Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Not sure how to put this…. But….. "discomfort in man bits"
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

Hello all. As a Hub of all knowledge hope someone can help.

I ride daily. Commute 12 miles to work and 12 miles back 5 days a week. Also ride sat / sun.

Saddles all charge spoons. On bouncer, hardtail and cx (commuter).

Symptoms… Constantly need a piss. Feels like bladder infection or uti…. Docs say all clear. Nothing more they can do. No other symptoms. Psa check and prostate good.

So I am thinking of trying another saddle as the spoon may be irritating things. Tried changing angle but no help (nose down)

Anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas of a good saddle to try.

Thanks 🙂

Daffy

Try a saddle with a cutout. It’s likely that you’re putting too much pressure on the Perineum.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

OK thanks…. Anyone know a good one to try?

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I had similar my saddle was too narrow for my bones

Daffy

Id suggest going to a Specialized Store and getting a saddle fit for one of their BG saddles.

Width, style, material are all variables, but they all have the perineum cutout.

Alternatively, buy a few of them second hand on ebay, try them and then punt on the ones that don’t agree.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 body geometry, I finally settled on the old style Specialized Sonoma, but have always gotten on well with a number of BG models, wish they didn’t keep changing them tho.

Interestingly I used both a Spoon and Madison Flux for a while and at first they felt great but finally gave in for similar reasons to yours, on longer rides found self constantly sliding around trying to get comfortable.

Also worth checking if you anything has changed in your weight dept, or bunching short liners etc, any extra padding down there and/or weight from above can squash yer plumbing, ooof!

Don’t rule out UTI, they can go on for ages, get it checked.

Daffy

Also, are you commuting with a heavy load on your back? I commute a decent distance and can have sore nads/ass if i’m commuting with my 7kg laptop and it’s charger and accoutrements, as the bag weight it close to 15kg, which adds substantially to the weight on my sit bones.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Selle SMP eliminated my problems..

http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Selle Italia Gel Flow sorted me out. Although everyone’s arse is different they are very popular and by far the most popular in my CC. I see the lady’s version is becoming popular too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hernia?

I only say as I piss like a racehorse and very often have no choice over whether I want to hold on for a bit. Also the other end but I’ll spare you the details. I have a mild hernia that can manifest as groin cramps, bollock pain, arsehole pain or general bowel/bladder discomfort depending how its feeling. Little shit that it is.

iainc

Have a look at ISM saddles. I put them on all bikes a month before going for a prostatectomy. Good and comfy now 9 months post op…

Nobby

Firstly, has your GP sent you for a ‘flow’ test? It could be you’re not emptying your bladder properly each time you go.

With regard to saddles, get your butt measured & at least you’ll have the correct width to work with then you can start looking at what’s available shape wise to suit.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips. Will try the spesh saddle I think and give that a go. Don’t tend to ride with heavy load. Oh and I don’t tend to wear pads either…. Just shorts and boxers (I don’t do lycra but maybe I should) . I guess this may not be helping either.

Will mention flow test if I need to go back. Don’t think it’s a hernia as no pain…. Just irritation feeling.

epicyclo

Singlespeed – or use higher gears.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve been in the same situation (literally). Started a couple of years ago (I’m 36 for reference). Multiple tests including a camera shoved down unspeakable places to check for blockages found nothing. Then I dislocated my shoulder skiing and had an enforced break from biking; all symptoms cleared… then I started biking and they came back. Another discussion with a consultant urologist and the general view was tight muscles in lower back / hips pulling things to places they shouldn’t go and adding pressure.

So I tried some acupuncture (had a very awkward conversation try to explain everything to someone where English wasn’t first language). It all seems a bit weird but there is an (apparent) link between the urinary tract and some pressure points in the hand. It certainly helped despite my initial and continuing skepticism.

I’ve also switched saddles in my case to WTB Silverado’s; I was actually on Spesh BDG and had been for almost 10 years but the change seems to have helped. Along with the change I stretch out hips / glutes a lot and also use a foam roller to keep things loose as it were.

The second urologist also gave me a bit of a telling off for not mentioning I was a keen (20hours / week) cyclist during our initial consultation as it might have avoid some unpleasant experiences.

yosemitepaul

Prostatitis? No inflammation of the prostate, but similar symptoms to those you describe.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I often end up with my right bollock facing the wrong way. Especially on cold rides. Not sure what I can do about that either!

Seems to be OK and go back if left, though I live in fear of a twisted g’nad.

(No I haven’t tried a handwarmer down the pants, yet)

firestarter
    Free Member

I tried various spesh one but an smp solved the problem once and for all

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Not sure how to put this…. But….. "discomfort in man bits"’ is closed to new replies.