Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Older model 26" frames in 120-140ish flavour?
  • cookeaa

Holidays are dangerous, my brain wanders.

I’ve started toying with the idea of chopping my old DH frame, fork and other bits in and using the proceeds to shop for something a bit more “all-rounder-ish” in 26″ flavour (due to the shed full of wheels I already own).

Now budget will be tight so I am keeping my sights sensibly low, I figure something mid to late 2000’s that I can pedal about set up 1×10 anything from 120 to 140mm travel that would accept a 140-150mm fork something that will take a 135 wheel and manage the odd uplift day, weight not critical.

I’m thinking common brands/ models to keep the price sensible and the searching minima; trance?, meta?, Kona???

So think back 5-8 years or so and offer some suggestions people?

haggis1978

Turner 5 Spot Horst Link can be had for around £300 easily.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Marin Wolf ridge (I have a frame in the loft, medium, usual scrapes and paint rub marks, just had its bearings replaced under warranty and shock serviced before it was put to bed a two years ago….£150.00)

cookeaa

Turners don’t count as “common” IMO, I hadn’t thought of a marin, Hmmm.

What else is worth a look?

Rosss
    Free Member

That’s got to be a Pitch surely? Can’t see why you’d buy anything else

chakaping
    Free Member

Zesty – Lapierre stuck with QR rear longer than most firms and had stiff stays anyway.

Owned a couple and they’re great bikes to ride and easy to own and maintain.

renton
    Free Member

What’s your budget and how tall are you ?

Xylene
    Free Member

Specialized Enduro 2002 – thread closed

devash
    Free Member

26″ Camber, Giant Trance or Trek Fuel would be my recommendations and the frames usually go for cheap.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi there I have a really nice Horst link turner 5 spot for sale

docrobster
    Free Member

Blur 4x?
    I paid £325 for an 09 with rp23 earlier this year.
    That or a pitch as above?

br
    Free Member

You don’t say how cheap you are looking, but off the classifieds I bought a 2011 carbon framed Cube c/w Fox 32’s, Hope wheelset, R1 brakes and Zee’s for less than a grand.

renton
    Free Member

That’s a Billy bargain br

Rorschach
    Free Member

New Devinci Dixon Med £649? here
    New ’14 Saracen Ariel All sizes 14x £699 here

br
    Free Member

That’s a Billy bargain br

Yep, although there was also a Trek Fuel ex9.9 at the same time for the same money. Either would’ve been ideal for the OP.

The Cube swung it for me as I could beef it up a bit for the Enduro’s I’ve entered this year.

renton
    Free Member

My 5 spot isn’t going to be worth much any more then !!

cookeaa

Pitch would certainly be a strong contender, although I think they held their value a bit and I am leaning more towards a ~5″ travel rather than 6″ frame, but thats not deal breaker.

No budget set as yet, I would need to liquidate some assets first but I doubt I will have much cash to play with maybe £150-250 for a frame, and then I’m going to need a decent, straight steerer fork, unless I pick up a prophet with a nice fat headtube… Hmmm.

But basically I’m thinking older, common frames; anything post 2005 which gives me quite a lot of choice, but lots of opportunity to buy a lemon too.

fieldy
    Free Member

Personally I’d be looking at a Santa Cruz Heckler or an Orange 5. Both single pivot (less bearings to replace) and both quite capable of a day at a downhill park. You should be able to pick a two or three year old frame up reasonably cheap these days.

Pz_Steve

Depending on how little you want to spend, I need to sell either my 2012 Orange 5 (18inch) or my 1998 Rocky Mountain ETSX70 frame (Large – but with the carbon swing arm replaced with ally). Probably be selling in a month’s time or so.

The RM has a ding in the top tube but is otherwise in good nick. The orange is excellent. (Normal cable rubs, etc in both cases).

Will also have either a Marzocchi 55ti fork (150mm, tapered steerer) or a Rockshock Rev (150mm, 1.125 steerer), depending on which frame goes, if that’s any interest?

Let me know if you’re interested in either.

kahunajb
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2012 Kona Tanuki Deluxe 130mm travel with RP23 plus other extras. Tapered head tube, 135 wheel. Looking for £300 email in profile if interested.

rp16v
    Free Member

I went for a older 120mm trance with a 130 fork for how it fits well into my riding
    most of my riding is local manmade jumpy trails with some off peist naughtys and the odd trip/weekend away to cyb

Its a very capable and chuckable frame every now and then I think I need more or something new then I realise I just need to ride it harder to make it shine

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Heckler

nodrog2
    Free Member

Granted it doesn’t quite meet your budget but the Santa Cruz Nickel ticks the boxes. 120mm rear travel but can be run with 200×57 rear shock to give 142mm of travel. Up front is fine with anything between 120-140mm. The app linkage pedals very well. It’s bombproof and the geometry is pretty sweet (very similar to the Blur trc). Frames can be picked up for £3-400. You can even squeeze 27.5 wheels in if you want to although it doesn’t ride as well with 27.5 wheels in.

mcj78
    Free Member

Another vote for an older heckler from me – year and a half ago I bought a mint 2006 model, anodised black flavour with a DHX coil shock for 200 bangers – built up slx/xt 2×9 with Pikes, Hope wheels & brakes it comes out around 32lbs & feels like it will take far more than I could ever throw at it, but not too beefy to pedal all day either, probably could knock a few pounds off it fairly easily

duncancallum

It’s a very similar situation to me I have a 2007 fuel but it’s a bit short for me, if I flog my mini clubman I’d by a newer frame and fork

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d avoid the old Santa Cruz’s like the Heckler; shit geometry. An Orange 5 or a Cannondale Prophet MX if you want a single pivot.

Other bikes that look like they might be fun are the Transition Bandit, Specialized Camber (not sure what the geo is like on them though), Nuke Proof Mega

Jamz
    Free Member

You need a Cannondale prophet. I own one and it does exactly what you just described.

Go for either a 2008 or 2009 (white with red or green decals i believe). Nice and cheap on ebay or pinkbike. 1.5″ head tube so you can run all kinds of forks. Adjustable shock position for different geo. I run mine with an old Pike and I reckon the head angle is around 66.5/67. Single pivot and very reliable. If you’re a bigger guy or you want something tougher get the MX version.

breadcrumb

I may be selling a medium Pitch frame.

cookeaa

So far I’d say a prophet might just be the strongest contender, it fits all my basic needs plus that 1.5″ headtube makes fork choices easier, and they seem to be about at reasonable prices.

Cheers all for the suggestions and input it’ll be a couple of months before I can go shopping for one probably, but I think I have my options better defined now…

P20

Yeti 575?

chestrockwell

Orange 5 would be a good call, especially if you can get a 2009+ within budget as the geometry was spot on. Tough as old boots and simple to maintain so less chance of running in to problems with a well used second hand one.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Trek Remedy is 150mm and rides well. Better than any 5 I’ve ridden… 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Older model 26" frames in 120-140ish flavour?’ is closed to new replies.