Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Old style TVs…not Danny La Rue
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Im having to use our old Panasonic while our LCD is having warranty work done. Thing is Im really liking it. the picture and sound is great. So Ive been looking at other peoples set ups and they seem pants. Is this almost certainly down to the ones Ive looked at being rubbish?
    My little test is to see if I can see the lines between the four screens on the BBCs breakfast news weather map.
    Ive said my son can have the LCD when it comes back.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

I’ve got a 32 inch panasonic quintrix and the picture is ‘kin superb, I can’t find a plasma or lcd under a grand or two that even comes close.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

We have got an old Bang and Olufsen CRT TV which we bought second hand about 10 years ago so it is at least 15 years old the picture is amazing and the sound is so much better than any flat panel tv. It has reached the end of its life and seems to need work at least once a year but while I can get it repaired cheaply I will keep doing so. Also the remote could be used as a weapon if we get intruders.

jon1973
    Free Member

I still haven’t made the switch to the ‘new’ TV’s. I still have a flat screen 32″ Panasonic CRT which I really like.

I’m waiting for the LED TV’s to start coming down in price, and then I’ll upgrade I think.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Panasonic (King of TVs) LED LCD to replace my 5-year CRT (also Panasonic). Very happy with it, very good picture especially on HD of course. Sound is not cinema quality, but I have a separate set up for that. I’m giving the CRT away to a friend as it’s not worth anything, but it’s still got many years of life left in it and I would be happy to still use it if my personal circumstances hadn’t changed.

bassspine
    Free Member

We have a flat CRT tv, people who are used to lcds come in and are blown away by the crystal sharp quality of the old technology.

GW
    Free Member

I’m more than happy to watch TV/DVDs on my old CRT TVs (32″ Sony and 32″ Panasonic) but playing the PS3 on them kinda hurts my eyes and I can’t even read some text. 😕

downshep

28″ Panasonic Quintrix 100Hz CRT here. Never seen a better SD picture on any flat panel TV. Won’t be upgrading until price / PQ makes it worthwhile.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I will wait till most TV is broadcast in HD and it comes through SKY wither free or cheaper before upgrading.

Bimbler
    Free Member

28″ Loewe Mimo, lovely picture so smooth and colours so natural. It’s obviously blown away by HD but even fairly high end HD stuff just looks so processed – perhaps you get used to it? But it slays flat panels playing SD stuff. Will probably wait to upgrade until HD becomes ubiquitous.

foureyes
    Free Member

yep dreading our crt dying, its loads better than any new telly in colour and subtlety and detail and smoothness and warmth and looks even better when the signal was filmed in HD. imho HD is there to stop non CRT / lcd tellies looking quite so shite.

Spongebob
    Free Member

A decent sized CRT TV takes up a quarter of your living room and needs several burly blokes to move it. The shape of them dictates that they usually have to sit in a corner, so not good if you use surround sound.

If you were to set up the CRT display, you would realize that maintaining focus between the three guns is rarely spot on across the full display and that there is noticeable image distortion at the margins of the tube. So whilst they may appear a bit sharper, they are actually worse overall. These problems are exasurbated as the TV ages.

There are many older and newer cheapo LCD’s that don’t do justice to the technology. The digital processing is the issue in most cases. Pre-Freeview models are dire at analogue to digital conversion and refresh rates are far too slow for the panel. You would understand what i’m on about if you used your TV as a PC monitor and saw what the panel is capable of – better than any CRT by a country mile!

Years ago, my father in-law bought a widescreen Loewe CRT with digital processing. It was analogue terrestrial only input (Freeview hadn’t been invented). The quality of the image was quite dynamic, but motion artefacts were very noticeable, just like a lot of flat panel TV’s – horrible NO THANKS! I couldn’t see the point in putting digital image processing inbetween and anologue tuner and an analogue display, but those people at Loewe clearly thought differently.

In my view Loewe and B & O are premium brands that bring barely any performance advantage, if any. You just pay twice as much for a badge to impress (or not impress) your friends! Shows you have more money than sense.

If you connect an external source to your LCD, you need to use the HDMI interface. If your input device doesn’t support HDMI, you need to use the next best – RGB interface. If you used S-Video, or Composite or the results will be very noticeably worse – not something that would show up on a smoother softer analogue CRT.

Sorry you CRT lovers, but you are out of touch and misinformed. Good luck with getting it right next time!

GW
    Free Member

A decent sized CRT TV takes up a quarter of your living room and needs several burly blokes to move it. The shape of them dictates that they usually have to sit in a corner, so not good if you use surround sound.

funny thing is, a lot of folk still have their LCD TVs in the corner of their room and like that they take up almost the same space as a big CRT.

foureyes
    Free Member

duh i find that insulting, my telly is the best

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I might be short on sense but I am even shorter on Money. B&O television cost £150 10 years ago so about £15 per year so far what an extravaganse!

I agree that the top end LCD / plasma TV’s look pretty special but could never justify close to £1000 when a really nice CRT tele can be picked up either free or for beer tokens since they became so incredible unfashionable.

foureyes
    Free Member

agreed, and you don’t need to be some kind of expert to get a great picture.

off topic a bit – is the One Show deliberately filmed with flat dingy lighting so it looks ok on a badly set up flat screen?

People are blown away by the quality of the picture on my LCD set, so go figure.

I still have a 32″ JVC CRT in the bedroom BTW

U31
    Free Member

There is NO WAY i’m even contemplating buying an LCD/ Plasma until the CRT Sony Wega shuffles off its mortal coil…

GW
    Free Member

oh.. if any CRT lovers want a CRT (panasonic 26″ I think, might be 28) I need rid of one. pick up only obv. – nr Edinburgh

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have a Panasonic Quintirx too. Bought it 5 years ago because at approx £600 no flat screen could touch it within another couple of £1000. On SD I think it still leads the way.

The only thing that’d make me change it is HD.

jon1973
    Free Member

Sorry you CRT lovers, but you are out of touch and misinformed.

I’m not anti-new tech at all, just not got around to buying a new one, and since LED seems to be better than the others I may wait a bit until they drop down in price – I’ really not in that much of a hurry. The CRT does the job well.

Good luck with getting it right next time!

Getting it right? It’s not like I’ve just gone out and bought a CRT TV – It happened to be the established tech that was available when I got it, unless you had about £4k to spare. If spending that much on emerging technolgy is getting it right, then I’m happy I got it wrong – A TV wasn’t worth £4k to me.

Milkie
    Free Member

Toshiba 38″ 100Hz CRT Flatscreen vs Samsung LCD/LED TV

Friend has just bought a Samsung so called LED TV, its only LED backlit.

He came over to watch the footie, when I put blackops on he was astounded that the picture quality was just as good and the colours were better than his new LCD/LED. When looking at text, thats when the CRT tripped up.

I was quite shocked that the LCD wasn’t that much better.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Old style TVs…not Danny La Rue’ is closed to new replies.