Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Ny new Nomad 2011
  • matt23
    Free Member

Jesus druid busy today ain’t ya?

Queried with my LBS and they said you wouldn’t notice much difference to riding the 32 or the 36….they had 32’s in stock so I built them.

anything else you want to check up on me then??

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

the bike looks the b*ll*x

FTFY 😆

druidh
    Free Member

matt23 – Member
    Jesus druid busy today ain’t ya?

Queried with my LBS and they said you wouldn’t notice much difference to riding the 32 or the 36….they had 32’s in stock so I built them.

anything else you want to check up on me then??
    Nah – I just remember you asking previously and wondered what had happened. I have a carbon Blur – maybe that’s why your previous thread stuck in my memory?

I’ll not ask you to name the LBS though – might be a bit embarrassing for them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I find a weekend’s expedition eating raw squirrels sleeping under moss combined with a spot of dry stone walling* much better for clearing the head…

Im at the peak of mental ability and physical strength and fitness since that is part of my weekly routine.

I do allow myself an “off day” though, where I can go out and ride my bike, eat my body weight in carbohydrates and spend extortionate amounts of money on incorrect forks, wheels and stems for my bike.

Life is good!

matt23
    Free Member

BULLIES 😥

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ll not ask you to name the LBS though – might be a bit embarrassing for them

Beat me to it, but I was going to request they were named so that everyone can avoid them like the plague. Obviously had a carbon Nomad frame and 32 forks in stock they needed to get rid of. Any LBS that recommends a Nomad for XC riding, and then says you won’t notice the difference between and 32 and a 36 fork should have their reseller rights removed

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hurrah….we’ve broken him,that was quick. 😉
    Who’s next to unsuspectingly post a picture of their pride and joy only to get flamed with the incandescent light of the stw ‘truth’.
    NEXT!

steve_b77
    Free Member

My kitchen cupboard doors are wonky 🙁

nodrog2
    Free Member

Nice build matt23 🙂

Personally I wouldn’t build a Nomad the way you have and yes the stem is too long for my liking but it’s NOT MY BIKE. Do with it what you will and enjoy it. I own a Nomad myself with 160 forks, 50mm stem, wide bars, bigger tyres etc, great bikes. Should you feel the need you can always change stuff. Don’t know if anyone remembers but some of the off the peg Nomads used to come with Pikes so i don’t see any problem with 150mm Fox.

Just enjoy it mate as i’m sure you will.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVY1-v97Mic[/video]

matt23
    Free Member

Rorschach – you ain’t broken me at all.

And Captain Mainwaring – they actually had a blur in stock to and I, ME, choose the frame and fork.

Christ – I expected posting my bike on here would draw some comments but for some people to take it soo seriously is actually quite sad. Do people not realise that I choose the parts and asked them to build the bike – it’s my choice as nodrog2 mentioned if I want to update stuff later on I can.

My haven stem has actually just arrived so I will be fitting that tonight when I pick it up so at least I will satisfy the gods that are Rorschach and Captain Mainwaring and others.

Cheers nodrog2 I will.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its not really us who are taking it overly seriuosly now is it?
    Lets hope theres some irony awareness in the box with stem eh? 🙄

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I hope there is one of these in the stem box…

Ya mentalist!

DT78
    Free Member

I find it odd so many people like to pick fault…very nice bike

I have a mark 1 nomad, with pretty light kit on it (xtr, crest rims, 2.2 NNs, 36s) which is more than enough for uk riding. About 30-31lb

For its annual visit to morzine/uplift days I swap the wheelset (DMR DV rims / maxxis dual plys) and thats it…it’s good to go.

That stem is a little long though 🙂

I’m running a 65mm on a medium with a layback thomson I’m an ‘average’ build 5’11”. 50mm seemed too short for me.

matt23
    Free Member

Hey I’m reading this with a smile on my face…….I know that deep down you are all lovely fella’s really…..it’s the joys of posting on STW

Yeti – I’m gunna be p1ssed if that’s my new Gore jacket 😉

slowrider
    Free Member

matt23, can i ask if you tried the bike with a 36 before you settled on a 32? althoug the travel difference is only 10mm, the difference in length is more and it is quite a bit stiffer. not a critisism, just interested.

also, did you get a test ride on a nomad and a blur lt? what bike were you on before? i ask because if this is your first big bike they can feel a bit ’tilted back’ until you get your head around shifting your body position forawrd for the climbs. i was wondering if this was why you had gone for a girls fork shorter a2c length? 😉

matt23
    Free Member

Cheers slowrider – tested a blur on 32’s and a nomad on 32 and 36….this is my first big bike but I liked the Nomad 32 when I rode it round Brechfa a few months back.

The tilt back is not as bad as I thought it would be – I actually like it…..but with the saddle further back now and the shorter stem to be fixed tonight it will be better….will admit the bars are too small at the mo but the Haven’s are coming god knows where they are but they are coming.

slowrider
    Free Member

well, if you demo’d it and like it then i cant fault that really.

have you thought about a shorter i2i length shock to put the geomety back where it was designed and lower the bb a bit? thats a critisism ive heard about nomads before. could potentially unleash a right little ripper there! i had a plan to make a 120mm heckler a while back but never got round to it…

matt23
    Free Member

Not thought about shock length to be honest….. but I will see how it goes cheers for that slowrider

hitman
    Free Member

hope you enjoy your bike and have a blast!

stanley

This thread reminds me why I don’t come here so often these days….

…. If Matt likes his bike and enjoys riding (and looking at it)then that’s all that matters.
    Though I agree, I’m sure he’ll like it even more with a short stem.

Matt, most of the people criticising your choice probably ride around not really fully enjoying their rides; worrying if their choice of fork is right or if their damping is set just so, or what people might think of their non-matching chainstay protector or whatever;-)

Enjoy it while you can 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*chuckles at stanley*

It’s only a shame he didn’t take the pics out in his garden…

stanley

Well yes 😉

matt23
    Free Member

Christ can you please anyone on this forum ha ha…….I haven’t got a garden live in a flat 🙁

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Stop feeding the trolls they bite back 😆

matt23
    Free Member

😆 I know…..but it passes a quiet day in the office I suppose!

cinnamon_girl

You don’t think that nasty lot above ^^ actually ride a bike do you? 🙄

They spend far too much time sniping on here and on a weekend they’ll only venture onto the fire roads. 😉

Big girls blouses the lot of ’em. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C_G first rule about real-life is don’t talk about it on STW! 👿

flamejob
    Free Member

Hey, if it’s comfy for you then ignore that lot.

I ride with new people every week and some of their setups are waaaay more weird!

Hate the colour scheme, would never do that to one of my bikes 😉

cinnamon_girl

TSY – do men enjoy being wound up by a woman? 😉

flamejob – white does appear to be very on-trend, particularly white rims. Let’s leave it at that. 😉

Oh, and of course I daren’t criticise anyone else’s set-up. Glass houses springs to mind. 🙄

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

do men enjoy being wound up by a woman?

If that’s what they call it these days…

cinnamon_girl

😆

matt23
    Free Member

I will grant the white bar and stem combo are a bit OTT so the black bar n stem combo coming soon will be a welcome even for me!

Cheers for the comments guys (and girls) much appreciated!

cinnamon_girl

matt – I think your Nomad is nicer looking than the previous/original. 🙂

munkyboy
    Free Member

is this all about ‘having a carbon nomad’ but not needing one? after all it is the envy bike du jour, which probably generates all these lovely comments.

have to say weird build though, mind you i have an old 224 with sids

Wookster

For those who think I have the wrong bike/frame/groupset……entitled to your opinion and I expect it from posting my bike on here but I will happily keep up with you guys on XC race/trail/all mountain (maybe not balls out DH) – I may suffer on the hill going up (fitness) or going down (due to being scared probably) – but I will get there and smile my ass off all day long.

Comment of the thread for me!!!! Enjoy mate, I like the build and those fox forks are great. I think it will be a great fast fun bike.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

to all the “defenders”, this is a forum not Sycophant’s Corner. All the “detractors” have offered well-meant criticism, not driven by malice or envy, and the OP has admitted the tiller stem is too long (and even he thinks it might be a white overload). If I could afford a white carbon Nomad I’d have either that or the Mojo HD in a heartbeat.

I reckon white frame and fork, black everything else is a nice balance, but local riding buddy Trimix berates me that “white is not a colour”.

To the OP this was my Mk1 in light build mode (EC70 post and bar, Mg/Ti pedals, sub200grm saddle), later fitted with beefy Flatboys and Joplin.

in the chilterns, where 160mm and 8″ rotors are possibly overkill

and winter park colorado where they’re not

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Steve Peat used a nomad with 140mm Pikes on for a couple of years.

sprocker
    Free Member

I use a spicy with 150 forks works fine for me made a massive 1/2 deg difference in H/A.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Ny new Nomad 2011’ is closed to new replies.