Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • nukeproof mega with upgrade
  • bungle222
    Free Member

thinking of maybe upgrading my rear shock on my nukeproof mega and wondering if any one has done this on here, if so which shock and did it make the ride better. i normal ride in the gravity enduro so was thinking down the air shock route any thoughts
    cheers

Mugboo

Get Loco to tune yours first.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I have tried…

The standard shock for approx 6 months.

A high volume Fox RP2 for about 3 months.

A Fox Van RC with a 450lb spring.

I currently run the RP2 most of the time & have sold the standard Monarch.

I’ve fitted the Van RC on a few occasions now, both locally & I took it out to the Megavalanche & also for an Italian uplift holiday.

I ended up putting the RP2 back on the bike for the later stages of both trips.

None of these has been custom tuned for the bike & I suspect that I need to do this for the Van RC.

The RP2 felt much better for me than the standard Monarch.

ruscle
    Free Member

BOS Vip’r could be a choice worthy a look at. No real world experience of this shock yet (waiting on delivery for mine) but all the reports on it are very good. They are custom tuned for the bike and your weight/type of riding.

nasher
    Free Member

Hey there..

Did you ride with us in Molini? I remember a mega with a van..

I have been riding mine with a large volume rp23 kashima and an rp2.

The rp2 has a high hi speed compression tune, so on the climbs it nearly rigid and on the descents….better than the monarch but high volume shocks (especially on frames with a yoke) blow their travel too easily, and too much compression starts affecting small bump sensitivity..

I borrowed a small volume float CTD and it was much better mid range, try to get the volume of your float reduced and it will be much better..

Mine will have CCDB coil and a marz 55rc3ti soon….. the best currently out there in suspension…IMO of course

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Nasher – yes I did ride with you in Molini.

My RP2 has a medium compression & medium rebound tune.

I use the propedal frequently when climbing & really notice the difference between on and off.

For the benefit of the OP I’d pay more attention to what Nasher has to say than me – he’s got alot more experience riding than me.

BTW – I have just switched my fork to a Marzocchi 55 Micro Ti – wanted a RC3 Ti, but a good deal came up.

goatster
    Free Member

The Mega has a custom tuned Monarch specifically developed for the mega, so accordingly it “should” offer the best ride for the bike.

Ade you got any hews yet?

Tony

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

I have a ccdb air on mine, it is very good. It’s nice to have rebound damping that does something. When I looked at the options available and RP23 kashima was £370 and the ccdb was £450. It seemed like an obvious choice for the sake of £80 to get what everybody says is the best airshock. Obviously that is relying on the opinions of others but when some of the others are the NP team riders then I guess you have to add that weight to the decision. Nige Page uses the shock on his and noone knows the mega better than him. Anyway that was how I arrived at my decision and after a bit of faffing with the settings I reckon I have it pretty much spot on.

zangolin
    Free Member

Monarch Plus was my final choice after giving both the standard Monarch and a DHX 5 coil shocks a good trial on my Mega.
    Felt the Monarch Plus gave me the best of both the DHX coil and standard monarch shock. Thought about CCDB air and Vivid air shock but wanted to keep things as light as possible and after chatting with a few people who had used the MP on a Mega made my decision.
    Worth considering the Monarch Plus – I also like the ability to adjust the compression on the fly (Pro Pedal on Fox) to lock things out for long climbs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘nukeproof mega with upgrade’ is closed to new replies.