Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Old laptop – what to do?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

The battery is gone, HDD on its last legs, RAM small. Performance is good enough. To fix those would cost me some 150 quid.
    New laptop is too costly, netbooks are small and still some 250 quid.
    What would you suggest? I like the laptop I have, but….

JulianA
    Free Member

Show it in a bag to someone in the street and then relieve them of £650? You could even give them the laptop rather than a load of potatoes if you were feeling generous.

Alternatively you could use it for many such scams and end up with something really flash for almost no effort at all.

JulianA
    Free Member

On a more serious note, what’s your budget for a replacement?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

How old is the laptop? Pretty old I guess so not worth spending much on it as you’ll probably need to get a new (faster) one soon anyway.

Maybe get something 2nd hand if can’t afford a new one. Or look for someone selling one cheap on the high street but double check you’re getting what you think you’re getting.

vinnyeh

What would you suggest? I like the laptop I have, but….

If they’re the only problems, performance is good enough, but money’s tight, just replace the hdd- you should be able to get one secondhand for buttons, or new for around £40.
    Battery’s not a necessity, nor is more ram.

smokey_jo
    z1ppy

dunno in the same-ish position, computer is annoying slow due to crap amount of ram, but that ram will cost me 1/4 to 1/2 of the price of a new much better pc…. arrggghhh!!

What type of ram do you need? I have some stuff sitting around, probably not what you need but worth checking.

BTW anyone got any DDR PC2-5200 memory (0.5 to 2GB would be nice)

DaRC_L

Assuming your laptop came with Windows then replace the HDD and install Ubuntu, dual boot with Windows.

Ubuntu runs swiftly on less Ram. It does of course depend upon what you use the laptop for. If you’re considering a netbook then it suggests you use it for basic word / spreadsheet processing and the internet.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Replace the battery and install ubuntu. You will probably quickly delete the windows install.

Hairychested
    Free Member

It’s a Dell D600 running Xubuntu at present. The processor is Pentium M 1.3GHz, RAM needs to be PC2700 (1GB for £25 – Kingston).
    I use it to browse the web, read STW, kill time generally.
    The battery when new lasts a few hrs, approx. 4-6, can fit 2 of them.
    HDD is cheap enough, 250GB for £45 is easy, but I’m tempted by the solid drive (SDD?) as I don’t need more than 30GB anyway.
    I have a decent desktop, another hi-power laptop, this one is for killing time only.
    BTW My budget is really tight as I’m still jobless.

molgrips
    Free Member

You could run ubuntu off a USB memory stick, no? Thereby removing the need for a disk or more ram 🙂

vinnyeh

I have a decent desktop, another hi-power laptop, this one is for killing time only.

I’m tempted by the solid drive (SDD?)

😕

Hairychested
    Free Member

You can, but… Xubuntu is lower resource than Ubuntu and it runs ok. I need/want more RAM for entertainment purposes 😉
    Besides, a 32GB stick is as costly as the HDD I reckon.

z1ppy

got a couple of stick of 256MB’s & a 512MB of PC2700, which you can just have if they’ll help. Drop me a line and I’ll get em posted out to you.
    (jobless too, so what goes around)

uplink
    Free Member

Laptops soon become ‘beyond economical repair’

I have a HP Pavillion that’s not more than 3 or 4 years old it needs a new battery & wireless NIC
    £30 or so will have it back to good as new but I still don’t think it’s worth it

Hairychested
    Free Member

z1ppy, thanks, I’ll be emailing you in a second
    uplink, do you need me to take this burden off your shoulders? I can even swap for a P2-powered (not sure of the word power here) Thinkpad 😀

uplink
    Free Member

uplink, do you need me to take this burden off your shoulders? I can even swap for a P2-powered (not sure of the word power here) Thinkpad

I’ll pass I think, it does OK hard wired to a desk for now 🙂

Mounty_73

I have a variety of RAM floating around, not sure if there is any for laptops though…..will check.

midlifecrashes

I had a hard drive fail on me on an older laptop. It was 40GB SATA, but all the newer drives are SATA2. My lappy wouldn’t recognise the new drive, either because of the SATA2ness or it being over 120GB, I’m not sure. It might be worth poking about on Dell forums to check, before you splash cash on it. Oh and I still have the SATA2 250GB drive sat here on my desk if you need one, I managed to source a working second-hand one to keep me going.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Got 512mb PC2700 DDR333MHz 200 pin SODIMM chip sat in my desk drawer if its any use. Was working when I took it out my Think pad.

Welcome to it if its any use.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Lads, thanks a lot. I’ll come back to you later as my mother-in-law’s daughter needs me to go to Tesco with her.
    ELI ELI LAMA SABACHTHANI

uplink
    Free Member

I have a 512 stick of pc2-4200 444 RAM & a 60GB SATA drive from a previous dead laptop sat here doing nothing if you want them?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have a HP Pavillion that’s not more than 3 or 4 years old it needs a new battery & wireless NIC
    £30 or so will have it back to good as new but I still don’t think it’s worth it

hey Uplink, I’ve got a Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI Adapter you’re more than welcome to have. Let me know

sharkbait
    Free Member

Actually I’ve also got a two unused cardbus wifi cards (1 x Netgear and 1 x Edimax) that I’m happy to give to deserving homes!

Hairychested
    Free Member

It seems there’re plenty of unwanted or obsolete computer/laptop parts around. Good to see we’re still humane despite our disagreements over “the important issues” such as what car for a grand? or should I go 29’er?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

In the post mate.

J

uplink
    Free Member

hey Uplink, I’ve got a Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI Adapter you’re more than welcome to have. Let me know

D’you know, I think I may have one of those kicking about too – thanks for the offer though & the memory jog 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ebay – “retro” + “collectable” = sorted

Spongebob
    Free Member

HP COMPAQ 311C-1020SA Cheap reconditioned unit.

A high performance Netbook with larger 11.6″ screen. My mate has one and rates it highly. He’s had a few high spec laptops through work and is an IT expert, so i trust his opinion.

Have a look at some reviews.

I might get one if I can get one at the right price, but the going rate on Amazon has recently leapt up from £239 (delivered) to £299! WTF!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Spongebob, when you’re jobless and have a bike to finish, how can you spend £200 on a netbook? Especially when there are people around who’ll help you so you won’t have to.
    I’d love a new Samsung netbook, or an HP or whatever is great, but unless this week’s European Lottery numbers come up as expected I won’t have it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member

I’m tempted by the solid drive (SDD?)

It’s the result of my businessman’s days. Those and severe debt too 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

BTW anyone got any DDR PC2-5200 memory (0.5 to 2GB would be nice)

Laptop or desktop memory? Will have a look see if I can help, I’m up your way Friday anyway so if I find anything could pop it by…

Hairy, might be able to be persuaded to part with a 120GB 5400rpm laptop HDD, it’s currently Mac formatted iirc (though obviously you can sort that quickly and easily), it had about a years use before it was replaced with a 320GB in my Mac as 120 was too small for me.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Hairychested – Member

Spongebob, when you’re jobless and have a bike to finish, how can you spend £200 on a netbook? Especially when there are people around who’ll help you so you won’t have to.
    I’d love a new Samsung netbook, or an HP or whatever is great, but unless this week’s European Lottery numbers come up as expected I won’t have it.

Fix your one with scrounged components then!

Or go lurk at your local tip until someone brings an old PC to chuck away.

Or “pike” one out of your local charity shop wheelie bin (they can’t sell non-PAC tested kit, so they throw everything).

Spongebob
    Free Member

when you’re jobless

Your not the only one!

z1ppy

Mboy, desktop please

mboy
    Free Member

z1ppy, will have a look, definitely had some laptop RAM of that speed, not sure on the desktop front.

Hairychested
    Free Member

mboy, keep me posted if you can, please.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks a lot, chaps. She’s flying now. Your generosity has resulted in my having a toiletSTW forum laptop 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Old laptop – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.