• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Nukeproof Neutron Wheel Hub Issue
  • Nick

I bought a set of wheels for my Giant Trance late last year from Chainreaction, and I’m having a bit of an issue with them, before I do a warranty claim I thought I’d just check I’m not being a bit of an eejit.

Nukeproof Neutron wheels, non-boost, 27.5.

So I’m riding about about happily for a little while, couple of months, then shifting is all over the place, takes me a little while before I realise that the cassette is actually moving..

Taking the wheel out and the hub almost falls apart, the end caps are very loose.

So I tighten them up, and now the hub won’t run free, nor will the free hub, if I back off the end caps the cassette is lose, sealed bearings don’t normally need to be carefully loaded like cup and cone.

It feels like there must be something missing, I mailed Nukeproof and didn’t get much help, they couldn’t even send me an exploded diagram.

Everything inside looks ok, bearnings are all really clean and smooth, hardly any wear.

So, warranty job? or has anyone any ideas?

dhrider
    Free Member

Pawls on freehub damaged?
    Ratchet ring damaged?
    Small spacer between bearing and freehub there?
    What colour is the axle end cap?

Spacer is in 2nd photo
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/nukeproof-neutron-freehub-body-shimano/rp-prod161995

Axle should be done up tight and everything should engage smoothly. There’s no need to preload like a cup and cone.

Nick

Thanks dhrider

The free hub isn’t as tight as the actual axle, in fact its probably ok, no damage I can see on the pawls or ratchet ring, I can’t spin it with my fingers, but it turns ok.

The spacer is there in the right place.

The axle end cap is black, like a top hat

Finger tight and the axle will not turn.

dhrider
    Free Member

Are the bearings smooth / free in the hub and freehub if you turn them by hand?

The ratchet ring should be tight and should not move. The freehub should obviously spin freely.

Sounds like the bearings need replaced possibly

dhrider
    Free Member

Hub drawing http://www.nguide.eu/sites/default/files/mysite/hubs/180/documents/BOM-D462SB-SL-X12.jpg

Is the seal correctly fitted and pushed into place too? If it’s not fitted right everything will be stiff

Nick

Its the bearing on the drive-side. I thought it was turning, and it looks completely spotless, but its seized, duh.

dhrider
    Free Member

Out of curiosity is it the hub bearing or freehub bearing?

Nick

Hub bearing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Neutron Wheel Hub Issue’ is closed to new replies.