• This topic has 46 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Olympic Bonus's
  • Kryton57

This is getting ridiculous now.

Is anyone else doing thier normal job and being paid more just becuase the Olympic’s are in town? Bonuses are for additional work effort to supplement /replace overtime, additional hours, cancellation of leave etc

I fancy an extra £500 as well, can I have it, just becuase?

willard

Jesus! You could have put a warning on that photo!

Bonuses. Yeah, I guess anyone that has no integrity could try and claim extra cash for working their normal job during the olympics. I have some integrity, so I’m not going to try it.

wwaswas

I think the argument is that they won’t be workign their normal jobs but we’ve been through that before…

scaredypants

Seem’s 😉 to me that everyone’s just following the official party line on this – they charge you for standing on box hill and make you pay a hundred quid for a big mac; you expect extra for emptying their bins or driving their trains or whatever

kimbers

olympics is all about money 500 quid bonuses arent much when you think about the 3.6bn the taxpayer has shelled out for this- and still ticket prices are through the roof!

weve been told that we were sent this email, meaning work will probably grind to a halt during the olympics (were central london and a lot of roads being closed off round us)

Dear all

We hope to provide the usual Stores counter service during the Olympic periods to the best of our ability; stock and staffing levels permitting, but it is extremely unlikely that we will get any deliveries to Stores during the period from 27 July to 13 August and there may be problems before and after these dates see http://www.u…

Please could you ensure that all i-proc requisitions and requests for orders are submitted to your relevant ordering point by 16.00h on MONDAY 16 JULY for delivery before the Olympic period. The Finance Team will not be raising orders after this time unless by special arrangement and specifically for equipment or other items with delivery lead times between 16 and 24 August. We may re-commence ordering on Monday 13 August but, as we’re not quite sure how much the Paralympics (due to start on 29 August) will impact on deliveries, please be prepared to wait until 9 September for normal a normal purchasing/delivery service to resume.

Kryton57

I too shall be working from home instead of using the Tubes / Buses in anticipation of the travel meltdown over the olympic period, so there bonuses will be lost on me.

Mind you, in a very odd bit of successful planning, our company has decided to perform an office refurb while everyone is wfh. Blimey.

I want to hear from a bus driver an have him/her describe what they believe justifies the £500 bonus.

kimbers

to be fair given that the transport systems will be dangerously over capacity i dont actually think the bonuses are unreasonable

im fortunate enough to cycle to work but when i have had to use the tube its invariably unpleasant at rush hour and victoria for example is dangerously overcrowded already

instead of sticking sams on rooftops they should have finished crossrail as transport overcrowding is far more likely to cause injury than terrorism imho

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you think the Olympics time will be like a normal working period for the drivers or will it be harder, busier, more stressful?
    Are they allowed there normal holidays during this period?
    Will they have to do mandatory overtime?

Everyone knows what the argument is and you can decide whether you think it is reasonable or not.

scaredypants

Everyone knows what the argument is and you can decide whether you think it is reasonable or not

… and then argualympianise incessantly with those who differ, of course

Kryton57

kimbers – Member
    to be fair given that the transport systems will be dangerously over capacity i dont actually think the bonuses are unreasonable

im fortunate enough to cycle to work but when i have had to use the tube its invariably unpleasant at rush hour and victoria for example is dangerously overcrowded already

I think you talking about the effect on you. What about the people being paid – ie how is a bus drivers £500 bonus justified?

a) Work is more stressful (in which case why can’t I have a bonus when I get stressed at work, which btw is a variable measure dependant on the individual)

b) Work is measureable more dangerous (perhaps justified)but please describe how. Btw it becomes more dangerous for me to sit in an office whilst the terror dial is turned up high, but I don’t get paid more.

c) They have to work more / harder (perhaps justified) but please describe how this is mitigated by the bonus – most of these employees have contracted overtime AFAIK.

The point is why get npaid more for doing your normal job?

Junkyard
    Free Member

So your argument is the Olympics and the additional people on the transport system is their “normal Job”…I dont think you will like the answers if anyone can be bothered

I know I cant

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s OK, the London council tax payers can afford it 🙂

Perhaps make it a nice round £1K ?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

So if doing their normal job but just with a few additional people isn’t deserving of a bonus then why are 7 TFL directors getting £80,000 olympic bonuses for just doing their normal job but with a few additional people?

kimbers

the directors should get 500 quid just like the staff

and to be fair estimates from 1/4- 1.2million extra visitors

Kryton57

Junkyard – Member
    So your argument is the Olympics and the additional people on the transport system is their “normal Job”…I dont think you will like the answers if anyone can be bothered

Pity. A bus/tube/crowded platform full of people is a bus/tube/platform full of people isn’t it? So becuase there’s some atheletes and extra people in town, how has that changed?

Whether I’d like the answer or not, educate me.

Kryton57

pleaderwilliams – Member
    So if doing their normal job but just with a few additional people isn’t deserving of a bonus then why are 7 TFL directors getting £80,000 olympic bonuses for just doing their normal job but with a few additional people?

Good point.

wrecker
    Free Member

They should take it as unbloodylucky or go find a new job. Plenty waiting to replace these whinging idiots.
    Rather than complaining that they’ll have to work harder, they should be grateful they don’t have to work that hard all of the time.

They shouldn’t (unless it’s in their contract)

binners

YOU WHAT?!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

*WHACK*

MSP

Why not just cut everyone’s wage to the legal minimum, if anyone doesn’t like it, well tough luck because there are plenty of others who will do the job.

How do you fancy minimum wage wrecker & kryton57? would that fit in as nicely with your lifestyle as it does with your employment philosophy?

scaredypants

How do you fancy minimum wage wrecker kryton57? would that fit in as nicely with your lifestyle as it does with your employment philosophy?

shhhhhhh ! Don’t embarrass us all, MSP – I’ve a feeling that some of these guys are probably bona fide business core 😯

Kryton57

Your going down a tangent MSP. That has nothing to do with it. Minimum wage or 100k a year, I think most people would agree that people should earn a bonus rather than have it handed it to them on a plate becuase of some whinging / the ability to potentially hold a government to ransom by striking. I’ve no objection to these people recieving the bonus if they’ve earned it, but so far in this thread no one has demonstrated the criteria, based so far on “it being an olympic period” is measurable in justifying their bonus.

Edit: You don’t live in this country do you? So your taxes / rail fare etc presumambly won’t rise due to cause and effect of the Olympics eh? If they did where you are – would you accept a rise in your commuting expenses to pay these poeple?

wrecker
    Free Member

shhhhhhh ! Don’t embarrass us all, MSP

I don’t think he needs to.

Lifer
    Free Member

So your taxes / rail fare etc presumambly won’t rise due to cause and effect of the Olympics eh?

How much are they going up by?

Kryton57

Lifer – Member

So your taxes / rail fare etc presumambly won’t rise due to cause and effect of the Olympics eh?

How much are they going up by?

I see where you are going with this,I don’t know, but we all know Tfl’s money doesn’t magic itself into their coffers so lets not be niaive.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m getting non-cash bonus over the Olympic period.
    I get to work from home!

MSP

Who’s going off at a tangent, its not my argument, I am just applying it to you. Of course you can justify your own pay and conditions, I bet you even deserve more in your own mind, its just everyone else who’s lazy and undeserving.

chrismac

I don’t have a problem with them getting bonuses.

If directors are veering them, Coe and his team are making money out of the games. Sponsors are only supporting it to make money so why should bus drivers or anyone else get on the bandwagon of making money out of the Olympics

Kryton57

Blimey. I didnt say that MSP those are your assumptions.

loum
    Free Member

They could all just take their annual holidays at the normal time, you know- July & August when their kids are off too.
    Maybe watch some sports while the’re at it, and let the transport companies pay through the nose for cover staff through the agencies, with extra training costs and guaranteed fekc ups.
    Or is there a more sensible option with benefits for both sides?

Junkyard
    Free Member

A bus/tube/crowded platform full of people is a bus/tube/platform full of people isn’t it? So becuase there’s some atheletes and extra people in town, how has that changed?

You want me to explain to you why the Olympics will be busier on the transport system.Would you need me to explain how to wipe your arse after that and then the difference between your bum and your elbow?

Find someone else to argue with you know the answers to all your questions you just dont like them

Kryton57

Junkyard – Member

A bus/tube/crowded platform full of people is a bus/tube/platform full of people isn’t it? So becuase there’s some atheletes and extra people in town, how has that changed?

You want me to explain to you why the Olympics will be busier on the transport system.Would you need me to explain how to wipe your arse after that and then the difference between your bum and your elbow?

Find someone else to argue with you know the answers to all your questions you just dont like them

No, I want you to explain to me how one busy day on a bus is different from another, and if that day is classfied an “Olympic day”, how does that warrant getting paid extra?

Its a simple question, which I don’t know the answer to, and perhaps neither do you.

ads678

Surely a bus could be full anytime of day, you can’t get more people on a bus when it’s full so i don’t see how driving a full bus all day is any different to driving a potentially full bus all day.

I live in Leeds though, so my trains to work won’t be affected.

Blady Landan Olympics, sick ov eerin abaar’tit………

wrecker
    Free Member

Of course you can justify your own pay and conditions, I bet you even deserve more in your own mind, its just everyone else who’s lazy and undeserving.

Not really a valid argument IMHO.
    Boss; employee X, we have bury period coming up, just wanted to warn you off.
    employee X; Can I have £500?
    Boss; Why?
    employee X; Give me £500 or I’m not doing it. Give me £500.
    boss; I don’t pay you less when we’re quiet, do I?
    employee X; GIVE ME £500!

zimbo
    Free Member

Outside of any argument about additional workload, the transport authority will be taking a huge wedge from all the additional fare income, so why not distribute some of that amongst the poor buggers who are at the sharp end? Any decent employer would do that.

allthepies
    Free Member

Like the banks do ? 😉

MSP

Not really a valid argument IMHO.

You seemed to think it was earlier in the thread, but then you were applying your logic against those you look down on rather than yourself.

zimbo
    Free Member

Like the banks do ?

Decent!!

wrecker
    Free Member

You seemed to think it was earlier in the thread, but then you were applying your logic against those you look down on rather than yourself.

No I didn’t. And I’m not looking down on anyone, that’s your own assumption.

binners

Its fairly simple. Everyone in the business (TfL) is going to be working a bit harder, or claim they are. How much harder? Who knows?

The directors, who are no doubt already very handsomely rewarded, have put a financial price on this (as yet unknown) extra effort on their behalf. And that figure is quite substantial. 80 grand apiece.

Now if you were an employee of TfL – one who’d been offered the bonus of absolutely eff all – then what would you be thinking?

Under those circumstances, I think a demand of £500 is quite restrained

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Olympic Bonus's’ is closed to new replies.