Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Off to London tomorrow
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Second anniversary tomorrow, so we have the day off and we're heading in to London.

We're doing the London Aquarium in the morning and maybe the Tate in the afternoon – but not sure about the Tate. Would you recommend it? Any other ideas for the afternoon?

BadlyWiredDog

Hang on, isn't heading into London what people do when they have to, you know, for work or court appearances or to see world-renowned dental surgeons? Why would you go there voluntarily?

[congratulations on your anniversary btw 🙂 ]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tate Britain is my choice. Tate Modern is a fine building full of rubbish, IMO! If you go to Tate Britain, let me know as it's near to Flash Towers! 😉

Go to the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery on Trafalgar Sqaure. Superb art in both. Whistlejacket is a thing of utter beauty. An old work of art that still stands out like something strikingly modern.

The Eye is great, really worth a trip if you ask me.

Have a superb day!

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, the Eye is good, totally agree with that one.

jon1973
    Free Member

Mainly for the Aquarium really. You can have a nice day out in London, as long as you don't HAVE to be there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jon, you come to London, one of the finest cities on this planet

Mainly for the Aquarium really.

You're missing so much wonderful stuff!
    The Musuems
    The Wallace Collection
    Kew Gardens
    etc, etc, etc, etc.

It's a truly wonderful place. Go explore. If I wasn't a little bit pished, I'd write a lot more! 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

CFH – did have the Tate Britian in mind as it's just across the River from the Aquarium – plus I get free corp entry to the exhibitions.

jon1973
    Free Member

I'm not a stranger to London, but I don't go there too often. I live in Farnborough which is only 40 mins away. We did the Museums last year and walked there from Lambeth through the park and Knightsbridge.

Far too much to do in one day, so you have to leave some stuff out I guess. Haven't been to the aquarium for about 7 years and I've heard they've revamped it, so I was interested to take a look.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tate Britain has a superb collection of Turners and Stubbs. That's enough to keep me happy! I often pop in at lunchtime for a few moments just to look at some of them.

Not sure what's on at the moment, I'm afraid, but you can do the Tate to Tate boat which is rather fun.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Agree with Flash about the Tate Modern the exhibits are seemingly randomly grouped but the main problem being getting a moment of peace to actually appreciate anything from the hordes of people they ram in there everyday. It's like the winter sales at Harrods.

If you are adamant about an art trip how about the Royal Academy who are apparently doing a retrospective of J.W.Waterhouse. It's a far more pleasant way to view art IMO.

djglover
    Free Member

Go to tate modern, then up st Paul for the view, then have a pint in the jerusalem tavern.

Walk up primrose hill and then have a bite to eat on Regents Park Road / Gloucester Ave

Kew Gardens, Museum in Docklands, Highgate Cemetery, London transport museum etc etc etc

aP
    Free Member

Tate Modern is a fine building full of rubbish

Spoken by a Cameronite who pretends that the 20th Century never existed.

Walk around, go to a couple of places you want to go to, have a nice meal somewhere, see some things you won't see outside of London, go away after having a nice time. Oh, and try not to dismiss things just because they might challenge you a bit.

MrSmith
    Free Member

currently a richard long exhibition on at tate britain.
    not been yet but i like his work.

jon1973
    Free Member

Never afraid to try something new / challenging aP. Warming towards the Tate Britian though. Maybe just spend some time just wondering around London. I'm sure we'll have a great time – weather looks great as well, which is always a bonus.

Thanks to all.

samuri
    Free Member

Namco station is right next to the eye, you know, if you're into video games. You can go up Tower bridge as well for the exhibition, that's pretty cool.

jon1973
    Free Member

LOL – samuri; I am in to Video games, but I fear the missus is not, I guess I might be pushing my luck as this is our second anniversary 'day out'. 😆 …on second thoughts though – maybe I can just plead ignorance 😈

tails
    Free Member

choices choices

nat gallery got some awesome stuff as well as CFH big horse painting they have the haywain, sunflowers, paintings by rubens, monet, geoges seuret (sp) bathers at asniers and i dare say thet have caravagio, rembrandt, da vinci, picasso

tate has hockneys bigger splash a very infuriating painting but amazing, loads of turners, donald judd who i really like, think they have constable stuff must have hurst pieces. loads of quality british art plus some

courtauld institute has degas, van gogh alot of impressionist stuff, plus sculpture and one of my favourite paintings

aP
    Free Member

Try the Soane Museum, Dulwich Picture Gallery, go to the British Museum – see the Great Court (even I though I personally don't think that mauch of it), go to the new British Library (probably the greatest, hated building in London), walk over Waterloo Bridge at dusk – the best Thames view, get lost in the Barbican (one of the great achievements in post war British architecture), go for a pint in a good pub (I'll let you choose which one), have anice time, go home with aching feet. I could suggest great tube stations to go to but that's more of an acquired taste. Have fun, enjoy it then leave, walk away….

tails
    Free Member

yep aP has a point dulwich gallery is meant to be good never been myself, or for a laugh saatchi gallery at sloane square an acquired taste, lovely building though.

ononeorange

The Richard Long exhibition at the Tate Britain is superb – if you appreciate open spaces and the "why" of outdoors, you'll enjoy it. Recommended.

aP
    Free Member

I keep forgetting about that Richard Long show. Its been a long time since the Hayward Gallery exhibition in 1991. Hmm… I have a course to go on Monday afternoon – I might "break my journey" on the way back.

chakaping
    Free Member

I'd go to Tate Britain over Modern too, and I actually like a lot of modern art.

RoterStern
    Free Member

How about the British museum? You can see more of Egypt there than you can in Egypt! Used to love sitting in that Norman Foster glass roofed courtyard having a cup of coffee. Those were the days.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Off to London tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.