• This topic has 25 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • okehampton as a place to live
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Anyone here live there? Looks good for mtbing and walking but what about the rest of life? Went for a reccy yesterday and it seems ok.

Traffic to Exeter and beyond?
    Schools?
    Weather?
    Housing areas?
    The train unfortunately looks like summer only but is it useable in the summer for commuting?
    Anything to watch out for?

Will probably end up working away a fair amount so time travelling is important.

jam-bo

Cheap for Devon
    Got a Waitrose.
    20mins to Exeter outskirts on a30
    35mins to airport if your flying
    1hr30ish to Bristol airport
    35mins to bude for the beach, once they finish the a30 at Bodmin easy access to the rest of Cornwall.

Not great local riding.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I thought being near Dartmoor riding would be excellent.

jam-bo

It is. Just not the bits near okehampton.

TheBrick
    Free Member

How dose Newton abert compare?

cinnamon_girl

S’cuse me but I would! I’ve cycled from Okehampton to Hangingstone Hill for the 360 degree view, around Meldon Reservoir, to Sourton for a drink in that extraordinary pub, around Belstone Common etc etc.

jam-bo

Probably better and less isolated. Easy access to east Dartmoor etc. Worse access if your into surfing etc.

jam-bo

S’cuse me but I would! I’ve cycled from Okehampton to Hangingstone Hill for the 360 degree view, around Meldon Reservoir, to Sourton for a drink in that extraordinary pub, around Belstone Common etc etc.

Me too. But I wouldn’t want to live there.

Tavistock for me. I would live on the moors but I can’t afford it and I’m not living in princetown.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Only pub I’ve ever been threatened with a beating was in Okehampton

cinnamon_girl

What’s wrong with Princetown?

jam-bo

It’s dirt cheap for a reason…

cinnamon_girl

Ah OK. Stayed the night in the pub, hardly got any sleep due to there being a noisy wake taking place.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Have stayed near Princetown at a holiday let, popped into town for fry up supplies and was definitely a touch of Royston Vasey.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Having said that Yellowmeade Farm is an excellent place to stay.
    Desperately trying to get a job down there as Mrs M and I love Dartmoor.

slowbloke
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    How dose Newton abert compare?

Train links from Newton are very good. Mainline to Torquay, Exeter, Plymouth, etc. The A380 isn’t bad getting to Exeter and back now they have co posted the Kingskerswell bypass as otherwise getting back into Newton in the evening was a nightmare in the summer.

Riding local you have Dartmoor, Haldon and Woodbury Common.

Various bits of Newton Abbot can be very different to others but none are really what you would call rough.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Supprises you say NA is less isolated than Ok, looks about the same.

slowbloke
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    Supprises you say NA is less isolated than Ok, looks about the same.

It’s at the junction of 2 main rail lines and has pretty good (for Devon) bus links and it’s on the A380 and A38 (near enough). Plus you don’t have to go on the A30 which gets very busy on changeover day in the summer.

And best of all it has one of only 4 remaining original cider houses ks the country. The local brew is £2.40 a pint there 😉

jam-bo

Okehampton might be as close in distance but there **** all else around it. North is mostly farmland, south is moors and a lot of that is firing ranges.

I’d probably chose it over newton abbot though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Why? Less Chevy?

jam-bo

Better value for money.
    Better access for surf.

Depends where you’ve got to commute too.

CountZero

35mins to bude for the beach, once they finish the a30 at Bodmin easy access to the rest of Cornwall.

Hmmm, that may be a while, judging by what I see every time I drive along it, currently two or three times a week…

What’s wrong with Princetown?

Did you see it in daylight? Quite possibly one of the most depressing places I’ve ever been through!* The whole place is built from granite, and even on a sunny afternoon it looks like its shrouded in fog.
    They stuck the prison right in the centre of Dartmoor for a very good reason.
    * Even worse than Swindon…

TheBrick
    Free Member

I believe the colour is “misery” in the fluid range.

superstu
    Free Member

NA above Okehampton. I like the moors but Okehampton is just an isolated desolate place.

superstu
    Free Member

Although as Jam bo correctly says, closer to surf if that’s of interest.

jimdubleyou

My folks live near Sticklepath. The MTB riding round there is not great in my (limited) experience. Road riding not bad. Always seems to take forever to get there from Exeter but it’s not that far really.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My mum was from Okehampton, we used to stay there when we were kids, it was always cold

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘okehampton as a place to live’ is closed to new replies.