Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Old people and the snow
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

Why oh why do they insist on walking down the middle of the road in hard packed icy conditions as opposed to walking on thick white shock absorbing fresh stuff?

Just seems dull

Dicuss

uplink
    Free Member

They didn’t get to be old by listening to the ‘wisdom’ of youngsters

🙂

singletrackmind

Why do they insist on going out in the first place.
    Wobbling round in rubbish clothes ( when did you last see a pensioner wearing a decent jacket / boots / overtroos / hat??) just to buy the Daily Fail.

epicyclo

Experience.

And can’t afford to get a broken hip which is what usually happens if an old person takes a heavy fall. Then they die (sometimes)

tankslapper
    Free Member

Mmmm! Uplink I have to admit at this point that the little Welsh bungalow village we live in is also called ‘the valley of the dead’ so basically the attrition rate thanks to this practice is becoming a bit obscene. 😀

stratobiker
    Free Member

Cut them some slack. They were’nt born old!

roper
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Cm9NnsCpA[/video]

mooman
    Free Member

An old fella at the top of my street was trying to clear his path with a claw cultivator.
    I obviously cleared his path for him once I noticed … then had to do 4 other elderly peoples pathways also … hard to not offer when they come out and tell you what a good job you are doing, and reminding you they too dont own a shovel.
    I may just get that MBE in the new year, for my work for the elderly 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I saw a poor old lady fall on some ice last week. Well I assume she was poor, there was only 86p in her purse.

tankslapper
    Free Member

stratobiker – Member
    Cut them some slack. They were’nt born old!

Nobody said they where. Its just that why would you walk on a slippery road when there’s a ‘soft’ option? Seriously would you do it when your old(er)?

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    I saw a poor old lady fall on some ice last week. Well I assume she was poor, there was only 86p in her purse.

PMSL! 😆

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Just seems dull<

Not half as dull as some saddo taking the p1ss out them on a bike forum.

poly
    Free Member

Nobody said they where. Its just that why would you walk on a slippery road when there’s a ‘soft’ option? Seriously would you do it when your old(er)?

Have you tried walking on both surfaces in the footwear they are using. You might find its not as easy as you think – especially if you have limited hip mobility for lifting feet in and out of “heavy snow”.

Presumably this actually offended you because it slowed down your car journey for a few seconds – in which case did you think to offer them a lift to wherever they were going because they probably weren’t out for fun! (PS I did offer a roughly 65 yr old a lift on a snowy country road 2 weeks ago and she almost ran away – must look like a serial killer).

Inbred456
    Free Member

Probably so when they fall over, you as the car driver will have to stop and help them so you can get past, rather than leaving them to freeze to death on the pavement as you drive past in your lovely warm car!

cinnamon_girl

mooman – well done for being so public-spirited. 🙂

Of course the rest of you miserable lot could always knock on their door to see if they need any shopping, get a newspaper etc.

Presumably you don’t have parents or grandparents hence your lack of tolerance?

Karinofnine

tsk, young people today, what has got into them? eh, what’s that you say? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

when did you last see a pensioner wearing a decent jacket / boots / overtroos / hat??) just to buy the Daily Fail

That hot day we had in the summer

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I must admit i dont get the pre-occupation of people (many old ones) to clear the snow off their drives- to me it just increases the chance of it becoming really icey .

epicyclo

They probably also salt them, so no ice at all.

Woody
    Free Member

One of my neighbours, an ex-farmer in his 70’s seemed to spend most of today chipping ice off his drive. Luckily he managed to get most of it off before it got dark and was able to rinse off the last few remaining bits with his garden hose …………..I kid you not !

project
    Free Member

Woody if he was younger he would have used the jet wash. 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

Heather Bash – Member
    >Just seems dull<

Not half as dull as some saddo taking the p1ss out them on a bike forum.

Oi! Who’s taking the proverbial?

I’ve been trudging around here all day in the snow with the kids on pavements and have witnessed more than a few near misses with old folks stomping along hardened roads. If you haven’t anything useful to add then go away.

CountZero

I must admit to being a little amazed at the hopelessly inappropriate footwear some older folks were wearing out today and struggling to get about as a result. One old dear was wearing something like dance pumps and was barely able to stay upright while her husband stood watching wearing a pair of brown loafers. I also quietly laughed at the parents in the shopping mall who were changing their daughters cold wet socks as a result of their ugg boots getting soaked through. It’s not just the old.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Agreed

Just walk up Snowdon any day of the week!

That said, I’ve taken to wearing socks on the outside of my boots in black ice; it really (strangely) works.

Underhill
    Free Member

Nearly wiped a guy out the other night. He was walking on the (national speed limit) road, dressed all in black at 5pm. Perfectly good footpath & better than that, a grass verge between footpath & road covered in about 3″ of snow.

Wasn’t even the length of 30years old, not sure he’ll make it much further

Kevevs
    Free Member

This is not something I have thought about. but now I’m thinking about it.. old people go slower, cos they’re slower, but also, cos they’re not in a rush to get anywhere, and this gives more grip. They are also more likely to ask a gimp like me for help, so you give ’em an arm… More grip by proxy! I reckon old people are crafty bstards, they take advantage of younger people, because they can.

zokes
    Free Member

If you haven’t anything useful to add then go away.

Like red rag to a bull….

roper
    Free Member

mooman – well done for being so public-spirited.

Of course the rest of you miserable lot could always knock on their door to see if they need any shopping, get a newspaper etc.

Presumably you don’t have parents or grandparents hence your lack of tolerance?

Just for the record, I also posted in support of the elderly.

trout
    Free Member

I cleared our road yesterday morning at 06.00 it is a 1.in 5 hill for about 100 yards and had 4 inches of snow on
    I only cleared one lane and the old bastards watched me out their windows .

then when the missus was about to go to work 2 of them had parked their cars on the nicely cleared and salted track meaning everyone else had to attempt to drive up and down the snow covered side

Woody
    Free Member

Selfish…….old people……….who’d have thought?

I’d have been tempted to do a bit of the other side, just enough to go around their cars, literally 😈

trout
    Free Member

Yes would have done but was too busy piling the snow all around my daughters car 😈 to see the look on her face when she rushed out to go shopping

stumpyjon

Doesn’t just apply to old people, why anyone thinks it’s safer to walk up the middle of an ice covered road on a hill is beyond me. Even if you do have your car under control it still takes a lot longer to stop on ice than it normally would. I’ve rather take my chances on the snow covered pavement than play dodgems with sliding cars.

Edric64
    Free Member

I had people walking in front of me yesterday when it was difficult to control the car.I have seen rabbits with more road sense

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Everybody give way to the important in the great car god!

juiced
    Free Member

same here edric. happened to me.

Edric64
    Free Member

TJ,there were safer pavements to walk on and I was taking my missus to work in the next town

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How do you know the pavements were safer – did you try the pavements – or merely curse to old people who had the temerity to get in your way?? Round my way it was much easier to walk on the roads than the pavements last week.

Everyone make way for teh great cardriver!

Edric64
    Free Member

The pavement was snowy and not turning to a hardpack skating rink like the road and I didn’t mention old people!! and funnily enough I walked on the pavement as well .Maybe if they wore proper footwear walking on the pavement would have been the better option. Wellies and boots for snow! Rather than trainers and slide down the road!!

Woody
    Free Member

Many older people (ladies in particular) class ‘boots’ as the type they wear to church when it’s cold ie. smart dress boots with nice shiney uppers and equally shiny soles. It may well be worth the government supplying ‘proper’ boots to the over 65’s as it could save the NHS a fortune and prevent a lot of needless suffering.

One NHS PCT near me gave £1M to the local council to sand pavements last year in order to reduce falls – I’ve no idea if it was successful but if it was they would have to repeat it year after year. At least boots would last more than a year and be useful on non-sanded areas.

tankslapper
    Free Member

zokes – Member

If you haven’t anything useful to add then go away.

Like red rag to a bull….

You really said that Zokes!!!! 😆

It’s hardly being ageist when you only seek to understand and help older people – since I’m surrounded by them!

TJ – Old folk usually don’t get in my way as I give them a wide berth – obviously you are too used to getting up close and personal…. 🙄

ahwiles
    Free Member

the pavements round here are deadly!

the roads get salted – most pavements don’t.

it’s not just old people walking on the road, it’s everybody.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Old people and the snow’ is closed to new replies.