• This topic has 211 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)
  • OCD… What are your compulsions then?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What is the opposite of OCD?

CGaF?

derek_starship
    Free Member

I ALWAYS use a paper towel to open the door in work/public toilets.

I also count my nose several times a day.

Any my back garden must be a complete and utter mess or I can’t sleep.

joolsburger
    Free Member

That’s it Yeti or ICCL.

theotherjonv

See someone else has the cutlery thing, but has a different (wrong) order. Clearly wrong. You always say ‘Knife and Fork’ don’t you? Use your knife and fork!’ Never ‘Use your fork and knife’ Hence in the drawer it has to be Knives, then forks, then spoons. Although I don’t mind if that’s left to right order, or top to bottom. It’s your cutlery tray, only a freak would dictate what way round you had to put that in your cutlery drawer!

I even went through a phase of arranging the wardrobe by colour, rainbow stylee

That’s not OCD

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/843241-saudi-prince-s-aide-was-very-effeminate

Kahurangi

I thought I was OCD, but compared to some of your lot I’m verging on normal.

My OCD traits in comparison are just logical!

I have a particular way of stacking the washing up board to fit an entire day’s washing up on the board… in fact I’m good at stacking/packing anything (I once asked “do all engineers come with good packing algorithms?”).

I used to have a compulsion where I couldn’t step on crack/edges of slabs but in addition, I couldn’t stand of the projected edges of large objects. See the washing machine or table in the middle of the kitchen? Take the 4 edges and project them across the floor. You can’t stand on those lines.

Then one day I just decided to stop.

I like to put my alarm at slightly off times, though I don’t have to.

And I did once leave the iron on when out for a weekend. Would have missed the bus to check.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

joolsburger – I believe that you’ve given the medically correct diagnosis.
    CGaF has a bit of a stigma attached to it these days.

steve-g
    Free Member

In the kitchen at work the cups are all stacked 2 high, when I go to get a coffee I can only take the top one of a stack, not a loner.

Socks – have to be pairs, fairly normal. Then the wife (just to wind me up im sure) got me socks that have days of the week written on them, so now not only do I have to find a pair, I have to be the monday pair if it’e monday etc.

When I get to work I have to open my applications in the same order, outlook first so its on the left, then windows explorer, then IE, then excel etc. If I accidentaly close outlook during the day then i have to close all the ather applications so I can get outlook back where it belongs.

Even number on the car stereo. 5s are OK

Light swictches should all be the right way round, however I moved house a week ago and the kitchen light switch has been put on the wrong way….one week in and I am still deciding if it bothers me enough to take it off and change it.

I get on the train at the same door everyday, and always make sure I sit facing backwards.

Loo roll has to hang the right way (away from the wall)

Things in the wardrobe have to face the same way.

Money in wallet has to be in denomination order and the right way up, facing forwards, coins i stack in size order, sometimes seperating the coppers and silvers.

I have to make sure I look at the clock on my monitor at work when the time is 12:34.

Cant do an odd number of reps in the gym.

Im sure there are more

IanB
    Free Member

Notes in my wallet have to be in order (£20’s at the back, £5’s at the front) with the queens head facing forward.
    Car stereo volume has to be even numbers or multiples of 5

Not just me then 😉 🙄

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

If anyone wants the names of some good help books or advice on getting the right CBT, give me a shout.

My psychologist wrote her thesis about me, so that just about sums up my relationship with this horrible spiteful illness. 🙁

chvck
    Free Member

When I get to work I have to open my applications in the same order, outlook first so its on the left, then windows explorer, then IE, then excel etc. If I accidentaly close outlook during the day then i have to close all the ather applications so I can get outlook back where it belongs.

If you’re running 7 (and I’m pretty sure Vista) then you can just drag any icon on the taskbar to where you want it to rearrange them. Dunno if that’ll help but may make your life easier if you use one of those!

oldgit
    Free Member

So Im pretty normal in STW way.
    Does anyone else get mildly disturbed by the shape of Marmite jars?

DezB
    Free Member

I used to enjoy watching a bloke out of my window – he’d park up his Austin Metro, lock the drivers door, lift the handle and pull.
    Then he’d do all the door handles in a clockwise order.
    Then he’d go round each window and run his hand along the top to check there was no gap.
    Then he’d repeat it all.

Imagine how tidy his cutlery drawer was!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Try having OCD with two toddlers living in the house. Your head will explode. I do though have a thing where all CDs and DVDs must be in their cases in the correct orientation.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I also count my nose several times a day.

Have you ever been surprised by the outcome?

xcgb
    Free Member

I have to make sure I look at the clock on my monitor at work when the time is 12:34.

How did that come about?

stevehine

Then the wife (just to wind me up im sure) got me socks that have days of the week written on them

I – along with my two brothers; was given the same present.

Of the three of us; the running joke was that one would wear the correct pair on the correct day; one would wear a pair; but not always the ‘right’ one and that I would at least be wearing socks…

dan1980
    Free Member

I have to sleep on the other side of the pillow to the side used the night before. I even manage this when I’m drunk.

I choose my bedding specifically to make this task easier, so I have a patterned side, and a plane side. If I stay in hotels or b&bs I have to carry on the same pattern (i.e. if I slept on the patterned side at home the night before, it has to be the plane side in the b&b)

I am unable to sleep if presented with just plain coloured pillows (although if they are different colours on each side, the darker side is “upgraded” to the “patterned” side in my head.

When I change my bed I have to be careful to leave the pillows (without cases) in the correct orientation so that when I replace the cases, the “right” side is up.

D0NK

Then the wife (just to wind me up im sure) got me socks that have days of the week written on them

now thats just cruel. I’ve got some, they have to be in pairs but not bothered about the right day, if I do (randomly) pick the right days socks then I just take it as a sign it’s going to be a good day 🙂

Oh yeah pumping tyres up, I always count and do 20 strokes at a time altho I manage to resist this if there’s a pressure gauge.

but loo roll, packing and stacking the dishes etc, surely this comes from you having experimented previously found the best method and sticking to it? Getting ready for a ride I have a routine it’s just the quickest way to get ready and not forget anything…or is it OCD…?

_tom_
    Free Member

As soon as I log onto a computer, first thing to be opened is Firefox and then check mail/forums etc. I have to have my taskbar in a certain order – FF, Thunderbird, any other programs and then any folders which are open. Windows 7 is good for this 🙂 My start menu contains my most used programs and has to be in the right order, from the top – FF, Winamp, Adobe programs in alphabetical order, Maya, Word and anything else I’m using frequently at the time. Oh and when I open a file (psd etc) I like to do it from inside the program rather than browsing to the folder and opening the individual psd etc file.

Bike wise I’m paranoid about punctures and pinch flats so check pressures all the time. I also do the counting thing when pumping tyres. I also count my pedal strokes on a climb or hard bit, think it just keeps my mind away from the fact that my lungs feel like they’re about to explode though.

steve-g
    Free Member

posting the 100th post

greenboy
    Free Member

Checking this forum, and making sure switches are turned off when I go out….I thought it was just me. I get so annoyed with myself even though I know they are all OK. There I@ve said it may be it’ll stop or become easier…..here’s hoping!!!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sometimes I forget to tighten the axles on my bike.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

posting the 100th post

FFGGHhfd DDFGYTTFff GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR AAAAAAAARRRRGGHHH!

(Goes off to arrange nuts+bolts in nuts + bolts box….)

hels
    Free Member

Nice one re socks. Some bastid got me some once that have left and right written on them. Have never been on the wrong feet.

Wardrobe stuff – agree. Can’t sleep if clothes on the floor. The toilet roll being the right way up is just common sense.

I still maintain that most of this is perfectly normal and healthy. Being tidy means you waste less time looking for stuff. Checking for your keys 20 times means you don’t get locked out. You can find your money quicker if it is stored correctly.

The lightswitch stuff is crossing the line to a dark place tho…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Does anyone else get mildly disturbed by the shape of Marmite jars?

You’re thinking of ladies’ bottoms, aren’t you?

scaredypants

steve-g – Member
    posting the 100th post

hahaha !
    imagine if post numbers came up next to the author’s name – carnage

richmtb

Some of you are clearly a couple of links short of a full chain!

Speaking of which how many of you have counted the links?

Are they an even number, or a mutiple of five?

Could they even be a multiple of thirteen?

Mwaa haa ha ha

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You’re thinking of ladies’ bottoms, aren’t you?

always :o)

Harry_the_Spider

NOOOOO!!! THE CORRECT WAY IS AGAINST THE WALL!

D0NK

Why? it’s harder to get at then!

xcgb
    Free Member

oh dear OCD Fight!

Harry_the_Spider

IT JUST IS!

Unless of course you have 4ft diameter bog rolls. In which case I grant you the toilet paper will be easier to reach. But you probably wouldn’t be able to open the bog door anyway, let alone perch on the crapper.

Paper against wall. End of.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

‘Hey baby, your bum is like a marmite jar’

I just don’t see that comparisson working as a chat up line.

D0NK

Paper against wall. End of.

No!

🙂

instanthit
    Free Member

ocd is a bit like doing your habits without stopping to think why your doing them and what the original (thought)intrusion was about.
    Here is an ocd metaphor;
    You see a man walking around your local high street throwing salt from his pockets; you ask him what are you doing?
    His reply, im throwing salt to stop the crocodiles from following me.
    You say; there are no crocodiles in this high street.
    He says; because im throwing salt.

sssimon
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

NOOOOO!!! THE CORRECT WAY IS AGAINST THE WALL!

that’s an ongoing battle in our house, mrs puts it against the wall, I turn it around.

I worked in hotels for years and the right way around is paper out

end of argument

(but the battle continues)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

oh, I was wrong, I do have have a compulsion – taking photos! Bums, trees, clouds, mountains, sunsets, water, flowers etc etc. I lug my heavy DSLR everywhere with me and feel uneasy if I don’t have it to hand 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Checking for your keys 20 times means you don’t get locked out.

No, checking for them once means you don’t get locked out. What’re the other 19 for? 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just in case you didn’t check properly the first time, or the second, or the third, or the fourth, or the fifth, or the sixth, or the seventh, or the eigth, or the ninth, or the tenth, or the elleventh, ot the twelth, or the thirteenth, or the fourteenth, or the fifthteenth, or the sixteenth, or the seventeenth, or the eighteenth, or the nineteenth.

Damn OCD is hard work. I’m definitely too lazy to have OCD.

Cougar

I used to be pretty CDO as a kid, now that I think about it.

I got it into my head that ‘even’ was good and ‘odd’ was bad. Cue me doing things twice, or doing things twice in a symmetrical way; eg, if I scratched my left arm, I’d to scratch my right arm or it felt unbalanced.

Then I realised that I was doing an even number of things, an odd number of times. So I started doing even things evenly – 2×2 = 4. Four was a -good- number.

From there, how could I improve on balance? 6 is wrong (it’s doing a pair three times) for instance. The solution, four is so great, 4×4=16. I started doing things 16 times; nothing important or time consuming particularly, I wasn’t getting washed 16 times in a morning or anything, but more subtle stuff like maybe chewing a mouthful 16 times. (I can’t actually remember specific examples, but that sounds likely).

I don’t do it any more (thank god) and I can’t exactly say why. I guess I just grew out of it I suppose.

These days I have habits that might be viewed as OCD, but there’s generally reasons for it. Like, I have my CDs in alphabetical order. OCD? My original reason was because I was lending them out, forgetting who I’d lent them to and losing them. In order, if there’s a gap then you stand a good chance or working out what that gap is, and that was generally enough to jog my memory. A side-effect of this is it makes things easier to find quickly. Once I realised this, I did the same with my books and films.

Last month, I was cooking in a bit of a panic as everything was needing attention at once, needed a herb and couldn’t find it amongst the two dozen I had. This was a problem cos things were going to burn if I spent any more time sifting through jars, so afterwards I alphabetised them all. My g/f’s reaction “oh my god, OCD much?!” but it’s been great since, it’s really helpful to be able to lay a hand on something instantly when your attention needs to be elsewhere.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘OCD… What are your compulsions then?’ is closed to new replies.