Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Off bike for a month on doctors orders-show me some bike pics to cheer me up
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Let me set the scene: illness has kept me off the bike properly for over 3 years. I’m now at the stage where I can ride with someone else who knows what to do in case of a problem. My wife (best wife ever) found me someone who can do this for me so I can finally get out again.

A rush to get all of the parts ensues. As the date approaches I realise that all of the disks/adaptors/spacers I thought I had start looking a little thin on the ground. A bigger rush ensues. Many last minute “guaranteed next day delivery” orders and postage costs are incurred. Then I find that my brakes are leaking everywhere. Suddenly the reason that they were so cheap in America dawns. This causes a mad rush into town to get new brakes the day before the ride. The final build is completed with just enough time to get some sleep.

On the day I am psyched and ready to go. Put the bike in the car and head up to the Carron Valley trails. Feeling great. A few minutes from the car park my crank arm comes loose. No problem – a little tightening sorts that out. Start climbing and my laughable fitness makes itself noticeable. No problem – that will come back with time. Get to the first fun bit. Get a little uneasy going over the first rock bit. No problem – confidence will come with time. Ride down the trail and I’m all over the place. No problem – technique will come back with time. Go over the bars at the next obstacle. Ahh. Come down heavy, head first, on the ground. Ahh. I find myself in a place I like to call Concussion Avenue. Ride stops there, with a walk back to the car, glad that I had decided to use flats.

Concussion doesn’t improve over the next few days, seems to get worse actually. Several trips to A&E later, I have a severe head injury, seizures have started again (which re-sets the clock on the “1 year seizure-free” in order to get my driving licence back), and have been told that I am now off bike again for at least a month.
    Cheer me up. Show pictures of landscapes, bikes propped up against things, riding, shiny stuff, basically anything bike related.

wwaswas

reading the above you should be StoicDave 🙁

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Shizzle. That doesn’t sound good. 😥 Hope you start to feel better soon.

In the meantime here’s a couple of links for you.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2012-Photo-of-the-Year-Starts-Now-32-Photos-Selected.html

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lets-see-your-autumn-riding-pics

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Thank to you both.

Any more?

flyingmonkeycorps

Here you go! First couple from a Lakes trip, last one from a recent Peak Pootle…

IMG_0334 by Will Slater, on Flickr

IMG_0321 by Will Slater, on Flickr

IMG_0052 by Will Slater, on Flickr

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

It would seem you’re quite entitled to your forum name, hard luck man!!

I’ll sort some pics later but let youtube, redbull TV etc be your friend

Good luck with recovery.

SimonR

Hope you get healthy soon …. in the meantime maybe some of these pics will help ….

PB110496 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_6721 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_6864 by Simon_R, on Flickr

P8080086 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_0580 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_6209 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_6279 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_5964 by Simon_R, on Flickr

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Off bike for a month on doctors orders-show me some bike pics to cheer me up’ is closed to new replies.