Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Numpty question about Wills
  • thepurist

I’ve been using a solicitor to prepare my Will, but it kinda slipped to the bottom of my ‘to do’ list for about 8 months. The solicitor didn’t chase me, but just before Xmas I found it at the bottom of a stack of paperwork. I emailed the solicitor to ask what to do next etc and they haven’t come back to me. I’d had to chase them a bit the last time we were making revisions, so it seems that they’re not that fussed about getting my business.

This version looks fine and dandy to me so what’s to stop me just signing it with a couple of witnesses then sticking it somewhere safe? I’m guessing it would still be as valid as if it came out of the solicitor’s vaults, but could they get arsey about things?

Jenga
    Free Member

Nothing at all to stop you. Might be best not to name them as executors. It’s a myth that you need solicitors to deal with wills; you don’t. It can help if you’ve got complicated legacies, and there will need to be some legal involvement if there’s a property to sell, but wills can be drawn up by anyone. Also anyone can be a an executor; I’ve done a couple of family wills, and they are quite easy, it’s just the fear of the unknown that is offputting.

Just remember a witness cannot be a beneficiary. Make sure you store it safely, and that it’s whereabouts is obvious – both yourself and SWMBO could be involved in a car accident, so relative strangers will have to go through your papers, if they can find them!

midlifecrashes

Best to send multiple copies to various family/friends too. Often the first thing to disappear after a sudden death is the will, if family aren’t named beneficiaries/get what they want. The knowledge that there are other copies around keeps things how they should be.

thepurist

Thanks folks – if the solicitor ever comes back to me I’ll do the right thing, but for now I’ll just make sure it’s all in place. I don’t think I’ve got enough stuff to argue about, and not enough rellies to argue about it – probably why the solicitor lost interest in doing the job.

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi

as I’m trying to sort this out now – got a will pack from Law Society or something like that. I’m pretty much identifying all assets (and who gets any specific items/amounts).

I **thought** I read that the executor couldn’t be a beneficiary (as opposed to a witness) ??????????

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I **thought** I read that the executor couldn’t be a beneficiary (as opposed to a witness) ??????????

no, the executor can benefit. Also the witnesses are only witness to the signature, and the fact the signee isn’t batty, they need not read the will

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i misread thought this was about wii’s

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Numpty question about Wills’ is closed to new replies.