Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • oakley clear-black photochromics on sunny days
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Radarlocks arrived, look like they’re just the ticket but don’t seem to go that dark in sunshine. I don’t think it’ll be a major prob but how have others fared with them on sunny days?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not quite the same lens, but my Persimmon to Black have been utterly awesome in anything! They’ve even been used* on high alpine snowfields in the blinding sun to good effect.

*Not by me, I hasten to add. Black Snow Iridium Crowbars for me…!

fontmoss
    Free Member

wow if mine go that dark then im laughing!

The-Beard

Mine don’t go that dark on really hot days. Apparently they don’t work so well in the heat and I find that they struggle a bit when road riding on those rare really bright hot days. But for MTB rides they’re nigh on perfect. Used them from first light right through to darkness, really impressed. Plus the fit is perfect.

soundninjauk

Got some clear/black photochromic Split Jackets, and they’ve been perfect. My friends have all expressed jealousy at their stylishness and effectiveness, which let’s be honest is at least 75% of the battle won.

I’ve never ever noticed the transition wearing them mind, only when I take them off…

fontmoss
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ll prob stick with them. If I found I struggled on really bright days I guess I could invest in a dark lense in the future. Although they’re about £70!

clubber
    Free Member

mine aren’t all that dark either.

fontmoss
    Free Member

But still great? Did you get another lens for sunny conditions?

Shred
    Free Member

Anyone know if the current Radar lenses will fit the RadarLock?

Quite keen on these as I hate changing the lenses in my radars.

The-Beard

Normal radar lenses don’t fit all that well, but you can get them in.

OP – I bought a darker lens for road riding but I use the photochromic one for 99% of my riding. In fact, haven’t needed the darker lens yet. what a great British summer we’re having…

clubber
    Free Member

I’m still happy with them and since I’ve used them in blazing sun in Turkey and found them OK I reckon they’re pretty spot on for the uk. if I knew a ride was going to be all really sunny I’d probably still wear one of my other, darker lensed oakleys though.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

as above – clear/black iridium are nigh on perfect for UK riding most of the time (darkness – overcast – bit sunny). For proper blazing sun (i.e. abroad 😉 ) you may need/want some darker ones

philstone

I’ve got some in my Jawbones – they don’t go quite dark enough for really bright days but at the sametime I haven’t found myself squatting.. If it is a really bright day and I won’t be in woods etc then I use some darker lenses that are almost exactly the same as Iridiums – polarised as well – which I got from the US on ebay for £30. Otherwise the photochromic tick every box.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I haven’t found myself squatting

Always protect your eyes, even during an alfresco dump.

😉

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Had my Radar’s with clear-black photochromics for cirac just over 3 months now and loving them. As others have said, they don’t ‘darken’ down as much as I’d hoped for but I can’t think of an occasion yet where it’s really mattered. To have a lens that works 24/7 in all conditions was what I was hoping for…and they do just that.

In fairness we dont have ‘many’ wall to wall sunny days up here in Glasgow 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

Lol at squatting, anal squinting?
    Cheers guys, won’t have much cause for a dark lense
    tbh but wanted ti check how folk got on before got these glasses covered in sweat.

philstone

Always protect your eyes, even during an alfresco dump.

God damned auto-correct!!!

I did indeed mean squinting…! 😆

clubber
    Free Member

These are my clear-black lenses in the middle of a very sunny day in Turkey

These are my previous VR50 transitions on a similar day in Greece

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Vr50 transition are the best lenses for MTB. You can safely go from bright sun to thick wood/forest without having to touch the brakes.
    They are Great.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Clubber, that’s weird? Think you said before though that clear-black are better at the dark end (ie little/no sunlight) end of the spectrum than the VR50s?

clubber
    Free Member

yes basically my clear blacks have similar range to the vr50 but go lighter eg also go less dark.

martymac

can you get these lenses for the m frame?
    is it just a standard vr50 lens?

clubber
    Free Member

Just thought I’d add this – my clear/black lenses on a sunny day in N.Ireland. They were not quite dark.enough when the sun was low and in my face but OK for the rest. With hindsight I’d have worn my standard blue iridium lenses today but no one expects sun in NI 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

Cheers clubber

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘oakley clear-black photochromics on sunny days’ is closed to new replies.