Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • On One 456 SS availability…..redesign imminent?
  • deviant
    Free Member

There seems to be a paucity of 456’s and Summer Seasons on the On-One site, is stock low or are they intentionally running down stock ready for a new model? I can’t believe Brant has returned to the fold and will just leave things be, any rumours from the man himself?

flashes
    Free Member

I’d like to buy a 29er SS frame, in time for Winter. Can I buy one can I flip…
    Mins saying that, I can’t even find a second hand one, so at least they’re not flooding the market………..

p7rich
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago i enquired after an On One Whippet frame. They told me they were expecting “a large shipment of frames” late November but no idea whether this applied to whole range or not. It’s worth keeping an eye on the site as just 2 (in the size i wanted) since popped up and one of them is now in my living room.

MuddyDave
    Free Member

Click on the NEWS section, there is a list of stock coming in. Can’t recall if there were any small wheeled frames though ;oP

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So no changes then, apart from the scandal getting swapouts.

brant
    Free Member

There will be changes, but changes take time.
    We will have a white inbred singlespeed again though!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Brant, can you tell me whether we’ll see the 26″ Scandal with swap-outs or is just the 29″ getting them?

brant
    Free Member

Brant, can you tell me whether we’ll see the 26″ Scandal with swap-outs or is just the 29″ getting them?

Next Scandal 26 is vertical only. I wanted to keep it as our nice light frame.

Swapouts are going from the steel frames, replaced by vertical only, and slot dropout only frames (ie: two frames, rather than one with bolt on bits). Saves a lot of cash.

Swapouts will stay on Ti (some) and carbon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Saves a lot of cash.

Unless you want one frame for the whole year?

Think I’m getting a scandal 29er anyway so doesn’t worry me.

brant
    Free Member

I am not convinced that the majority of frame purchasers actually swap their swapouts.
    And in any case, the slot dropout frame will let you run gears or SS anyway!

calumlorimer
    Free Member

Does this include 456’s aswell? and is this true for the frames due in or is it a future change?

TrentSteel
    Free Member

I want a Slot Drop 26″ Scandal, I need On One to make them again!!!!!!!!!!!

And not a pink one mind, IMO can’t see why all on one frames cannot be slot drops, as running gears on one is no hassle at all. Only reason I can think of is worries over customer perceptions that it may take 3 seconds longer to remove the back wheel compared with vertical dropouts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How much are the Scandal 29ers going to be? Any pre-order deals? I’ve a horrible feeling I’ll buy one in the first week at full price then find they drop to £150 or something stupid after the first few days like most on-one stuff 🙁

And in any case, the slot dropout frame will let you run gears or SS anyway!

I’d rather run a tensioner on a vertical frame, is that just me?

Any plans to get in some more LS tops?

pypdjl
    Free Member

Only reason I can think of is worries over customer perceptions that it may take 3 seconds longer to remove the back wheel compared with vertical dropouts.

Hmm, it’s not just a matter of perception, if you are only ever running with gears the slot dropouts are extra hassle for zero benefit.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Just thinking, one set of frames with no swapouts, cheaper to make, easier to stock, and can sell at a lower price. I may be biased as I don’t run gears, but I don’t think you’d lose too many customers due soley to the shape of the dropouts, especially at the pricepoint On Ones used to be at.

Anyway I’m still waiting for Brant to come back and tell me he’s changed his mind now and will make a slot drop Scandal 26er after all ❓

trailmonkey

can anyone tell me why the carbon 456 is called a 456 when it looks nothing like one ?

the darth vader would have been a more betterer name. it looks just like him.

brant
    Free Member

How much are the Scandal 29ers going to be?

£299

Any pre-order deals?

Discount on bundled kit probably

Does this include 456’s aswell? and is this true for the frames due in or is it a future change?

456’s are vertical only as they are a long travel hard tail and I think SS’ing them is a bit dumb. Might do a limited run (see further down).

Hmm, it’s not just a matter of perception, if you are only ever running with gears the slot dropouts are extra hassle for zero benefit.

I agree. Which is why you will be able to buy 29in and 26in Inbred (steel) frames in:-
    Vertical dropout geared
    Slot Dropout geared/SS
    Slot Dropout SS only no bosses SS Nazi version, in white.

Any plans to get in some more LS tops?

Yes, but if you’ve seen my dress sense you’ll be pleased to know I have nothing to do with the clothing side of the business. Though I did co-design some sunglass decals yesterday.

I want a Slot Drop 26″ Scandal, I need On One to make them again!!!!!!!!!!!

I have someone on twitter complaining regularly about a problem with those, so I need to investigate. Apparently a freewheel on some hubs can bind on the chain stay? I think I’d complain if that happened to me too!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pricepoint On Ones used to be at.

Anyone remember back in the day (2004) when they did complete bikes for £200?

Inbred SS frame, rigid forks, reet’ard/deore wheelset, and a choice of either deore groupset or SS groupset?

Just thinking, one set of frames with no swapouts, cheaper to make, easier to stock, and can sell at a lower price.

True, although you could argue that with swapouts they only need 1 frame and then order in a load of dropouts. But I guess the tooling is virtualy identical between the vertical/horisontal versions so the cost is negligable. Why do swapouts cost more, is it a patent think?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£299

*makes dive bombing whistling noise*

Think I’ll wait for some kind of bundle, frame, fork, stem, bar, seatpost and 2 sets of dropouts please!

brant
    Free Member

can anyone tell me why the carbon 456 is called a 456 when it looks nothing like one ?

because it uses 456 “geometry”.

brant
    Free Member

Anyone remember back in the day (2004) when they did complete bikes for £200?

No.

They seem to say £699 to me, but perhaps I am reading it wrong.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040730095638/http://www.on-one.co.uk/

TrentSteel
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon, wasn’t really the point I was making. I was arguing that I’d prefer slot drop only frames, no vert or swapouts as slots are a “do it all” option. But since no one else seems to agree I’m probably too biased on this one.

trailmonkey

because it uses 456 “geometry”.

was that enough of a reason ?

i mean couldn’t it be a 654 ?

seemed a bit daft to me, what with it looking totally different.

brant
    Free Member

I am a bit odd in that I’m definitely more a dimensional rather than visual designer, but yes, I see what you mean.

If, hypothetically, I was going to do a new carbon frame, I might make it have more rounder tubes. Hypothetically of course.

thomthumb
    Free Member

slot dropouts ftw.

If you go out geared and break something it makes it dead easy to SS to get home. this is a massive bonus for me.

Saccades
    Free Member

I dunno made sense to me calling the c456 as it is – same as different versions of cars – sedan, cabriolet, hatchback. They are all still called the 307, Focus, Golf etc but the variations are named too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, I definately remember* there bing some dirt cheep complete bikes in my first year at uni.

*I also remember doing some stupid stuff and not saying yes to other stupid stuff so my memeory of that time might not be the most reliable!

RDL-82
    Free Member

I’m not so much bothered about the swap-outs for the ability to change between ss and gears, rather I just want a nice lightweight SS only frame and see the swap-outs as a way of achieving that on the Scandal.

In my personal opinion i think tensioners and slots with a gear hanger thats not being used look rubbish, therefore id rather not have them if possible.

Anyone know of a nice lightweight alloy SS only frame?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spesh do a SS 29er stumpjumper, ditto cannondale.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Seen them, I want a 26″ frame only. Plenty of nice steel frames (I’ve got one) however I want a nice light alloy to try out

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Older cannondale bad boy? Other than that I can only think or jump frames or Nicolai might build you one.

Whyte 19 has those pivoting dropouts?

wwaswas

Endorfin do them.

jasondrake
    Free Member

I’d also love a slot 26″ scandal – my dream frame.

bullheart
    Free Member

The Whyte 19 drop-out system is the best I’ve either used or seen, by far.

I think the sliding dropouts are a game-changer for me. I’m not sure I’d buy a bike with vertical drop-outs again.

flashes
    Free Member

I love slot drop outs. But winter is coming, need bike, so bought another Surly……..

compositepro
    Free Member

I am a bit odd in that I’m definitely more a dimensional rather than visual designer, but yes, I see what you mean.

[/quote]If, hypothetically, I was going to do a new carbon frame, I might make it have more rounder tubes. Hypothetically of course.

Is this because hypothetically tube to tube is easier

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘On One 456 SS availability…..redesign imminent?’ is closed to new replies.