Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Not singing the National Anthem …
  • secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I know I said I was going to Llandegla, but the bike's in the car and I'll be off soon …

Just saw the National Anthem bit on the TV – two players, including Rooney, very obviously not singing whereas the others were. Now I'm not a monarchist by any stretch of the imagination, but having the honour of representing your country, etc, I'd sing it! Seems a bit off to me – the commentator reckons it's because they're concentrating. Hmm, does that mean that the other 9 weren't?

juan
    Free Member

I'd sing it!

Well get on the pitch with the england football team and then you can do as you want.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does always seem a bit odd, expecialy when you look at the rugby team who belt it out.

juan
    Free Member

everyone focuses differently

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Seems pointless to sing it if you dont believe in it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Treason! Few seem bothered mind.

highclimber
    Free Member

the england fans are singing it for them now!

Richie_B

Give him a break the national anthem probably has too many words for him to remember

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

1) I'm sceptical about the usefulness of gods
    2) likewise royalty
    3) we need a new nondenominational anthem

bigyinn
    Free Member

Billy Connelly suggested we just sing the theme tune to the Archers….

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I agree with the comment about needing a new national anthem, but in the absence of something more suitable, I think singing it should be encouraged as a way of uniting everyone. Yes, the supporters seem to be more than making up for it too.

Goal!!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

3) we need a new nondenominational anthem

You're not sceptical about the need to all sing along to toon though? 😉

richmtb

Rooney doesn't know the words!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think singing it should be encouraged as a way of uniting everyone

apart from people who believe in a different number of gods, believe that the name of god should not be mentioned or don't care to be ruled by an invading German family ?

You're not sceptical about the need to all sing along to toon though?

don't get me started on "need" or footie :o)

MSP

I will never ever sing the national anthem, its a disgrace and an insult to the nation.

Del

kind of the point, isn't it? united under the flag and all that, despite all the other differences
    that's why the americans have their kids do this every morning before school. one way to help keep the union together.

Hadge
    Free Member

Del, the Americans are so up their own arses they virtually brainwash themselves! The way they force their culture on other countries and what they do and stand for does them no good whatsoever. They call themselves world champions when the in at NFL for christs sake. I'm glad we try not follow what the yanks do.

TheBrick
    Free Member

**** the queen and **** god.

I would not sing it either.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

one way to help keep the union together.

one way to pretend it's together when it patently isn't

They call themselves world champions when the in at NFL for christs sake

I believe it was originally sponsored by "The World" newspaper – though of course that name may have been hubris too 🙂

epicyclo

Why would the England team sing the UK national anthem?

Doesn't England have an anthem of its own?

I can understand Scots not singing it because of some nasty references to encouraging genocide on Scots in the verse we don't sing anymore.

dave_aber
    Free Member

I think it's a pity that the english don't have a national anthem to sing, so have to borrow the UK one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Del – Member

…………..one way to help keep the union together.

2 points – one its the UK anthem not the english one – I think England should use Jerusalem and two – its not likely to do much for the union anyway iof you remeber the thirsd verse

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the Queen.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Rooney et all are probably too stupid to learn the words. I don't suppose they get much past God before they forget the rest.

Pointless bloody sport this cheeserolling. We need a new less boring national sport. I hear the paint drying championships are riveting this time of year.

Although then what would the Kyle class do for fun and violence?

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

didn't they use 'Land of Hope and Glory' at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester. That would be preferable to wrteched anthem we have at he mo

tazzymtb

right then let's start work on STW new version. May I suggest as the first line:

Being (male/female/undisclosed combination thereof which may or may not exist,) save our unelected, sponging waste of tax payers money.

who's got the second line?

MrsToast
    Free Member

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    and like a torrent rush,
    God save the Queen.

To be fair, it's only encouraging the crushing of rebellious Scots, the one who tow the line are fine!

Maybe if it had more verses about getting convictions for assault and nobbing your best mate's missus/your nanny/old prossies the England team would sing with a bit more gusto…

Admiralable
    Free Member

and while you are at it please can we have rooney and beckham executed?

coffeeking
    Free Member

There's no way you could have a song to represent all the people in a country without offending some of them.

epicyclo

Mrs Toast – Member
    'Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    and like a torrent rush,
    God save the King.'

To be fair, it's only encouraging the crushing of rebellious Scots, the one who tow the line are fine!

It still rankles though (it was only 250+ years ago or so) and the government didn't make that fine distinction between the rebellious and the others 🙂

tazzymtb

t still rankles though (it was only 250+ years ago or so) and the government didn't make that fine distinction between the rebellious and the others

yes, but to be fair you are all pasty white skinned gingers who wear skirts so you all look the same. It was an easy mistake to make 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LOL@ Mrs Toast

I still say Jerusalem for the English national Anthem. I don't like "land of hope and Glory – too jingoistic.

Its rousing building to crescendos, its about all of England

And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountains green
    And was the holy lamb of God
    On England's pleasant pastures seen

And did the countenance divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among those dark Satanic mills

Bring me my bow of burning gold
    Bring me my arrows of desire
    Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold
    Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
    'Til we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land
    'Til we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land

BigDummy
    Free Member

It still won't please simon, on the grounds of its very obvious judeao-christian-ness.

No atheistic-poly-goddish-sceptical-self-centrist can possibly sympathise with the concept of "building Jerusalem". It has no more symbolic resonance for such godless relativists than the concept of "building Milton Keynes" does for the hindus. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seems pointless to sing it if you dont believe in it.

Agreed. I do wonder how many of the crowd who happily sing it out loud actually care for queenie too.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It's the national anthem. While recognising that the hereditary principle is the wrong means of selecting a head of state, and being wholly unconvinced of god's part in the affairs of the nation, I am happy to sing the national anthem at times at which the national anthem is generally sung. I wonder how many English conscientious objectors to national anthem singing dabble in any genuine republicanism? 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All anthems are a bit daft really

"flower of Scotland" has its stupidities. Its dreadful dirge as well. It always amuses me at the rugby when Princess Ann (who is patron of the SRU) is singing it – with a wry smile at "and send him homeward"

Stiull – its not invoking any gods and does say – "those days are passed now"

O flower of Scotland
    When will we see
    Your like again
    That fought and died for
    Your wee bit hill and glen
    And stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

The hills are bare now
    And autumn leaves lie thick and still
    O'er land that is lost now
    Which those so dearly held
    And stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

Those days are passed now
    And in the past they must remain
    But we can still rise now
    And be the nation again
    And stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I once got slapped around the head by some silly Germanic cow (with her programme, muttering "Das Qveen! Das Qveen!") at a Royal Philharmonic concert for not standing for the "National Anthem", me being a republican atheist and all.

Was priveleged to see her charge into the bar during the interval only to trip up on the carpet and fall flat on her stupid face… 😈

BigDummy
    Free Member

Someone posted the full words of the Algerian national anthem yesterday. It was a song of liberation struggle against a colonial power conducted with considerable national sacrifice within living memory.

The reference in yours to proud Edward and in ours to Wade are so ludicrously anachronistic as to underline the silliness of worrying too much about it really. It would be utterly ludicrous for prncess Anne to throw her toys out of the pram on the subject, which clearly she doesn't. Expecting Sarkozy to sing along to Algeria's would clearly be a whole different thing (please, someone tell me if there is something on youtube…) 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well the queen is German. Saxe Coburg Gotha IIRC Married to a Greek / dane Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Italys anthem is a nice jolly tune

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wonder how many English conscientious objectors to national anthem singing dabble in any genuine republicanism?

you mean we have to sing it unless we're actively subverting the status quo ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Not singing the National Anthem …’ is closed to new replies.