Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Triathlon help needed
  • sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi
    After a gap of 20 yrs I’m going to try my 2nd triathlon. The training has been going well (apart from a twisted ankle) but I’m finding it difficult to get into the running after the bike. I know it is hard but does anyone have any tips how to get into my running stride quicker? At the moment it’s taking about 2 miles to get into my stride and I only have to run 2.5 on race day!
    Any advice will be gratefully received….

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I offer the below under the caveat that I’ve never done a tri (although I keep thinking about it) so these are just a few things to consider.

Is it possible to alter your position on the bike to make you more relaxed as you ride?

Try stretching whilst on the bike for the last mile or so.

Practise changeovers! i.e. a training session could be a half mile run followed by a mile on the bike…repeated several times.

alwyn
    Free Member

Get your cycle cadence the same as your run, that way your muscles are already working at the same speed. How do you cycle on the road bike? A more aero position works you glutes which helps with running after cycling.

A lot of practise helps, I haven’t done as many runs off the bike this season but get as many in as possible even if you only run 1 mile.

Are you doing Blenhiem? I have Windor in a weeks time, should be a good race.

TinMan
    Free Member

As they ^^^^^^ both said, a combination of practising the switch, known as ‘bricks’ (google ‘Brick training’) and also stretching your legs & matching cadence to running leg speed.

It never gets easy, just less difficult

roddersrambler
    Free Member

Of the few i tried,i found that it is a combination of the swim and the bike that hinders the run.Most triathletes don’t kick on the swim thus saving your legs.When training just throw a run after the bike,seems obvious but not many do it.
    Good Luck

Travis

As Tinman said, ‘Brick Training’
    Should be a staple part of a triathletes training diet. Distances and reps vary.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Triathlon help needed’ is closed to new replies.