Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Offline maps on old phone…
  • santacoops
    Free Member

Has anyone done this successfuly? Trying to use my old Nokia that has gps receiver to use an app such as oryx maps or map droyd. Install is fine but getting an easy way to add offline maps from something like open streetmap is a techy ball ache. Any ideas anyone?

nickjb
    Free Member

What phone is it? Viewranger is the best but you will have to pay for it. You basically buy a few os maps and the app is free. Not sure what the cheapest package is, a friend of mine bought a small map pack for France then used the free maps in the UK. Once installed you can add a wide range of free maps for off-line browsing, you’ll need to increase the default memory allocated to map cache to save them. If you know someone who already has a copy then they can refer you and you’ll both get some free credits to buy maps, if you don’t know anyone email me and I’ll send you a referal link if you like. TrekBuddy is another option but it is a pain to add maps to.

santacoops
    Free Member

It’s a Nokia e71, I would have thought its compatible? My problem is doing things like adding cache etc. I’m not the best when it comes to techyness, in fact, I’m rubbish. Been trying to do it for free but its looking like I need to buy OS maps. Just need an easy way or someone to show me a simple step by step… as that’s how my brain tends to work!

nickjb
    Free Member

If you aren’t techy then getting free OS maps is pretty tricky as they don’t want you doing it so it involves a lot of fiddling. I’m not a fan of paying for software and I don’t mind fiddling with stuff but even I was happy to pay for Viewranger. Map packages are pretty cheap (eg £15 for Wales, £40 for Southern England) or you could buy a self select area or I think its about £1.50 for the just the app with no maps, then you can download free maps like opencyclemap and bing, should be fine on an E71. You can do everything on the phone, its dead easy. Increasing the cache is very simple, just setting/maps/map cache size

I just bought my local area in OS maps then a few extra map credits to cover trips, or I use the free maps. If you want that referral code for a few extra free OS maps then email me, nickjbanks(a)hotmail.com

santacoops
    Free Member

Thanks Nick. Just emailed.

santacoops
    Free Member

Bumpage for any other experiences…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Offline maps on old phone…’ is closed to new replies.