Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • OMM rucksacks
  • blablablacksheep
    Free Member

Looking to get a new rucksack to carry things to work in as well as for my up coming 100k run/jog/crawl i have planned. 😯

I was going to go for the OMM adventure light 20L, but i noticed they do a OMM Ultra 15L sack…..

Wondering if anyone has these rucksacks and if so their views on them?

Can get the ultra for £40 and the 20L for £49….

druidh
    Free Member

Not that particular rucksack but I still have and use an old 25 litre Kimmsac from “back in the day” when Mike Parsons was working for Karrimor. They’ve been updated over the years but there’s no doubting the quality of them. For all they are aimed at the lightweight/AR market, mine has been dragged around the Scottish Highlands for years, including several trips scrambling up, over and through the Cuillin and it still looks great. I’d not hesitate to buy another when (or should that be if) mine eventually gives up the ghost.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Are the OMM packs waterproof?

druidh
    Free Member

No. TBH – I wouldn’t trust any rucksack to be waterproof.

stever
    Free Member

I’ve got the 15l OMM – it’s nice and stable for running. I wouldn’t get any bigger for a day run, you’ll only fill it up with junk. Bearing in mind the Mountain Marathoners use the 25L for a weekend’s stuff.

For commuting, I guess it depends what you need to carry. I used to leave shoes and stuff at work. Can’t really comment on longevity – mine hasn’t had *that* much use. I use a bumbag in the hills when I can. But, yes, it’s a good sac.

tragically1969
    Free Member

I use the 25L for mountain marathons, excellent packs, really comfortable, light and well thought out.

Although sating that i am seing more and more of the Innov8 ones at events which look good too.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

No it isnt waterproof but it is resistant very much like Gore jackets are, and given the reviews of the OMM brand in general they are a quality brand.

Just needed to get some first hand thoughts on which size though to go for, as stever has said 25L is for weekend warriers so trying to work out if 15L or 20L will be best.

Will the 15L have enough room for gear ie first aid kit, base layors,lunch ect for my little 100k event? if it can handle that then it will be fine for commute given i leave shoes at work, ehough be nice to have enough room to hold shoes .

stever
    Free Member

Will the 15L have enough room for gear ie first aid kit, base layors,lunch ect for my little 100k event?

Yes. I’m doing a 50k thing in May and will be looking for things to leave out of my bumbag 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

In a 25L i can get:

Tent
    2 days food
    First aid (mimimal)
    Waterproofs
    Pair of running longs
    Down vest
    Spare socks
    Headtorch
    Sleeping Mat
    Warm layer
    Hat and Gloves

It depends on the kit list for the 100k and where it is and what time of year it is but based on the above i dont think you would need bigger than a 15L

seanoc
    Free Member

I imagine 15ltr would be ample for a supported events. I imagine your going to do some heavy training in the hills; in which case you’d probably want to be self sufficient at which point the 20ltr comes in – waterproofs, leggings, baselayer, emergency kit, water, food, more water.

If you only have 1 bag why not go for the 20ltr – that way you can do your self sufficient training days/weekends and just use the compression straps to pull in the excess for the event.

The OMM kit is very highly regarded, as is Terra Nova and Inov8. I use a Salamon XA20 which I can’t fault.

Make sure you have good pockets on the waist strap – you’ll need them for fuel.

portlyone

I can only speak for the quality of the brand since I only have the 10L. Used it for biking every weekend for the last four years, pretty bomb-proof despite it light weight design.

atlaz
    Free Member

Every time I trusted a rucksack to be fully waterproof it got my clothes/sandwiches/whatever wet. drybag inside is the only way

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve got the classic 32l which was ample for the OMM with a little room to spare. The 25 would be fine.

I wouldnt agonise over the size too much as they weigh about the same as a cigarette packet so the difference between the 20 and 25 is probably not niticable and they have compression straps etc to pull any spare bag in.

Pyro

Will the 15L have enough room for gear ie first aid kit, base layors,lunch ect for my little 100k event?

Depends which event!

I’d separate the two bits of your original post out and, personally, get one bag for carting stuff about and training and one for the event itself. I’ve got two Inov8 packs that I use, a Race Pro 22 and a Race Elite 15, which essentially do what you’re talking about. I love them both, very comfy and easy to use. A teammate swears by his OMM 25l, though.

I did the 80km Grand Raid des Pyrenees last year (blog about it here) and I’m going back again this year. Last time round I took the Elite 15 paired with an OMM Trio 4l front pack and two bottle holders. Honestly, it was too much.

If it’s a supported event with regular feed points, you need very little. I dumped a load of excess food that I was carrying at 30km, it was just holding me back. The smaller the pack, the less tempted you are to carry stuff you don’t really need. Put together your mandatory kit, a small amount of food and one or two luxuries – I took my dinky 2gb mp3 player, a compact digital camera and Ted, my mascot – and go to a shop to see what the smallest pack you can get them in is. I’m looking at not more than 12l total this time round, probably a 5-10l backpack with one of the Inov8 2l front packs for the convenience gear, route book, camera etc.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

just want to say thanks for the quality of the posts here guys very helpfull:)

The event is very much supported with stops every 25km so i wont be taking a lot of kit ie tents sleeping bag ect.

Like i said using it as a work/commute bag is the main use it will be used for as my current “Aldi” style bag is showing its quality now…

From the information i think the 15L seems the best bet for me so will try and find a shop that sells them and try it on, rather than blind buying online.

Out of interest though some pictures i have seen of the 15L ultra on different sites seem to show a differant bag..

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/code/62110637

Compared to
    http://www.expeditionhardware.co.uk/OMM%20Ultra%2015%20Rucksack?filter_name=omm%20ultra%2015

Maybe a error in picture but should i check anything to make sure it is the 15L Ultra?

Pyro

Could just be two different years’ model of the same pack, I found that confusing when looking at the Raidlight Endurance pack.

That OMM 15 looks good, I like how they’re pushing how many bottles you can carry, though I will point out 2 shoulder-mounted bottles, if full, don’t half bruise your collarbones after a while. Bladders are a pain to refill at feed stations, though, so finding a pack with decent bottle holders that don’t move and don’t interfere with your arm movement is a must!

GavinB

From what you’ve described, I’m guessing you are doing the Trailwalker, or similar? In which case definitely no more than 15l for training, and no need to carry much more than a simple bladder/hydration pack for the event.

You can completely re-fuel every 25km, stick on another layer if its getting cold, or update your blister treatment etc, without lugging all but the most critical items along with you.

Best of luck with it!

sambob
    Free Member

Got an Inov-8 racepro 12, a Racepro 22 and an OMM 32 in the house, all superb bits of kit. The bladder in Inov-8 bags is superb, goes in the waist strap so keeps weight low and stable, nice pockets too. Surprisingly water resistant, but I’d not trust it in proper rain. Dad used the OMM 32 for the OMM of death in 2008, worked perfectly. Back padding makes a good sleeping mat too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘OMM rucksacks’ is closed to new replies.