Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Numpty SRAM GX AXS Q’s
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve been testing some e-bikes today, and the one thing I didn’t expect to be impressed by was electric shifting, but it was amazing

I tried 1 bike that had DI2 Shimano, and to be honest i didn’t like the shifter and it wasn’t as crisp as SRAM GX AXS

The SRAM bike had the 2 button ‘pod’ shifter , which I thought was great.

Couple of Q’s

The bike I’m going to buy is Shimano XT (manual).

1. Is it ok to use the SRAM system with shimano chain and cassette ? I’ve been told it is but want to check

2. When I look at ‘upgrade kits’ they come with a different shifter that looks more like a rocker

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/gs-gx-1e-a1

This is the type I used today which I liked

https://www.tweekscycles.com/sram-axs-pod-2-button-controller-ral00-3018-313-002/?istCompanyId=56f52ebf-49f3-492a-9cbb-cb6ab0fc1bf0&istFeedId=c2306de0-9ac7-40f5-b9fe-c99bd95845f7&istItemId=rqtxtxamm&istBid=t&awaid=6411&referrer=awin&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItqentJashgMVo5poCR308QIOEAQYByABEgJlOfD_BwE&utm_source=Affiliate_Window&utm_medium=Comparison%20Shopping%20Service%20(CSS)&utm_campaign=323889&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADcddnZ1mv1LTFJLKmFdBkUy3JBY2

But I can’t see it in any kits? Also batteries and charges, do they come with the mech or is it all sold separately?

Thanks

tomhoward

If you buy an eagle AXS upgrade kit, it comes with the old rocker style shifter, a battery and charger, and a mech, obvs. If you want the new pod style shifter, you need to buy that separately. (It’s part of the transmission groupset, not eagle) Not sure there are Transmission upgrade kits officially, but some shops may sell you the minimum required kit (which may include the cassette and chain)

If you buy a mech separately, it doesn’t come with a battery, charger or shifter.

Eagle will work fine with shimano cassette and chain.

minus
    Free Member

The kits come with everything, but if you just buy a derailleur that won’t include a battery. Pretty sure you can use shifters interchangeably.

worth being aware there are two versions of axs. The later version ‘T-Type’ has better shift quality, particularly under load. It has specific chains and cassettes. It works fine with other 12 speed stuff, but the shifting isn’t as good (although my experience is it is still better than older style mechs).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks both bikes I liked were indeed the T-type GX

That gets pretty dam expensive! You can get a T-type kit with mech, shifters and cassette but it’s £850 + !

May have to settle for DI2 it wasn’t bad by any stretch, just not quite as crisp. The shifter was no where near as pleasant to use.

I can get DI2 upgrade for £400

tomhoward

IIRC Di2 is due for a refresh pretty soon, so you may be more future proofed going for the more recently released T Type SRAM

bails

You can get non T-type AXS for less (ahem, stealth ad, see the classifieds)

rickmeister

Probably not an issue but check that your bike has a UDH hanger not an “ordinary” single bolt one one. Transmission or T type need this. AXS works with a “normal hanger arrangement,

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Probably not an issue but check that your bike has a UDH hanger not an “ordinary” single bolt one one

It’s going to be for a new bike, and yes it will take the T type

However the cost of going T Type is a lot, so going to go with Shimano DI2 XT which integrates with the Shimano motor

That brings the benefit of auto shifting (not that bothered) and free shift which does look interesting!

Just a shame their shifter is not as ergonomic as the SRAM system

honourablegeorge

You can get the Transmission upgrade here, just needs a shifter (either the old style axs, the one with the paddles or the new pod, they will all work)

https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-GX-Eagle-Transmission-Upgrade-Kit_1

Older GX shifters can have the paddle fitted, costs a few quid for the part, easy swap

https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-Eagle-AXS-Controller-Shifter-Lever-Rocker-Paddle-black

The auto shift/free shift will need to be supported by your bike/motor  too- I’d be very careful abuot that before buying, you might tend up in a world of  software upgrade hassle – and Di2 requires a load of stupid wiring and fiddling, it’s miles behind SRAM IMO

rickmeister

There ar ea few people on the Levo/Kenevo FB group running GX Transmission mech and standard 1275 GX Eagle cassettes.  I asked here to and it does seem to be possible.  I’d do some checking before going down that route but it could be a cost effective way of going.

northernremedy
    Free Member

Can I add to the numpty questions please? I’m running a v2 Hightower that doesn’t have UDH. Does this mean I can’t put the upgrade kit on aka https://www.bike-discount.de/en/sram-gx-eagle-axs-upgrade-kit-1 ?

Sorry such a basic question but it looks like it does work, but then I’m not sure!

tomhoward

You don’t need UDH for Eagle AXS. Only Transmission/t-type.

dc1988

That kit will work as it’s not Transmission T Type, it’s the older AXS that will attach to a normal mech hanger

dhague

For the GX Eagle upgrade you don’t need a UDH, so you’ll be fine.

northernremedy
    Free Member

Oh amazing team. Thank you so much! Have I cocked up tho in ordering a new cassette and chain that’s t type? I didn’t realise til I zoomed in

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/sram-gx-eagle-transmisson-12-speed-10-52-wear-and-tear-kit

honourablegeorge

Youvd probably soent more than you need to, the transmission stuff costs a lot more, and isn’t ideal for the mech you have, but will likely still work

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Watch out if buying from Germany for import charges and UK vat. I was stung recently buying from Bikediscount.

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve been running AXS for 4 years and run it with Shimano SLX, Deore, SRAM GX and NX cassettes.

Works faultlessly on all of them with Shimano, eagle and KMC chains

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.