Depends what you want from your “upgrade”. If you’re looking to go faster on a frame not a million miles away from the geometry of the regular Inbred, then the Scandals the bike for you, if you want a nice all day bike, then I’d stick with the Inbred. Is it more delicate? well, Scandium was developed for Russian sub-launched ICBMs, so it’s not that delicate, I think it got that rep in MTB circles as some 90s race bikes were built out of very thin walled tubes that were good for a season and no more, Scandal’s a bit more substantial than that.

brant
    Free Member

boobs

Where are you? I have both and find the Scandal to be fab. More than willing to let you test ride it. I’m near Reading.

Hornet600
    Free Member

I have gone from an Inbred to a Scandal and wouldn’t go back unless I was going to build a 130mm travel 456.
    For std XC / light trail riding with 100mm forks the Scandal is perfect. I am running mine with Reba Team forks and it is quick, comfortable and suprisingly good on rough terrain.

Lemon
    Free Member

:-)Thanks everyone for all your help and comments.

Boobs I am near Chester so bit far for a test ride, but thanks anyway.

If I am to buy the Scandel frame I was going to pop the new American Classic SS Wheels I received today (which look lovely and are tons lighter than my current wheels) on it and a set of Reba SL 100’s I think. Or Rock Shox Reba World Cup, from On One as they are £249 but only have 190mm steerer, so cutting it a bit fine maybe?

Hornet600
    Free Member

My reba teams are 185mm in 18″ frame and have 15mm of spacers in total, playing around with stem position at moment but will probably cut another 5mm off, giving 180mm steerer tube.

CountZero

Can’t see the point unless you’re going to race.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘On-One. Inbred ( recently purchased ) or Scandel ( may upgrade ) any advice plz’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM